HBO Planning Dunk and Egg, Other Thrones-properties

Westeros

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

He also said his deal with HBO was suspended. I’m not sure what that means.

Like a lot of creatives, George has a multi-year overall deal (in this case, I believed he is part way through a eight-figure development deal with HBO) to create and produce shows. One of the things that happened early during the WGA strike was that studios, streamers, etc. suspended these deals in light of the fact that WGA members were manifestly refusing to hold up their end of the deals during the strike.

What this means in practical terms may be that regular payments towards their contracts were on hold, I guess, as we're any other contractual perks.

More info here

Edited by Ran

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 3:34 AM, KingAerys_II said:

People follow hotd for the dragons, most fans of Hotd never read the books, It's a wrong choice Dunk and Egg, I don't think the fans find the tale of a kid and a tall man interesting compared to a civil war that involves battle of dragons, raids from the sea, and epic battles

It would have a smaller audience for sure, but most likely one of good size. There are audiences who are drawn to more thought-provoking plots/stories. They probably are the minority, but it's important that showrunners don't just cater to one type of audience. A different style and approach to a Dunk and Egg show would be a welcoming change of pace and scenery.

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

5 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

It would have a smaller audience for sure, but most likely one of good size. There are audiences who are drawn to more thought-provoking plots/stories. They probably are the minority, but it's important that showrunners don't just cater to one type of audience. A different style and approach to a Dunk and Egg show would be a welcoming change of pace and scenery.

Among the greatest fans there are the Kardashians, now, I guess they never read an Asoiaf book. 

People are already confused, some don't know if the Dance of the Dragons happened after or before Maegor reign, imagine another series that jumps from King Aegon III to king Aegon V, I think it's risky to develope a series without dragons or wars

Edited by KingAerys_II

2 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Among the greatest fans there are the Kardashians, now, I guess they never read an Asoiaf book. 

People are already confused, some don't know if the Dance of the Dragons happened after or before Maegor reign, imagine another series that jumps from King Aegon III to king Aegon V, I think it's risky to develope a series without dragons or wars

I'm not sure where you're getting info that the Kardashians have the greatest fans.. Reality TV is not one of the most popular TV genres. Drama, comedy, action, and sci-fi/fantasy are though. But it still doesn't matter who has the largest "fanbase". I wouldn't be too worried about audiences being too confused.  ;) Over 90 million copies of asoiaf have been sold world-wide. (And that's just info from 2019.) I'm not sure how many copies of D&E have been sold, but the novel series are popular, and it's a simpler plot than the main series. What's risky, imo, is making the same stuff over and over again until it turns into an MCU type of disaster. Fans have been pretty vocal about the lack of creativity in the film industry for years now. I think D&E would do rather well, better than a Jon Snow sequel imo. D&E could easily be presented as adventure/fantasy/comedy. Perhaps a similar style to The Princess Bride. (Actually, an 80's vibe to this show would be pretty cool.)

Edited by Ser Arthurs Dawn

7 hours ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

I'm not sure where you're getting info that the Kardashians have the greatest fans.. Reality TV is not one of the most popular TV genres. Drama, comedy, action, and sci-fi/fantasy are though. But it still doesn't matter who has the largest "fanbase". I wouldn't be too worried about audiences being too confused.  ;) Over 90 million copies of asoiaf have been sold world-wide. (And that's just info from 2019.) I'm not sure how many copies of D&E have been sold, but the novel series are popular, and it's a simpler plot than the main series. What's risky, imo, is making the same stuff over and over again until it turns into an MCU type of disaster. Fans have been pretty vocal about the lack of creativity in the film industry for years now. I think D&E would do rather well, better than a Jon Snow sequel imo. D&E could easily be presented as adventure/fantasy/comedy. Perhaps a similar style to The Princess Bride. (Actually, an 80's vibe to this show would be pretty cool.)

We are talking about novels that are not complete yet, there are no battles, no dragons, I sincerely prefer the author releases Winds of Winter, the project on the Long Night was interesting, they already wasted millions for the project, but I don't think they will develope something that has poor material from the books. 

There are rumors about Aegon Conquest, I would like a trilogy as LOTR. 

