UK Politics- P0rn, Horn and Local Elections

polishgenius

Aye. And up until ten years ago, literally nobody in the British public gave a flying fuck about our membership of the European Union.

And as we saw, it doesn't take much to brainwash a moron.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Aye. And up until ten years ago, literally nobody in the British public gave a flying fuck about our membership of the European Union.

That’s completely untrue.

The UK has always had very divided options on the EU and might have voted to leave any time in the last few decades if asked.

Extension of the EU and massive increases in Eastern European migration certainly helped fuel anti EU sentiment however 

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

That’s not so.  The issue tore Labour apart in the Seventies and eighties, and tore the Conservatives apart subsequently.  

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

That’s not so.  The issue tore Labour apart in the Seventies and eighties, and tore the Conservatives apart subsequently.  

Yeah, you'll note I said nobody in the British public. This was a crisis manufactured by the political class and the right wing press. Banning bendy bananas? That was another Boris Johnson lie.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Without going back over old ground.. the reason the trans debate has become a thing again is because of Self ID and the changes one side want to make the definitions of sex and gender. These are relatively new changes and it’s not surprising there is pushback on them, nor that trans issues were never really such a big issue before.

Trans women and girls had been allowed to compete years for decades for much of the developed world for decades now—even in the U.K.

The rules and laws by and large  didn’t change—your side started a moral panic about a niche that doesn’t actually negatively impact broader society.

Like with most issues involving trans people it’s just recent culture war nonsense propagated by your side to show unnecessary division in society..

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, you'll note I said nobody in the British public. This was a crisis manufactured by the political class and the right wing press. Banning bendy bananas? That was another Boris Johnson lie.

The average voter is not much involved in politics.  The EU mattered a lot to people who were involved in politics.

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Have people forgotten that, today, abortion services in Northern Ireland are virtually non existent?

And, believe me, Scotland has its fair share of religious heid the baws.

Calls for buffer zones around abortion clinics in Scotland after protests

It's a fair point. Note that the group above is a direct attempt to import an American movement into the UK. There's an alliance also between these people and radical Unionists/former Unionists in NI. They're very fringe types but there should be no complacency. 

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The rules and laws by and large  didn’t change—your side started a moral panic about a niche that doesn’t actually negatively impact broader society.

The push to change laws for Self ID has been a relatively recent event and are the main bone of contention when it comes to the trans debate, certainly in the UK. 

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Polls show the UK has been generally split on the Europe question for decades. Its a lie that the whole issue is manufactured, people saw the effects of EU membership with their own eyes. 

44 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Have people forgotten that, today, abortion services in Northern Ireland are virtually non existent?

And, believe me, Scotland has its fair share of religious heid the baws.

Calls for buffer zones around abortion clinics in Scotland after protests

Every lent, catholic anti-choice protesters line up outside the road entrance to the grounds of the QEU Hospital.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

The push to change laws for Self ID has been a relatively recent event and are the main bone of contention when it comes to the trans debate, certainly in the UK. 

But your side’s hysteria didn’t stop with any new changes—but attacks on any trans positive rule or law that has been the status quo for years with no real controversy until the anti-woke decided to make them such.

Ex.Trans women in women’s sports: a niche issue catatropized.

53 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The anti abortion movement has a history going back decades in the US, and has roots in the religious right. That simply doesn't exist here, never did. There simply isn't any public sentiment for it and I don't see why that would ever change. The same thing with gay rights. There are just a number of ways in which the UK is very different to the US, some people don't tend to understand that looking at things through a US led lens. 

There is a particular tactic to deflect the arguments on certain issues by comparing them to other struggles, which is a way of simply demonising one side or shutting down discussion. It isn't helpful but you can see why people do it. 

I should say this: it’s okay to make comparisons when the similarities between things are significant.

Did you know that the religious right has paid for the lawsuits filed in the Uk?

Do you think they have no higher aspirations outside being dicks to trans people?

:rolleyes:

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But your side’s hysteria didn’t stop with any new changes—but attacks on any trans positive rule or law that has been the status quo for years with no real controversy until the anti-woke decided to make them such.

Ex.Trans women in women’s sports: a niche issue catatropized.

So push for gender Self ID and the changes to the rules are relatively new. In England the proposals for self ID were being brought in by Theresa May, and are still going through in Scotland. This is all new, we had the gender recognition act in 2004 which these new rules were looking to challenge.

It is simply not true that there have been no changes.

This is what we need over here. Labour need to swallow their pride and openly and officially shoot for a progressive alliance.

Seeing as the wankers seized power with just 38% of the vote, such a move would utterly transform our country and virtually guarantee a progressive nation for our kids to grow up in.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So push for gender Self ID and the changes to the rules are relatively new

Jesus Christ, it’s like I’m talking to an NPC(oh another comparison what a nightmare).

Your side has been hyperventilating over things that have been the norm years before the proposed changes they already succeeded in blocking  were raised years ago.

You guys can’t help but cause moral panics; it’s so fun.

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Jesus Christ, it’s like I’m talking to an NPC(oh another comparison what a nightmare).

Your side has been hyperventilating over things that have been the norm years before the proposed changes they already succeeded in blocking  were raised years ago.

You guys can’t help but cause moral panics; it’s so fun.

I'm just going to have to leave a confused emoji for you here since you don't seem to want to actually respond to what I said, but just throw around hyperbole. At least this time you didn't invoke Godwins law. 

Archived