US Politics: Electoral College Votes (12/14/2020)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Did anyone else find it distracting that Trump was clearly in front of a greenscreen?  It looks like he hired Disney Star Wars to produce it.  Also, I mean, WTF?  Why can't he just be standing in front of that actual background?

53 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um, did you watch what he said?  He spent most of it complaining about small provisions in the budget, which is a GOP pastime since, like, FDR, and then he said he wants larger direct payments.  Great!  Pretty sure most Democrats would vote for increased direct payments, and if they don't, they're wrong.  Trump vetoing was always a possibility, but it makes the GOP/Trump look obstructionist, not the Dems.  If anyone got "outmaneuvered" it's McConnell for not anticipating Trump would do this and/or trying to make sure he wouldn't.

For a guy who brags on markets he sure knows how to tank them.

@Zorral

it is absolutely time for the 25th

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Here's Pelosi getting "outmaneuvered":

I was writing some longer defense of what I said, but this is exactly what needed to happen and I'm glad to eat my words.

ETA: My main concern came from the fact that the Dems often suck at messaging, and I was worried that given the fact that some Dems were out the defending that bill, it would make them look like that is what they wanted. Obviously we both know that is not the case, but a lot of people are just going to get the soundbites they see on Fox and CNN

4 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I was writing some longer defense of what I said, but this is exactly what needed to happen and I'm glad to eat my words.

Now my friend Dems have the upper hand and should lean into this hard.

Regardless of the optics of what is happening, we have the exact same scenario as couple months ago (same President, same control of House and Senate, with little changing in the latter). I'll never for the life of me understand why the negotiations took so long, and came to fruition now rather than in the fall, while many Americans were desperate for assistance.

I mean, I kind of understand, but it still boggles my mind.

Archived