I sincerely hope they won't give us the Snow sequel, it has no sense, I don't like Kit Harrington 

5 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

We are talking about novels that are not complete yet..

Yeah, fair point that they're not complete yet, but people are still enthusiastic about the possibility of a D&E show.

5 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

there are no battles, no dragons..

You're still very hung up on this, but not everyone cares about either of these. You might, and that's totally fair and understandable! (And I love that for you ♥) Everyone has different preferences and taste in films and books. Dragons and major battles aren't a necessity to great storytelling, even in GRRM's series. For example, Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite films. There are a few short battle scenes, very short, since the story takes place during wartime, but it's the theme and heart of the film that draws viewers in. Does a little evil justify a greater good? Should our choices be determined by a utilitarian view or moral absolutism? It's a philosophical piece, and not every viewer will come out of it with the same opinion. And you don't need to to enjoy the film. For me personally, I don't care about dragons or battles. I prefer to feel challenged or inspired by characters, which is why I would prefer a D&E show over a film trilogy about Aegon's Conquest. I'm sure I would watch Aegon's Conquest and enjoy it overall, but it wouldn't be something I would want to watch more than once.

Honestly, I've seen more hype for a D&E show than I have for the possibility of Aegon's Conquest. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've seen a lot of excitement over it, so perhaps more people are invested in these unfinished novellas than we realize. I think, if done right, the show would be great. I respect your opinions and concerns though. :) 

39 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Yeah, fair point that they're not complete yet, but people are still enthusiastic about the possibility of a D&E show.

You're still very hung up on this, but not everyone cares about either of these. You might, and that's totally fair and understandable! (And I love that for you ♥) Everyone has different preferences and taste in films and books. Dragons and major battles aren't a necessity to great storytelling, even in GRRM's series. For example, Kingdom of Heaven is one of my favorite films. There are a few short battle scenes, very short, since the story takes place during wartime, but it's the theme and heart of the film that draws viewers in. Does a little evil justify a greater good? Should our choices be determined by a utilitarian view or moral absolutism? It's a philosophical piece, and not every viewer will come out of it with the same opinion. And you don't need to to enjoy the film. For me personally, I don't care about dragons or battles. I prefer to feel challenged or inspired by characters, which is why I would prefer a D&E show over a film trilogy about Aegon's Conquest. I'm sure I would watch Aegon's Conquest and enjoy it overall, but it wouldn't be something I would want to watch more than once.

Honestly, I've seen more hype for a D&E show than I have for the possibility of Aegon's Conquest. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've seen a lot of excitement over it, so perhaps more people are invested in these unfinished novellas than we realize. I think, if done right, the show would be great. I respect your opinions and concerns though. :) 

You forget that in Kingdom of Heaven there are Baldwin IV and Saladin, extremely charismatic characters

It's the story of a tall man and his squire, who is the prince and brother of the Targaryen version of Joffrey. 

Bloodraven and Shiera are the only interesting characters, then there are the heirs : Baelor and Maekar, there are no wars, duels in a trial and some tourney, dragons are extinct and, of course, there are no charismatic characters as Baldwin IV and Saladin

The show versions of Ned, Jon, and Daenerys weren't the most charismatic, but that didn't stop a lot of people from loving them. There isn't one way or reason fans connect to characters or a show. And dragons weren't everyone's reason for watching. Anecdotally, me and a lot of history-loving friends of mine got into the books/show despite fantasy elements like dragons. There's been several movies or shows with dragons that didn't catch on with anywhere near as many people as GOT did.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dunk & Egg returning Westeros filming to Northern Ireland?!

As first pointed out by Redanian Intelligence, veteran HBO Line Producer Lisa Byrne (who worked on all of Game of Thrones) updated her LinkedIn profile to list working on A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

HOWEVER, she listed the location of the project as Belfast, Northern Ireland:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/lisa-byrne-09564a69

This isn't necessarily proof, because it could just be an error: maybe someone copy-pasted " Belfast" by accident, from seeing her prior work on Game of Thrones. We have no way of confirming. And it's not as if Dunk & Egg, particularly "The Hedge Knight", would need a sprawling list of external locations (the whole first story is at one tournament). 

But we need to keep an eye on this.