Golf: The Majors and Minors 2021

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Shit, I wasn't following because more interesting sporting events were happening, but Lefty did it. Hats off to him even if he had no business playing in the tournament. 

How so? I heard he got an invite to the US Open coming up in June, did he get one to participate in this PGA Championship?

5 minutes ago, ithanos said:

How so? I heard he got an invite to the US Open coming up in June, did he get one to participate in this PGA Championship?

I've been under the impression he's been on a classy version of the invite tour for a while now. He just reupped that membership by three years.*

*Written by a guy who called soccer players generally soft in the morning while doing a yoga video which is just swaying back and forth to close out the night. At least I cleaned, planted in my garden, cooked, worked out twice, read several books, studied for grad school and drank and smoked like a man! :P

Does he not have some sort of exemption based on career wins? Anyway won't have to worry about that for a while now. Congrats to lefty was never a huge fan but his banter has helped my opinion of him grow in the last few years.

10 hours ago, lmanion said:

Does he not have some sort of exemption based on career wins? Anyway won't have to worry about that for a while now. Congrats to lefty was never a huge fan but his banter has helped my opinion of him grow in the last few years.

He had already had exemptions for most things for a while, this win extends them. More info: https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html

With his historic victory at the PGA Championship at Kiawah Island on Sunday, the 50-year-old has locked up exemptions into the next five editions of the U.S. Open as well as an appearance at the World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational this summer. He had just accepted – and probably begrudgingly, at least as it concerns his competitive spirit – an exemption into the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines in June, but now he’s in on merit.

As a former winner of the Masters (three times) and the PGA Championship (now twice), he’s exempt into those majors for as long as he wants. The winner’s exemption at The Open Championship (one win) extends to his age-60 season of 2030. A victory at the U.S. Open yields a 10-year exemption into that major.

Mickelson also secured PGA TOUR membership through 2025-26. A five-year extension is the maximum possible beyond any current season. He’s never been in the position to burn a career earnings exemption, so he’s set for at least another two seasons after that. The World Golf Hall of Famer ranks second all-time in earnings among PGA TOUR members with $94.6 million

• 4 weeks later...

Is it actually ok to talk about golf in this thread and not just Tiger Woods? (How is he doing, anyway?) I’m surprised no one mentioned people who don’t bother getting vaccinated and get kicked out of tournaments after Round 3 leading by 6 shots. I guess Jon Rahm is vaccinated now, you think?

Anyway, the US Open has started with most of the first round completed, play suspended for darkness because of the fog-delayed start. 

Edited by L'oiseau français

Just now, L'oiseau français said:

Is it actually ok to talk about golf in this thread and not just Tiger Woods? (How is he doing, anyway?) I’m surprised no one mentioned people who don’t bother getting vaccinated and get kicked out of tournaments after Round 3 leafing by 6 shots. I guess Jon Rahm is vaccinated now, you think?

Anyway, the US Open has started with most of the first round completed, play suspended for darkness because of the fog-delayed start. 

Talk about the ultimate carrot vs. stick moment.

If you'd like I can rename the thread to be more golf centric. I just figured the title was warranted given Tiger's crash and that the prior thread was archived.  

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Talk about the ultimate carrot vs. stick moment.

If you'd like I can rename the thread to be more golf centric. I just figured the title was warranted given Tiger's crash and that the prior thread was archived.  

Lol, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings! The title was perfectly warranted, I think it is, in fact, the end of an era. Mind you, I never dreamed he could win the Masters again. He’ll work on a comeback, so don’t write him off just yet!

7 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

Lol, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings! The title was perfectly warranted, I think it is, in fact, the end of an era. Mind you, I never dreamed he could win the Masters again. He’ll work on a comeback, so don’t write him off just yet!

Lol, I doubt you could ever really hurt my feelings that much Bird, both because you're too nice and I'm somewhat narcissistic, albeit self-aware.

You're right though in saying the title needs updating.

I’ve been watching the US Open from the start and it’s just been awesome to see Mackenzie Hughes climb that leaderboard to the top, I’m kinda terrified now, wondering if I should watch today, the old playoff-game-7 jinx in mind.

While it would be fabulous to see Hughes win, I actually watched Henley win his first PGA tournament, notable because he is one of the few people to win their very first PGA outing. I wouldn’t mind him winning, nor Oosthuizen either.

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It blows my mind that after the start to their careers Rory and Speith only have the few majors they each have. Rory looks well set tonight though. 

Both are such odd cases. I figured both were going to be legends, but they've each fallen off in an odd way.

I mean, Rahm hit two or three crazy shots and never got a penalty, and poor Hughes makes one really bad shot in 4 days and gets entirely screwed. Poor bastard. Lol, Just for that I hope Rahm doesn't win. Actually, I still think someone who failed to get vaccinated doesn't deserve it, lol.