For All Mankind (spoilers)

SpaceChampion

In terms of who they might want to kill off: Ed at 72 makes the most sense. Danielle at 59 they can keep trucking in older-age makeup next season, depending on the scale of the time jump.

An anomaly is Margo. They've never given a DOB, but we know she started working at NASA in 1966 and was probably in her late 20s or early 30s at the earliest (Wrenn Schmidt was 36-37 when they shot Season 1).  But they've not made her up really drastically, she looks maybe the same age as Danielle at the most when she might be a clear decade older.

I feel in S1, Margo was a young protege type, so I think she was maybe around Dani's age, maybe a few years, but not a lot older. Her arthritis gives her character an older appearance than she really is in S4.

Ed is so obvious that I can see them going the other way just because it'd be pretty expected.

So, Dani, Ed and Margo all have huge death flags - but who will actually bite it? I suspect that while Ed makes the most sense as the oldest, because he has been treated as the main character throughout the series, the  show-runners were afraid to drop him, so it is going to be one or both of the women. Also, it would subvert expectations to deny him the final blaze of glory which he craves.

Margo spent so much time staring at windows this season, that I expect a defenestration in her future. After she helps to deflect the asteroid to Mars while keeping Aleida out of it somehow. 

Dani, I dunno. They kinda tarnished her character a bit in the last few episodes and she is not on the Ranger, so while there are overwhelmingly strong death omens around her, I am not sure how it might happen. In a subversion vs Ed _she_ should be the one to getting that blaze of glory that she doesn't want, but the means elude me.

I do think that either the whole asteroid or parts of it are going to impact on Mars, so maybe  there is going to be a quake that damages the base? In fact, Dev may be secretly planning to crash the asteroid, since it might still be removed from Mars orbit in a couple of years otherwise.

How most of the important characters involved in the heist are going to avoid prison and remain relevant in the future is a puzzle, though.

28 minutes ago, Maia said:

I do think that either the whole asteroid or parts of it are going to impact on Mars, so maybe  there is going to be a quake that damages the base? In fact, Dev may be secretly planning to crash the asteroid, since it might still be removed from Mars orbit in a couple of years otherwise.

Depends how faithful they are being to the science. Once the asteroid is decelerated into Mars orbit, the energy expenditure required to move it onto an Earth-intercept orbit will be insane. This operation is only viable because the asteroid is swinging that way already and Mars was favourably placed to act as a gravity break.

Once it's locked in there, good luck. It'd be like trying to fly Deimos out of Mars orbit towards Earth. Not going to happen.

Spoiler

I’m so happy Dani didn’t die.  Fridging her as the cost of keeping Mars would have sucked.  I’m surprised the Soviets wouldn’t insist on Margo going back for Russian style justice.  

Can Aleida escape culpability by claiming Margo wrote the code she inputted?

I liked the ending. Much happier than the tragic stuff at the end of last season, and while it had its tension moments and people being stupid, it was relatively toned down

Spoiler

No asteroid crashes. :P

I was 80% sure Dani was a gonner. Glad that her story is probably over in the grand scheme, but she gets to enjoy retirement and be a grandma.

Curious about Ed as they didn't linger on him at the end at all. Very happy for Lee getting his wife to Mars.

I do have one criticism - the space scene

Spoiler

the way that fight went and their movement didn't make sense. If the ship was decelerating and we could clearly see the direction of the engine burn, then Sam shouldn't have been hanging on for dear life in that direction. She would have slammed against the ship. Same with Palmer when she throws him outward and only the tether saves him.

The whole thing made it seem like the ship was accelerating, but that's not what the intent was. They needed to insert the asteroid in Mars orbit, so they were trying to slow it down enough for that (or less for the people wanting to go to Earth)

Edited by Corvinus85

On 1/11/2024 at 10:34 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Hide contents

the way that fight went and their movement didn't make sense. If the ship was decelerating and we could clearly see the direction of the engine burn, then Sam shouldn't have been hanging on for dear life in that direction. She would have slammed against the ship. Same with Palmer when she throws him outward and only the tether saves him.

