Is Moon Boy the next Mushroom?

The Bard of Banefort

In the ASOIAF histories, it is said that Mushroom was able to gather so much information because everyone falsely believed him to be a lackwit. How likely is it that this is the same case with Moon Boy? Will we get a scene where Maester Samwell Tarly sits down to write his history of the War of the Five Kings while Moon Boy divulges every secret from his time in the Red Keep?

It's true for all fools (barring Aegon Frey).

Remeber Jinglebell singing The Bear and the Maiden fair to silence the Tyrells' conversation with Sansa? 

Patchface especially. He has been playing the game for a long time. His prophecies aren't coincidences. Meli was right in sensing danger about him. See this recent thread about him being responsible for Steffon Baratheon's death (at the behest of Tywin or not) in Shipbreakers' Bay. Patchface being behind many things was put forth by someone a few months ago, while i was still a greenhorn. I'll find that link soon.

Mushroom was exaggerating a lot to get his book lot of sales, like cheap pulp fic authors. Moonboy is palying the game.

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

In the ASOIAF histories, it is said that Mushroom was able to gather so much information because everyone falsely believed him to be a lackwit. How likely is it that this is the same case with Moon Boy? Will we get a scene where Maester Samwell Tarly sits down to write his history of the War of the Five Kings while Moon Boy divulges every secret from his time in the Red Keep?

Samwell was already at the wall when the war broke out.  The author of such will likely be somebody like a literate Podrick.  I suppose Sam could interview witnesses and write down the stories.  He seems like a lab geek to me.  

22 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

It's true for all fools (barring Aegon Frey).

Remeber Jinglebell singing The Bear and the Maiden fair to silence the Tyrells' conversation with Sansa? 

Patchface especially. He has been playing the game for a long time. His prophecies aren't coincidences. Meli was right in sensing danger about him. See this recent thread about him being responsible for Steffon Baratheon's death (at the behest of Tywin or not) in Shipbreakers' Bay. Patchface being behind many things was put forth by someone a few months ago, while i was still a greenhorn. I'll find that link soon.

Mushroom was exaggerating a lot to get his book lot of sales, like cheap pulp fic authors. Moonboy is palying the game.

Surely it was Butterbumps sang for the Tyrrells and Sansa, was it not? ;) Otherwise yah good call.  

1 hour ago, Reekazoid said:

Surely it was Butterbumps sang for the Tyrrells and Sansa, was it not? ;) Otherwise yah good call.  

Oops, sorry man, I stand corrected. It was Aegon Frey who's Jinglebell and I mixed it up. Butterbumps, yeah

Thanks for the FTFY and remarks, mate.

And we've just scratched the surface in the Fools' Conspiracy (like the Grand Maester or LF/Varys ones)

Fools like comedians are often if not usually quite intelligent and know how to entertain or get laughs.  They're often taken for goofs or idiots because they play a part, but it doesn't mean that's what they actually think, so Mushroom is a good example, Moon Boy as well. Patchface I dunno. He's pretty f'd up and rightly so.  Anyone theorizing that he was bought out by Tywin to sink Steffon's ship way back then is welcome to their opinion but I'm not buying.  He's "touched" I'd say by his ordeal and whatever happened with him down under the sea.  I'm not saying his words are gibberish, and sometimes may be prophetic (though I'd say he's just saying either the obvious or his opinion on things but through his weird perspective and way of saying them.  He's probably likely to do something f'd up and be the end of some folks, but I don't see him being on the level of Melisandre or Quithe, or even any of the wee woods witches we've seen.  He's interesting though.

Bet you're thinking of this:

The king's own fool, the pie-faced simpleton called Moon Boy, danced about on stilts, all in motley, making mock of everyone with such deft cruelty that Sansa wondered if he was simple after all.

Still. If he was so clever, he wouldn't have broken cover like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Moonboy is the modern Mushroom, and maybe a bit too clever for his own good. Sansa is not very suspicious, or forever on the lookout for slights, but the Lannisters are, and Moonboy is quite lucky that Joffrey is content to explain his jokes to Sansa, while Cersei ignores his performance and Tyrion chows on his horse in the Mountains of the Moon.

