NFL 2022 Playoffs: What Is Dead May Never Die

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

The ESPN radio news hits as I was driving around at lunch basically made it sound like it is definitely moving forward.  Not done, but progressing.

Back to ESPN radio, I had it on for like two minutes this afternoon and they were talking about the Giants back up QB situation.

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Mark Sanchez made the AFCCG two years in a row, and we could all see that he sucked.  Garrapollo is better than that, but I'm not at all impressed by his winning percentage.  It is quite obvious watching the games that his team is winning in spite of him, not because of him.  He's not the player that Alex Smith was when the Niners ditched him, and he fetched "only" a second round pick and a late rounder himself.

Jimmy’s playoff history is the ultimate example of QB wins not being a good measurement tool.

If you’re a Niners fan trying to be optimistic you should look at the Wentz deal considering Jimmy is probably the better QB at this point.  Talk about a ski mask HoF move by the Iggles.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you’re a Niners fan trying to be optimistic you should look at the Wentz deal considering Jimmy is probably the better QB at this point.

Yeah I think there's a very good chance Garoppolo's deal has conditions based on playing time or whatever next year just like Wentz's was.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Back to ESPN radio, I had it on for like two minutes this afternoon and they were talking about the Giants back up QB situation.

Gah.  That's the sort of thing that has lead me to not listen near as much as I used to.  If I had to guess, I'd say you had it on Bart and Hahn.  

There was a time that I used to have Mike and Mike playing while I was in the shower and getting ready in the morning.  I'd listen to Colin Cowherd while driving around.  I'd have afternoon streaming Scott Van Pelt in the afternoon.  Its not like any of them were masterpieces, but they knew they had a national audience at least.

I didn't enjoy LeBatard and didn't listen often, but at least he knew he wasn't just doing a Miami audience.

This most recent line up is awful.  How Keyshawn Johnson has a radio gig is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  Every time I tried to listen this season it felt like he was trying to tell me how Cam Newton was going to have this great bounce back year.  First for the Pats... then he was going to show out in Carolina... How does a guy without any real feel for the game as it stands in 2022 have the prime AM spot essentially to himself?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah I think there's a very good chance Garoppolo's deal has conditions based on playing time or whatever next year just like Wentz's was.

I think that's the best way for the Niners to maximize the return they'll get. I'm also curious if they want to make a quick deal or wait and let the Rodgers and Wilson situations play out (and Kirk's situation too). Not sure what the best way to approach that is if it's something they're even considering. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Gah.  That's the sort of thing that has lead me to not listen near as much as I used to.  If I had to guess, I'd say you had it on Bart and Hahn.  

There was a time that I used to have Mike and Mike playing while I was in the shower and getting ready in the morning.  I'd listen to Colin Cowherd while driving around.  I'd have afternoon streaming Scott Van Pelt in the afternoon.  Its not like any of them were masterpieces, but they knew they had a national audience at least.

I didn't enjoy LeBatard and didn't listen often, but at least he knew he wasn't just doing a Miami audience.

This most recent line up is awful.  How Keyshawn Johnson has a radio gig is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  Every time I tried to listen this season it felt like he was trying to tell me how Cam Newton was going to have this great bounce back year.  First for the Pats... then he was going to show out in Carolina... How does a guy without any real feel for the game as it stands in 2022 have the prime AM spot essentially to himself?

Yeah, it was Bart and Hahn and it's terrible. I didn't listen when Cowherd and SVP were mainstays, but I would have been open to it, and I loved when LeBatard and Bomani Jones had six hours of time combined. That was so much better than what they're running out today which kind of shows that anyone can do that job if they're semi-educated and/or have a big personality. I still have ESPN on in the car sometimes during short trips, but the only time I actually tune is to start Greeny's show when either the Jets or Knicks covered themselves in shame the night before. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm also curious if they want to make a quick deal or wait and let the Rodgers and Wilson situations play out (and Kirk's situation too). Not sure what the best way to approach that is if it's something they're even considering. 

Yeah I dunno.  One technicality on dates is Jimmy's no-trade clause doesn't expire until March 16 - but obviously the teams could just agree in principle beforehand.  My instinct would be to wait until the draft to see if someone gets desperate with a crazy offer, but based on how early the Stafford, Wentz and even Darnold trades were last year maybe that doesn't matter much.

Seeing reports that Niners OC Mike McDaniel is the frontrunner for the Dolphins job.  Gah.  Shanahan is just bleeding assistants lately. 

Also, the writeup on Niners Nation claims the Niners will get two 3rd rounders (like they did with Saleh and would with Ryans) because McDaniel is a minority.  Uh, really?  I mean, obviously good chance McDaniel is of Irish descent yeah, but are we counting Irish as minorities still?  Don't get me wrong, I'll take the picks!  Just confused.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

I mean he made the Super Bowl and an additional conference finals game.  That's a hell of a lot more than most QBs can say about the past four years.  Yeah, he never won it all and he's never going to be Mahomes or Allen, but he's been a winning QB when healthy.

