Burning Kings landing

Tywin's Wallet

Offering alternate way of the presumed burning. It's pretty obvious to a lot of the fandom that KL will be burned. I don't think it will go down the same way as in the show (crazy woman on a dragon) even if D & D had a template b/c many characters were missing. I think GRRM may opt for a classic Westeros politik move to accomplish this instead. I think that Aegon's reign will be met with cheer, but looking at the situation in Westeros: Winter famine, the others,  Stannis' rebellion, redistribution of land to his foreign allies (gold company); gray scale outbreak , Euron raiding and rebelling, faith of the seven now being an armed - cheers will not last. So I think instead of mad Danny getting on a dragon and burning the city,  I think what makes more sense if for her an Tyrion to intentionally drive Aegon to make a bad mistake banking on his desperation to kick him out of the Cyvasse board:

- Daenerys has proved her cunning tricking the masters in Astapor, she also got her people to successfully take Meereen. She pulled a trick more than once she can do it again. Her character is going through a change, but that doesn't mean that she'll come back overtly violent. I think that it will be more interesting for her to come back as more of a Visenya type - less emotional, more pragmatical, threating and more keen to using violence as a means to an end at a precise moment not for violence sake.

- With Tyrion at her back and all the stuff she's learning in Slaver's bay she can definitely come up with the types of political tricks that could easily match a red wedding. So she doesn't have to burn kings landing herself but Tyrion and her can easily drive a desperate, inexperienced stressed out king to make a big mistake that will get him killed.

- It doesn't make sense for Daenerys come back overtly "fire and blood" when she needs Westeros on  her side. I think it's most likely that she will rule with influence at first until people realize who the real power in Westeros is. All she has to do is arrive in Dragonstone and park her dragons and army by DOS when things are really desperate and just watch Aegon come asking favors ("Auntie can I have a dragon, auntie can I have an army, auntie this auntie that" even if Tyrion told him not to do this). Asking will give Danny a chance to publicly step in to fix Aegon's problems until soon enough the lords of Westeros understand who really rules House Targaryen and start considering Aegon as weak.  

-  I think that Daenerys frustrate Aegon by reserving the right of giving him a dragon and challenge him to prove himself worthy of being a king w/o needing her so much. It is likely that Aegon will grow infuriated that his own allies will lose trust in him and in order to prove himself he'll try to steal a dragon and not knowing how to control one (or not having dragon's blood) he will burn kings landing and go down in flames with the city. 

- For Daenerys mission accomplished - she tricked her nephew, got him out of the way and power resides where people think it resides. She becomes the queen of the ashes with support and so what's left is the war with the others where she'll meet her end. I think that she will  become overly confident and cruel and get stabbed by Jon Snow, but it will be because she'll make a dumb mistake and get herself turned in a white walker so powerful that can can control dragons and Jon will have to stab her in the heart with a dragon glass knife or long claw.   

that's literally the best theory I have seen about burning king's landing so far. but I still think the bells triggering someone into madness seems too much George R R Martin..  D&D probably took that detail from him.. and I think that mad someone will be Jon Connington whose few chapters were completely filled up with bloody bells; since Jonny has no dragon , I think he'll either burn the place down by wildfire or have a sacking even worse than Tywin's..... still , admittedly, bells madness of JonCon and Dany manipulating Aegon into Kings landing fire folly could be two separate occasions. 

• 8 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 1:27 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean, I totally believe King's Landing will burn in the books but I assume it will be Cersei who does it with wildfire as a sort of denial of assets.

Again, we had one Mad Queen, no need for two.

Cersei is one possibility though I doubt if it will be Dany v Cersei.

I think the likeliest is that Daenerys has a hard fight for the city, her armies fight their way in, and then someone ignites combustibles in one of the wooden buildings.  A fire takes hold, until it eventually reaches one of the hidden caches of wildfire which explodes.  At that point, the fire rages out of control across the city, sucking in oxygen, which creates a firestorm.  We won't see Dany flying up and down streets torching civilians.  

Very likely, the carnage will be terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, SeanF said:

Cersei is one possibility though I doubt if it will be Dany v Cersei.

I think the likeliest is that Daenerys has a hard fight for the city, her armies fight their way in, and then someone ignites combustibles in one of the wooden buildings.  A fire takes hold, until it eventually reaches one of the hidden caches of wildfire which explodes.  At that point, the fire rages out of control across the city, sucking in oxygen, which creates a firestorm.  We won't see Dany flying up and down streets torching civilians.  

Very likely, the carnage will be terrible. 

The only problem here is that it will be winter by the time Dany shows up.

In the epilogue of A Dance with Dragons, King's Landing got a couple of inches of snow and ice. When the Long Night begins in earnest (which will probably happen either at the same time Dany arrives or shortly before), it will be colder with even more snow and ice.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:29 AM, Tywin's Wallet said:

Yes! I think the whole Danny vs. Cersei in the show was more because writer's either didn't understand ASOIAF in general or just chose to ignore it. 

I think they just chose to ignore it.

You could probably say that they didn't understand anything about ASOIAF if they only messed up the supernatural, the emotional and the more loftier, thematic aspects of the series. But the upcoming Targaryen conflict is almost entirely political...perfectly in sync with the "you win or die, game of thrones" thing that the creators chose to focus on. Which tells me that they chose to ignore it.

28 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

The only problem here is that it will be winter by the time Dany shows up.

In the epilogue of A Dance with Dragons, King's Landing got a couple of inches of snow and ice. When the Long Night begins in earnest (which will probably happen either at the same time Dany arrives or shortly before), it will be colder with even more snow and ice.

I think they just chose to ignore it.

You could probably say that they didn't understand anything about ASOIAF if they only messed up the supernatural, the emotional and the more loftier, thematic aspects of the series. But the upcoming Targaryen conflict is almost entirely political...perfectly in sync with the "you win or die, game of thrones" thing that the creators chose to focus on. Which tells me that they chose to ignore it.

Even in winter, wooden cities can burn

Archived