Moonboy pays attention to the High Septons of the day (it was he that dubbed the current one "High Sparrow") I wonder if perhaps he has some deeper connection to the faithful. Perhaps his father was a Septon? Or he was raised in the faith? I wonder too, if he knows more of the crown of the fat High Septon that was torn apart by the mob, the appointment and the death of the old high septon that Tyrion chose to replace him, the background and rise of the sparrows. 

Also, Moonboy is in very close contact with Dontos,thanks to Sansa. He sleeps with him(ACoK Ch 2 Sansa I), dances with him(ASoS Ch 28 Sansa III), is effectively his boss (ACoK Ch 18 Sansa II) and he knows whether or not Dontos had raped and impregnated Lollys a couple of months before the riots of King's Landing.

Moonboy noticed Dontos absences before and at Joffrey's wedding feast, and might know more and care more about his death than anyone else in King's Landing. Unlike Taena, he was not quick to come forward with his observations of Dontos and Sansa, although Cersei would be glad to hear them, and he has taken Spider's gold for whispers in the past 

Patchface is a 'sacred clown', a mouthpiece of the drowned god, or some sea thing. He has not spent the last twenty-two years pretending to be an unfunny sinister halfwit with prophetic visions. If Sam Tarly interviewed him for his history, what he said would make no sense to Sam. But it would probably be hilariously ironic to a reader of Sam's history a couple of hundred years later, who knew how Sam's life had played out. Dramatic irony is really the only funny thing about him.

ETA @Mad King Bolton, could you enumerate the "wee woods witches we've seen"? The only one I can recall is the Ghost of High Heart.

50 minutes ago, Walda said:

Yes. Moonboy is the modern Mushroom, and maybe a bit too clever for his own good. Sansa is not very suspicious, or forever on the lookout for slights, but the Lannisters are, and Moonboy is quite lucky that Joffrey is content to explain his jokes to Sansa, while Cersei ignores his performance and Tyrion chows on his horse in the Mountains of the Moon.

Moonboy pays attention to the High Septons of the day (it was he that dubbed the current one "High Sparrow") I wonder if perhaps he has some deeper connection to the faithful. Perhaps his father was a Septon? Or he was raised in the faith? I wonder too, if he knows more of the crown of the fat High Septon that was torn apart by the mob, the appointment and the death of the old high septon that Tyrion chose to replace him, the background and rise of the sparrows. 

Also, Moonboy is in very close contact with Dontos,thanks to Sansa. He sleeps with him(ACoK Ch 2 Sansa I), dances with him(ASoS Ch 28 Sansa III), is effectively his boss (ACoK Ch 18 Sansa II) and he knows whether or not Dontos had raped and impregnated Lollys a couple of months before the riots of King's Landing.

Moonboy noticed Dontos absences before and at Joffrey's wedding feast, and might know more and care more about his death than anyone else in King's Landing. Unlike Taena, he was not quick to come forward with his observations of Dontos and Sansa, although Cersei would be glad to hear them, and he has taken Spider's gold for whispers in the past 

Patchface is a 'sacred clown', a mouthpiece of the drowned god, or some sea thing. He has not spent the last twenty-two years pretending to be an unfunny sinister halfwit with prophetic visions. If Sam Tarly interviewed him for his history, what he said would make no sense to Sam. But it would probably be hilariously ironic to a reader of Sam's history a couple of hundred years later, who knew how Sam's life had played out. Dramatic irony is really the only funny thing about him.

ETA @Mad King Bolton, could you enumerate the "wee woods witches we've seen"? The only one I can recall is the Ghost of High Heart.

That's a great post, a lot of cool observations. Care to elaborate on the bold bit?

some nice observations and thoughts. I may have been mistaken in multiple woods witches as I had to look up Cersei's valonqar prophecy and it was by Maggy who I guess was a maegi and not a woods witch. But assuming the woods witch accompanying Jenny of Oldstones and the the High Heart one are the same person, there's also Mother Mole.  Anyway, the point, was that I didn't notice a lot of prophecy from Patchface so much as twisted observation, but I'm currently re-reading the books for the first time and noticing a lot of things I hadn't before, so I'll bow to your experience on the subject.

Archived