NFL 2022 Playoffs: What Is Dead May Never Die

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Plenty of time to think about it, but I felt like Cincy matched up better with sf than with lar.  Ramsey vs Chase will be a fun battle, but Donald, Miller and co are going to be very excited to be matching up with the Bengals o line.

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Plenty of time to think about it, but I felt like Cincy matched up better with sf than with lar.  Ramsey vs Chase will be a fun battle, but Donald, Miller and co are going to be very excited to be matching up with the Bengals o line.

The Titans probably thought sacking Burrow 9x would be enough to win, too…

But yeah, I would have preferred SF. We just beat KC at Arrowhead though, so I’m not really afraid of anyone at this point. 

Zac Taylor vs his old boss will be an interesting storyline. 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, Maithanet said:

The best qbs in the AFC is a long list:  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson.  That's 1/3 of the conference.  Compare that to the NFC where it's...Rodgers (maybe), Wilson, Brady (if he doesn't retire), Prescott (I guess?), then for the fifth spot....Ryan?  Murray?  Cousins?  It's not a pretty picture. 

I think the NFC QB going to the SB is worthy of moving up this list ahead of a few of these.

I don't think the Rams would trade Stafford for Ryan, Cousins, possibly not Wilson (who looks to have lost a step) currently.

Stafford always had the skills, this is the first time he's had an actual NFL roster to work with.

So, @Rhom, should be an interesting offseason.  After trading Garoppolo they should have about $37 million in cap space.  They do have quite a few key free agents - Laken Tomlinson, D.J. Jones, K'waun Williams, Jaquiski Tartt and Arden Key.  Al-Shaair is also a restricted free agent.  Then they have Bosa and Deebo extensions to consider - both are in their last year.

I think they might be able to retain everybody but that'd probably max out the cap space.  Still, their only need would be cornerback, and between Thomas' late season rise and addressing it in the draft, that should be better than it was for a lot of this season.  Plus, hey, maybe re-sign Verrett and see if he can actually stay healthy.  Can't imagine he'll cost much.  Other than that..I guess they'll need a backup quarterback.  Anyway they're well positioned to go all in next year.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

So, @Rhom, should be an interesting offseason.  After trading Garoppolo they should have about $37 million in cap space.  They do have quite a few key free agents - Laken Tomlinson, D.J. Jones, K'waun Williams, Jaquiski Tartt and Arden Key.  Al-Shaair is also a restricted free agent.  Then they have Bosa and Deebo extensions to consider - both are in their last year.

I think they might be able to retain everybody but that'd probably max out the cap space.  Still, their only need would be cornerback, and between Thomas' late season rise and addressing it in the draft, that should be better than it was for a lot of this season.  Plus, hey, maybe re-sign Verrett and see if he can actually stay healthy.  Can't imagine he'll cost much.  Other than that..I guess they'll need a backup quarterback.  Anyway they're well positioned to go all in next year.

Don’t forget Raheem Mostert! :lol:

Yeah.  They absolutely can.  And while I’m not sold on Lance, I have to agree with my brothers text he sent me “Lance can throw that interception just as well as Jimmy can.”  :( 

I’m finally with him.  It’s time.  Despite the winning percentage stat, just can’t keep him there getting hurt and overthrowing dudes.  Can’t keep him on the roster since so many of the guys love him.  They know he’s flawed; but he’s just so damn likeable.  Try to get a third rounder for him and let’s go.

Heck… GB might be willing to trade us Jordan Love for him.  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Don’t forget Raheem Mostert! :lol:

Definitely haven't!  Just neglected to mention him.  Like Verrett, could see him coming back for not much money.

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely time to move on from Garoppolo.  I think they woulda traded him even if they won the Super Bowl.  Still, the end of the season worked out pretty well.  By all accounts he upped his trade value during his hot streak at the end of the (regular) season. 

Plus, appears to be a lot of teams out there looking for a QB and as far as I can tell not much there at the top of the draft (albeit I haven't been paying much attention to that).  Good environment for hoping some team might get desperate.  Hell, reportedly the Pats offered a 2nd for him last year, and he certainly had a better season this year than 2020.  Brady (presumably) retiring helps too.  Here's rooting for Rodgers to join him!

I was at the game and then spent the last few hours with the families of bengals players in the hotel. I made Logan Wilson’s grandma cry and was adopted by DJ Readers mom. I’m emotionally drained and out of this world happy. Let’s fucking go!

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I was at the game and then spent the last few hours with the families of bengals players in the hotel. I made Logan Wilson’s grandma cry and was adopted by DJ Readers mom. I’m emotionally drained and out of this world happy. Let’s fucking go!

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Working your way up the ladder to:

22 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So niners fans question,

who do you guys think will be your QB next year?

Unless he gets injured or suspended (or worse I guess), Trey Lance will be the Niners QB next year.

What's the fewest combined wins superbowl teams have had before? 

I could only be arsed looking back over 10 years, and this seems to be a bit of an outlier (65% regular season win rate).

Every other year seems to be 75-85%, except 2012 which was also low (67%). 

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Reloading w/ a #3 overall pick nice. 

Meh.  Not a typical #3 pick.

The kid has literally played 16 games at QB in his entire life.  2 in the NFL.  14 at the FCS level.  0 in high school.

I'm not sure what they saw in him that made them trade the future away for the right to move up and take him, but ready from Day One he is not.  But like I said upthread, I don't know that Lance would have had the team in any worse spot than Jimmy did last night.  So it is time to rip the band aid off and see if Shanny the Younger can develop a raw QB or not.

Am curious where Jimmy winds up though.  Despite Tywin's protests, he is a legitimate good starting QB and there are several teams that would be better with him at QB.  

If Rodgers doesn't go to Denver... you think he wouldn't be an upgrade there?
If Wilson really does leave Seattle... I'd hate to see it and don't think it would happen, but who out there is better for them?
Detroit?  I don't know Goff's contract, but Jimmy would be better.
Chicago?  Its his hometown and I'm sure he wouldn't want to sign on as a back up initially, but I'm still thinking Fields has a high bust potential.  He'd be great insurance.
Green Bay?  I'd take him over Jordan Love in a heartbeat if A-A-ron leaves/retires.
Houston?  Do they really think Davis Mills has a future?
New Orleans?  Lot of things in flux there.  They need a QB.
Carolina?  Darnold and Newton?
Tampa Bay?  I don't think I even know who their back up was.
Football Team?  
Steelers?

So that's almost a dozen teams where I think Jimmy would be a better answer than what they currently have.  There are plenty of other teams where he would be equal or an upgrade as well, but the team is committed to what they have.

Archived