Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

a question -- England have asked the umpires to check the ball multiple times (the ball has passed each time). I know that they're looking for deformation in the ball, but are there other reasons why they might want to get rid of this one and try their chances with another one? 

Also -- assuming that a side declines the new ball once it's offered at the 80th over, can the team request the new ball at any time after the 80th over? Or this choice a use-it-or-lose-it situation?

11 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

a question -- England have asked the umpires to check the ball multiple times (the ball has passed each time). I know that they're looking for deformation in the ball, but are there other reasons why they might want to get rid of this one and try their chances with another one? 

You might get another ball that does more either in the air or off the wicket as no two balls would be identical, even though they try and get the replacement ball to be close enough in age to the ball currently being used. It's essentially a tactic by the bowling team to change something up when you're in situations like this one with the batting team piling on the runs

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Apparently Moeen Ali’s said he’s open to coming back to test cricket. He doesn’t really offer the control England could do with either but it’s not like England have a spinner who does waiting in the wings and he’s a better all round cricketer and probably offers a bit more of a wicket taking threat.

Interesting. The spot for being England's go to spinner is certainly open for whoever wants  it.

4 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I know that they're looking for deformation in the ball, but are there other reasons why they might want to get rid of this one and try their chances with another one?

Because it's not swinging and they want one that does. It's a bit of a lottery how much balls swing so they're hoping they get a more responsive one. In this specific case I think their problem is that the ball's gone soft which is generally not great for the bowlers. Apparently that's a bit of a recurring issue for this season's batch of Dukes balls.

7 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Also -- assuming that a side declines the new ball once it's offered at the 80th over, can the team request the new ball at any time after the 80th over?

Yeah, they can take it at any point they want after 80 overs.

I'm not really sure what England were thinking deciding to bowl first. Presumably they were expecting the ball to do a bit more than it did but it looks like a very good batting pitch. Admittedly, some woeful catching from both sides probably makes the scorecard look a bit better for the batsmen than it should.

Lees and Pope have made a decent start to England's innings. We shall see tomorrow whether they can turn that into the sort of big innings both players really need.

I think England's path to a potential win in this one was to bat a couple of days, bat once, get 650 plus then hope New Zealand collapse in a heap on day five (they probably wouldn't have given they're generally fairly solid). I think Stokes has probably messed that up trying to force the pace too much today.

From a New Zealand perspective you'd think the plan is come away with some sort of first innings lead, bat for however long and stick England in on day five and hope for them to collapse in a heap (doesn't seem particularly unlikely).

Still, the draw has to be strong favourite on this pitch.

There was something inevitable about Joe Root's century. Pope also had one of his best innings playing for England, hopefully he can build on it for the rest of the summer. I was sceptical about promoting him to number 3 when he's struggled at his more accustomed position lower down the order but if he can play a few more innings like that it might turn out well.

12 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think England's path to a potential win in this one was to bat a couple of days, bat once, get 650 plus then hope New Zealand collapse in a heap on day five (they probably wouldn't have given they're generally fairly solid). I think Stokes has probably messed that up trying to force the pace too much today.

From a New Zealand perspective you'd think the plan is come away with some sort of first innings lead, bat for however long and stick England in on day five and hope for them to collapse in a heap (doesn't seem particularly unlikely).

Still, the draw has to be strong favourite on this pitch.

I think there are only 2 possible outcomes now, a draw or an England win. If England can put the hammer down to build up a substantial lead by stumps and then bowl at NZ for day 5 in hopes of an innings victory that is a possible path to victory. I don't see NZ having time to bowl England out for roughly the same score and then bat to a big enough lead and have time to knock England over a second time even with a relative collapse. I think NZ needs to forget about a win and try to dry up England's runs so they don't have a big enough lead to confidently declare at or even before stumps. Geez, if England declares with a defensible lead with an hour to play on day 4 things could get very nervy for NZ.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think there are only 2 possible outcomes now, a draw or an England win. If England can put the hammer down to build up a substantial lead by stumps and then bowl at NZ for day 5 in hopes of an innings victory that is a possible path to victory. I don't see NZ having time to bowl England out for roughly the same score and then bat to a big enough lead and have time to knock England over a second time even with a relative collapse. I think NZ needs to forget about a win and try to dry up England's runs so they don't have a big enough lead to confidently declare at or even before stumps. Geez, if England declares with a defensible lead with an hour to play on day 4 things could get very nervy for NZ.

I am not sure many England supporters will share your confidence about them not being able to lose from here. 

The NZ tail needs to just stay in as long as they can. The conventional wisdom used to be that 250 was a difficult chase for the 4th innings, not sure if that's still the case. I feel like getting well past 250 is necessary if NZ doesn't want to lose, but getting too far past 250 will make it difficult to give NZ enough time to win.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The NZ tail needs to just stay in as long as they can. The conventional wisdom used to be that 250 was a difficult chase for the 4th innings, not sure if that's still the case. I feel like getting well past 250 is necessary if NZ doesn't want to lose, but getting too far past 250 will make it difficult to give NZ enough time to win.

I think you’re far too pessimistic. There’s a reason the longest word in the English language is spectacularenglandbattingcollapse.

I’m not entirely sure this approach from Stokes and Bairstow is advisable. England are less than half way there and they’ve only got one batsman left who’s much use after these two. I suppose some positivity is nice but they’re the ones who’re winning the series.

ETA: Bairstow’s just gone into total one day mode. It’s certainly entertaining anyway.

ETA2: Stokes looks like he’s done something to one of his knee ligaments. Not ideal, either for today or the rest of the summer.

Archived