MLB 2021: The Shohei Must Go On*

kairparavel

37 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Soooo...you're solidly in the, "universal DH" camp...?

Like all sane, rational, pro-labor folks like don't have a kink for watching professionals embarrass themselves doing something they haven't done in many years (do you see a lot of pitchers batting in the minors? Do you get excited about their stats?)

I mean, christ, the Cubs pitchers in 2021 - in 272 PAs (less than half of ONE player) they slashed .112 / .134 / .124 (love that lower SLG than OBP - that's the good shit) with 3 doubles, 5 RBI, and 119 strikeouts (44% k rate). SHAME, SHAME, SHAME

13 minutes ago, Week said:

Like all sane, rational, pro-labor folks like don't have a kink for watching professionals embarrass themselves doing something they haven't done in many years

:cheers:

ETA:  I'd also point out forcing Chien-Ming Wang to bat - and subsequently run the bases - may well have ruined his career.  Racists.

6 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I’m in the “if you can’t run without hurting yourself you probably shouldn’t be a professional athlete” camp.

....So you're saying Chien-Ming Wang shouldn't be considered a professional athlete because he got hurt doing something he rarely ever did?

9 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I’m in the “if you can’t run without hurting yourself you probably shouldn’t be a professional athlete” camp.

I suspect you run that track in Cali that kills all those horses. 

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

....So you're saying Chien-Ming Wang shouldn't be considered a professional athlete because he got hurt doing something he rarely ever did?

I’m saying that injuries happen in sports, and one guy getting injured while doing something commonly done in the sport he plays is not sufficient reason for a rule change.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I suspect you run that track in Cali that kills all those horses. 

I, like all Californians, do my running in the Los Angeles River basin.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I’m saying that injuries happen in sports, and one guy getting injured while doing something commonly done in the sport he plays is not sufficient reason for a rule change.

Ok.  That's different than clearly implying that Wang shouldn't be a professional athlete.

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

We're talking about batting not running though. It typically, but not always, happens after an at bat (look at that ChC pitching staff OBP). The injury happened after he ran the bases (scored a run too!) after fielder's choice due to a bad bunt. Love watching that good baseball. 

Also, running the bases in a competitive game is a different skill than running. Considering it was a foot injury, I surmise it was an awkward touch of the base.

Yeah the Wang example, while obviously an extreme example, is to emphasize the point that almost every pitcher doesn't have any business batting or running the basepaths because that's not what they're trained to do, certainly has nothing to do with why they're professional athletes, and consequently makes them needlessly more susceptible to injury.

The same could be said for an offensive lineman trying to play cornerback or a gunner on kick coverage.  Obviously, the latter two are still "commonly done in the sport he plays," but an offensive lineman shouldn't try to play cornerback or line up as a gunner because they will absolutely suck at it and be much more likely to get injured.  Just like a pitcher trying to bat and run the bases.

Archived