Winter Olympics 2022. I'm now Norwegian, deal with it.

About time we started this, the old thread was past its sell by date anyway.

Not sure we need sub threads? Hardly any of them got any traction during the summer games and I'd imagine even fewer people will be interested in the winter games?

Sports I'm most looking forward to - cross country skiing, nordic combined (no women's events, shocking), biathlon. 

Norway are projected to win 22 gold medals which would absolutely destroy the all time record (14). 

I'll also watch the downhill skiing, but anything on a snowboard can fuck off, especially where judges are involved, a race is fair enough I suppose.

Also looking forward to westeros's 4 yearly obsession with curling despite nobody really understanding what the caretakers with the brushes are for. 

Curling is great because you have to be modestly in shape, and being skilled is a plus:) You also can’t be too uppity and curl, because you have some jobs to do. Figure skating requires artistry and mad athletics, all to music( judging is an issue but there is a lot of technique… how do they do the jumps at all)! Hockey is like fast soccer, if body checking were allowed. There was a show called Battle of the Blades. They paired pro figure skaters with pro hockey players who were just learning the dance part and they compete as 2 person teams!

Aren’t we all a little Norwegian at this time?

Norwegian men's cross country team coach has a positive. Which delays their departure and messes with their prep even if nobody gets it (cross country skiing is at altitude).

As they were likely to win at the very least 3 golds, this is not a great start. 

It's sort of started, we won our first curling match which is probably our best chance of a gold. 

A few very good medal prospects have been ruled out by covid. Imagine training your whole life for this to happen the week before your crowning glory. I'd have been getting coughed all over 2 months out. 

On 1/21/2022 at 6:03 PM, HoodedCrow said:

Curling, hockey, figure skating of all kinds. These are my national rink sports:)

If I turn it on by some accident, it'll be for hockey or biathlon most likely. 

Speed skating and those ski jumping events if I can't help it.

Couldn't give a toss about figure skating. 

With no horse in the race, and timezones being the way they are, I'm rather unlikely to watch anything live.

I may try to catch some alpine skiing, ski jumping and hockey but I'm not really optimistic.

Norway have had a nightmare, defending Olympic champions, World number ones, world champions etc getting ripped out of their XC, Nordic combined and Biathlon teams for positive or close contacts. 

I can't blame someone for getting it but how can you not avoid being a close contact for 2 weeks before the Olympics? 

I get much more excited for the winter games than the summer ones.  Absolutely enthralled watching all the skiing stuff.  I don't really follow much (especially since Ligety retired) but I did check out the POV cruise down the downhill course and its pretty fucking awesome this year.  Very low information of what's ahead of you.  I would not be comfortable opening up and ripping that run at 100% unless I knew it like the back of my hand.  A couple of the turns on the bottom third are sphincter clenching and just go on and on.   The conditions are going to very consistent, dry, hardpacked, blown snow.  Should be a fast course. Won't be sloppy or too chopped up, any one who takes a tumble is going to have caught an edge or caught some air by accident.   

Stoked to watch the Nordic too, that's probably the sport I spend the most time participating in, nuts to watch people do it competitvely rather than just kicking around in the woods. I dont know that there is a more exhausting or full body sport out there other than gymnastics or parkour.

And of course biathalon is always fun to watch.

On a side note, NY states winter games are coming up, and they use the ski jump built for the Lake Placid Olympics.  I think I'm going to drive up there and at least watch the jumps for a day. 

Redemption for Jacobellis in snowboard Cross.

She was the person who did the biggest fuck up in sport history, showboating and losing the gold when pulling a trick and falling over when it was in the bag. Just won gold age 36. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

'Russia, we will call you the ROC and let you compete as long as you absolutely promise to send clean athletes'. 

'We promise'. 

They should have been banned. 

Archived