Who will tell Jon snow that Robb chose him as the next king in the north

The "Greatjon" Umber

On 11/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, Lady Topspin said:

@The "Greatjon" Umber  Robb Stark left the north to a bastard brother!  That is a lot of presumption on your part.  Sansa was the better choice.  Robb was not expecting to lose the war.  He expected to win and become the king of the north.  As such, he could invalidate Sansa's marriage after the Lannisters are defeated.

You also must consider the issue of legality.  Did Robb have the proper authority to bequeath the north to a bastard brother who has already given his vows to the Nightswatch.  I am thinking he did not. 

If Robb won the war he could quite easily change his will at that point of time, indeed he intended to if Jeyne had a son (maybe a daughter as well?).

"Young, and a king," he said. "A king must have an heir. If I should die in my next battle, the kingdom must not die with me. By law Sansa is next in line of succession, so Winterfell and the north would pass to her." His mouth tightened. "To her, and her lord husband. Tyrion Lannister. I cannot allow that. I will not allow that. That dwarf must never have the north."

He made the will to protect against the immediate threat of his untimely death. Sansa simply wasn't an option.

As for the authority to take Jon away, it is questionable whether it is honorable but Robb had at least considered it.

"Jon is a brother of the Night's Watch, sworn to take no wife and hold no lands. Those who take the black serve for life."

"So do the knights of the Kingsguard. That did not stop the Lannisters from stripping the white cloaks from Ser Barristan Selmy and Ser Boros Blount when they had no more use for them. If I send the Watch a hundred men in Jon's place, I'll wager they find some way to release him from his vows."

21 hours ago, Makk said:

If Robb won the war he could quite easily change his will at that point of time, indeed he intended to if Jeyne had a son (maybe a daughter as well?).

The problem is that there have to be so many sub points in his will, he could never account for every possibility. Lets say Jeyne is pregnant (and really that's the only importance of her in the story if GRRM was truthful about her playing a big part), then that child would be the heir. However that child won't be of use to anyone until over a decade later. So Robb would have to name someone to rule in the child's stead until it comes of age. Then there is the added problem of the possibility of the child being female. Martin has been clear about there never having been a female Stark who ruled in her own right (I'd love to debate the mathematical improbability of that with GRRM but he doesn't do science so whatever). So even if Robb had a child, if that child is female it's useless for the line of succession anyway. Just ask Serena Stark.

The will was also made under false assumptions. Sure Robb made it under what he currently knew as the truth but we all know different. And we also know that certain people are aware of the falsehood of said truth. The clansmen know about Bran and Wyman knows about Rickon. Then there is Arya, both real and fake. Jeyne hasn't been outed yet to all the northern Lords as a fake so technically there is already a Stark present. Unlikely though it may be, real Arya could also pop up. And if Sansa reappears then all you need to do is get rid of her illegal marriage (Joffrey was a false king, Tyrion was already married etc.) and you have another Stark.

I don't see what it matters what was in the will in regards to Jon. The Lords won't give Jon Winterfell or a crown if it means bypassing legal heirs. If they make that a precedence then there will be hell in the North with bastards coming out of the woods claiming their rightful seat.

On 11/14/2021 at 3:26 AM, Lady Topspin said:

@The "Greatjon" Umber  Robb Stark left the north to a bastard brother!  That is a lot of presumption on your part.  Sansa was the better choice.  Robb was not expecting to lose the war.  He expected to win and become the king of the north.  As such, he could invalidate Sansa's marriage after the Lannisters are defeated.

You also must consider the issue of legality.  Did Robb have the proper authority to bequeath the north to a bastard brother who has already given his vows to the Nightswatch.  I am thinking he did not. 

While you are absolutely right that Sansa was the better choice over Jon, she was married to the enemy at the time.  Invalidating the marriage is an interesting idea.    Does Robb think about prior precedence for releasing Jon from his NW vows--or was he planning to make his own?   Kings have a whole lot of leeway and we know that while a cunning military strategist, Robb did a lot of thinking with his heart.   Prior to the GOT experience I never imagined Jon would end up KITN.  King Jon was a prospect I had no faith Robb's will could pull off.   Still, with the north currently fractured any Stark may fit the bill.  

Archived