The whole thing made it seem like the ship was accelerating, but that's not what the intent was. They needed to insert the asteroid in Mars orbit, so they were trying to slow it down enough for that (or less for the people wanting to go to Earth)

Yes, that definitely was incorrect.  Tense though!  Surprised they didn't kill off someone in that fight.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:04 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Reveal hidden contents

No asteroid crashes. :P

I was 80% sure Dani was a gonner. Glad that her story is probably over in the grand scheme, but she gets to enjoy retirement and be a grandma.

Curious about Ed as they didn't linger on him at the end at all. Very happy for Lee getting his wife to Mars.

Reveal hidden contents

On that scene

Spoiler

They weren't decelerating. The whole point was to continue the acceleration longer, till Mars's gravity captured the asteroid. Stopping sooner was what Earth, and Dani's team, were trying to accomplish, since that would have pointed the asteroid in a trajectory that was far enough from Mars that the gravity would merely allow the asteroid the slingshot around Mars and be launched towards Earth. 

7 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

On that scene

Spoiler

The opening shot after the credits shows that Ranger-2 is in the direction of Mars. The burn was to slow down the asteroid to put it into a trajectory for a slingshot, and Dev and co. wanted to extend the burn to slow it down further to put it in a stable orbit around Mars instead.

So, yeah, Ranger-2's entire action is deceleration, not acceleration. Corvinus is right, they completely flipped around the direction of acceleration to make the action more interesting by making the ion engine a threat. 

All in all, enjoyable. Kind of went where I expected, although

Spoiler

I really thought Margo would defect back to the US in some formal fashion. And yeah, they faked us out pretty good with  managing not to kill anyone, except maybe Morozova accidentally falls out a window?

I do wonder how it works out with everyone back on Mars who took part in the mutiny. Ed, in particular. Would have liked to see some hint about that but there seemed to be nothing, besides our catching up with Dev a couple of years forward and seeing Goldilocks being mined (liked the name of the station, too, nice nod to Kuz).

Spoiler

Lots of weird choices in this episode. I liked that Chekov's gun made a return, but not how it was used. No way the Russians let Margo go over to the USA, she's got way too much info to give them. 6/10 finale, interested in seeing where this goes, not really all that interested in seeing how it gets there. 

Krys Marshall (Danielle Poole) did an AMA on Reddit. She gets asked early on what Danny tasted like and responded that the fans asking were "SICKOS!" Heh. And then she signed off with:

Spoiler

"That was fun. I love you guys. Thank you for coming. Danny tastes like chicken."

A joke, or... ? You decide!

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Krys Marshall (Danielle Poole) did an AMA on Reddit. She gets asked early on what Danny tasted like and responded that the fans asking were "SICKOS!" Heh. And then she signed off with:

Hide contents

"That was fun. I love you guys. Thank you for coming. Danny tastes like chicken."

A joke, or... ? You decide!

The whole “stay on Mars” season 3.5 was sort of “The Martian” x8

18 hours ago, Ran said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The opening shot after the credits shows that Ranger-2 is in the direction of Mars. The burn was to slow down the asteroid to put it into a trajectory for a slingshot, and Dev and co. wanted to extend the burn to slow it down further to put it in a stable orbit around Mars instead.

So, yeah, Ranger-2's entire action is deceleration, not acceleration. Corvinus is right, they completely flipped around the direction of acceleration to make the action more interesting by making the ion engine a threat. 

Huh. You're right on the post-credits scene. And they even have Will say the same thing, but the entire spacewalk convinced me the opposite was happening. 

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

Huh. You're right on the post-credits scene. And they even have Will say the same thing, but the entire spacewalk convinced me the opposite was happening. 

Because they were doing it the wrong way. It's baffling really. They should have designed that end module of the ship differently to increase the likelihood of someone getting thrown off during a deceleration burn to add to the tension.

So Ed will be 81 in Season 5. I wonder if he'll still be on Mars? The idea he can't return to Earth for medical reasons might be interesting, and in Season 5 they might have people who've been born on Mars. In real life that would be an exceptional moment because the second that happens, they're kinda fucked, because they can't return to live on Earth if they decide to shutter the base down (the gravity would likely kill them within a relatively short time period).

I'm wondering if Season 5 is also them getting ready to slingshot out to exploring the moons of Jupiter. We've effectively had two seasons on Mars, just as we had two seasons about the Moon, so it makes sense to get further out.

I also wonder if Season 6 will just jump forwards to the modern day.

Edited by Werthead