For All Mankind (spoilers)

SpaceChampion

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

So Ed will be 81 in Season 5. I wonder if he'll still be on Mars? The idea he can't return to Earth for medical reasons might be interesting, and in Season 5 they might have people who've been born on Mars. In real life that would be an exceptional moment because the second that happens, they're kinda fucked, because they can't return to live on Earth if they decide to shutter the base down (the gravity would likely kill them within a relatively short time period).

I'm wondering if Season 5 is also them getting ready to slingshot out to exploring the moons of Jupiter. We've effectively had two seasons on Mars, just as we had two seasons about the Moon, so it makes sense to get further out.

I also wonder if Season 6 will just jump forwards to the modern day.

BELTA LOUDA!!!

Is there any difference between acceleration and deceleration? Either way, the engines will be pushing the ship forward relative to anything that was previously moving at the same velocity. Doesn't matter if the changing velocity is less negative or more positive.

2 hours ago, felice said:

Is there any difference between acceleration and deceleration? Either way, the engines will be pushing the ship forward relative to anything that was previously moving at the same velocity. Doesn't matter if the changing velocity is less negative or more positive.

yes, I was thinking incorrectly about the concept

Edited by Corvinus85
correcting thoughts

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

The engines don't push the ship forward during deceleration. The ship still moves in the same direction but at continuous reduced speed. And besides the negative velocity vector, there is also the negative force vector which is what determines in which direction humans attempting to hang onto the ship get to fly off.

The humans start off heading towards Mars at the same speed as the ship. If the ship slows down but the humans don't, they'll be heading in the direction in the direction of Mars faster. Ie, the direction the engines are firing is down. If the burn continued for so long that the ship reached a standstill and then started moving away from Mars, nothing would feel different for people on the ship.

1 minute ago, felice said:

The humans start off heading towards Mars at the same speed as the ship. If the ship slows down but the humans don't, they'll be heading in the direction in the direction of Mars faster. Ie, the direction the engines are firing is down. If the burn continued for so long that the ship reached a standstill and then started moving away from Mars, nothing would feel different for people on the ship.

You are right. I forgot how it was shown in The Expanse with the ships flipping around to decelerate, but the force pushing on the humans still in the same direction. So what the show did here was correct, too. :cheers:

On 1/9/2024 at 9:29 PM, Werthead said:

Depends how faithful they are being to the science. Once the asteroid is decelerated into Mars orbit, the energy expenditure required to move it onto an Earth-intercept orbit will be insane.

I can't really judge myself, but people on reddit offered some pretty compelling arguments for why that wouldn't be the case. Laws of conservation of energy and such. Naturally, the positioning would be off, but they'd need to wait only a couple of years for the planets to be properly aligned again. They'd  have to dismantle and replace Helios, though, and also the heist should have raised huge security concerns. As it happened, the plotters weren't actually terrorists, but  bringing the asteroid into Earth orbit, as well as success of the heist might have inspired some to actually try to crash it on their less favourite part of the world or use the threat of doing so as  blackmail. It would be more plausible if these secondary considerations ultimately prevented further attempts to move it, IMHO.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:34 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

I’m so happy Dani didn’t die.  Fridging her as the cost of keeping Mars would have sucked.  I’m surprised the Soviets wouldn’t insist on Margo going back for Russian style justice.  

Can Aleida escape culpability by claiming Margo wrote the code she inputted?

How long are we going to hide spoilers for the finale? In any case, I didn't like how they tarnished Dani this season, so that we wouldn't completely lose sympathy for the heisters. Not that I think that she is perfect and without flaws, but they had her behave in out of character ways and presented the whole worker struggle in a frankly bizarre light, so that there would be some kind of equivalency between her and Ed's actions.

Spoiler

I am glad that Dani didn't die, but the idea that she would have been so respected by both sides that they would come to their senses and stop brawling once she was shot felt completely unearned because of the above. It is clear that Ed had to win, given the thrust of the series, there was no need to frame her as an incompetent commander or to prevent Ed's chickens from coming home to roost. He pilots at his age and with a medical condition and 2 people die? It is fine, it was all an engineering mistake. The guy who outed him is ultimately depicted as murderous scum too. He tried to flex his position for the sake of nepotism yet again (and to cover up his condition)? It is fine, it didn't work and was quickly forgotten by the same people who pushed against him. He is co-responsible for the poor conditions in which Helios workers lived and worked and poor safety standards? It is fine, everybody forgot about it and didn't try to keep his feet to the fire over this. For that matter, as the top Helios employee on Mars, shouldn't _he_ have been the one to pressure the company on behalf of the strikers? Why did it fall solely to Dani and why was she depicted as a stooge of Helios management? Likewise, the M7 governments should have been pressuring Helios too and even tried to reach separate accomodation with the workers, given what was at stake, etc.

I expected Margo herself to wave her immunity if she had a chance to do so, which would have made sense and felt more powerful to boot. Yea, I guess that this was supposed to be Aleida's out. Though given Aleida's weird protestations of Margo's arrest and the embrace, it would seem very unbelievable. I guess that we are supposed to view these scenes entirely from "emotional truth" angle and not objectively.

• 2 months later...