When the game was still looking like a Niners win, I thought to myself, "Damn, Handsome Jimmy will have twice as many NFC championships as Aaron Rodgers."

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

Looks like the Vikings are flying Harbaugh out for a second interview on Wednesday.  @Tywin et al., get your Dockers ready!

Also Ryans has apparently took his name out of the running and will stay with the Niners.  That's super cool.  

Photos from a certain steakhouse I grew up eating at will tell you if he's getting hired or not. There's a great story about one incident in which my grandfather managed to so aggressively open a bottle of ketchup that he sprayed it on everyone at our table and the next one over.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Photos from a certain steakhouse I grew up eating at will tell you if he's getting hired or not. There's a great story about one incident in which my grandfather managed to so aggressively open a bottle of ketchup that he sprayed it on everyone at our table and the next one over.

Sometimes that lid is just on there really tight :dunno: 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Manny's?

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yep, though I think Manny's and Murray's are pretty interchangeable. Personally I'd just save some money and go to Fogo. 

I used to work in City Center and their 1/2 price lunch was amazing, though your afternoon was shot with 2 hours of meat sweats.

One thing that I wonder about is how much appetite there is for genuinely league-wide coverage.  Like if an NFL focused sports show spent one entire day of each offseason talking about each team, their draft, free agency changes, what went right/wrong this year, would people want to listen to that? 

Me personally, I would be perfectly happy to hear a discussion of the Bears or Chargers or Jaguars that typically get less press, but I suspect I might be unusual in that regard.  The three teams that always get covered extensively around me are Washington (obviously), Dallas and the Giants.  Beyond that, there isn't much, not even the Eagles or Steelers.

19 hours ago, DMC said:

Seeing reports that Niners OC Mike McDaniel is the frontrunner for the Dolphins job.  Gah.  Shanahan is just bleeding assistants lately. 

Also, the writeup on Niners Nation claims the Niners will get two 3rd rounders (like they did with Saleh and would with Ryans) because McDaniel is a minority.  Uh, really?  I mean, obviously good chance McDaniel is of Irish descent yeah, but are we counting Irish as minorities still?  Don't get me wrong, I'll take the picks!  Just confused.

I just read that article over there.  I haven't been through all the comments, but I did see someone ask about it.  They quipped if "Featherweight" is a minority now.  Because honestly... if you haven't seen the guy, he would appear to be a skinny white male, brown hair, with a sparse beard and glasses.  He looks more like someone I would have played WoW with a decade and a half ago rather than Madden.  When they cut to him in the booth, I always thought it was funny that he was an NFL assistant.

In response to the Featherweight comment, someone said he was black.  I didn't know how to politely ask for clarification, so I gave that disclaimer and then just said "Seriously?  Are you kidding or is he really black?"

41 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

One thing that I wonder about is how much appetite there is for genuinely league-wide coverage.  Like if an NFL focused sports show spent one entire day of each offseason talking about each team, their draft, free agency changes, what went right/wrong this year, would people want to listen to that? 

Me personally, I would be perfectly happy to hear a discussion of the Bears or Chargers or Jaguars that typically get less press, but I suspect I might be unusual in that regard.  The three teams that always get covered extensively around me are Washington (obviously), Dallas and the Giants.  Beyond that, there isn't much, not even the Eagles or Steelers.

I have wondered about this as well.  Obviously, the national shows can't get into the minutiae of every team... but like Tywin says, they are out here talking about the back up QB at the Giants.  They shoved Browns talk down our throats.  Ultimately, what they are looking for is the Soap Opera; but it feels like the only teams that they deem worthy of discussing are all in the New England area or the Cowpersons.

I think the Browns were well worth discussing this past offseason and the beginning of this season.  Nice change of pace for them to be relevant.  Alas, it might not last long, as they could be back on the qb carousel very soon. 

20 hours ago, DMC said:

Ah ha!  In the comments was a link to this article just after he was promoted to OC.  His grandmother was black.

Reminds me of when I found out that a fraternity brother of mine was getting a full ride scholarship for law school as a minority... I had no idea.  Then one of my friends said "Dude... his name is Dion.  How did you not know?!!?"  :lol:  I was always pretty clueless about stuff like that.  I was equally surprised to find out my friend Minsky was Jewish.  :dunno: 

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Ah ha!  In the comments was a link to this article just after he was promoted to OC.  His grandmother was black.

Ah, thanks for figuring it out.  Well, that's cool they'll get picks.  If he goes this year and Ryans next, that's a lot of third round picks!

Still, gotta wonder if the NFL specifies what constitutes "minority" in the CBA or whatever.  Otherwise feels like people will just be taking those DNA genealogy tests to try to find one ancestor like in that South Park episode.

Archived