Cricket 44: Abrar-Cadabra

Denvek

Well, a 100-run opening partnership was definitely unexpected. Australia effectively now only need to chase down a target of 280 which doesn't sound nearly as imposing. However, fourth innings run chases are hard for a reason, the ball is turning, and I expect it will still prove difficult to get there in the end, so I'd rate the match evenly poised.

Mark Wood not used until the 33rd over which is unusual and no doubt one of the reasons for Australia's success so far. He didn't bowl at all in the first session so I suspect he must be carrying some niggle.

England will be the happier side for the rain delay, who would've thought that at the top of the day. Still a long way to go for Australia with 249 runs needed, a lot can happen in that time.

But when Joe Root (9 overs) has bowled more than Moeen and Wood combined (8) that's a sign that England will have to work hard for the victory. The rain delay will help them get some rest as they'll be primarily relying on Broad, Anderson and Woakes to pull them through.

If there's too much rain, though, then that helps Australia get closer to safety (draw) which might help them in going for the win.

Yes, that ball looks far newer than the ball that was traded in. The conditions were overcast for a lot of yesterday and there was not nearly the same amount of swing and movement through the air than there is today. Can't blame England for it, though - the umpire made the decision about which ball to use.

Wood still clearly struggling with something, but Australia's three wickets lost has really hurt them. England well on top now and with the ball talking.

45 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That weather induced draw robbed a potential final day for the ages. 

Yes, this would have been some final day if we were 2-2.

Stokes goes full-on Herschelle Gibbs and drops the ball after he's cleanly taken the ball. I'm surprised he reviewed it, knowing that he hadn't completed the catch, but I suppose it's in the spirit of cricket...

Edited by Jeor

England may be 'carrying' too many injured players. Moeen and now potentially Wood? Add to that Broad and Anderson being no spring chickens, I imagine the 5th day of a Test would be hard on them. And I could be wrong, but I thought Stokes was also recovering from something?

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

25 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

England may be 'carrying' too many injured players. Mooen and now potentially Wood? Add to that Broad and Anderson being no spring chickens, I imagine the 5th day of a Test would be hard on them. And I could be wrong, but I thought Stokes was also recovering from something?

Yes, it looks like half the bowlers are carrying something. Stokes isn't bowling because of his knee, Moeen is moving very gingerly and unable to bowl long spells, and Wood is clearly not up to scratch - apparently due to a bruised heel. Woakes is the only non-injured bowler under the age of 37.

Australia's go-slow operation in the first innings put some overs into their legs and I imagine it hasn't been easy for the bowlers to back up. That being said, it's a long series and it's not just Australian tactics that has done this. I'm still surprised England didn't make more use of Tongue in the series.

I think it emphasises that to really employ Bazball you definitely need at least five frontline bowlers (plus a good part-timer like Root).

It is impressive that Chris Woakes got player of the series despite not playing in the first two matches. He did make a big difference to the bowling attack, as did Wood but Woakes was more consistent. In retrospect perhaps England should have picked him earlier, although their first Test bowling attack seemed reasonable at the time.

Broad couldn't have scripted his finale any better, first the six for his final ball with the bat and then a wicket to win the match to end his test career. He might be wishing he'd learned earlier in his career that he can apparently dismiss batsmen at will just by swapping the bails around.

It's good that Moeen also made a big contribution on the final day of his Test career, particularly after it looked like he might not be able to bowl again in the match.

Wow, a fairytale ending for Broad.

Australia had a good shot at winning it. If Khawaja/Warner had another hour of play before rain stopped play, or if Head/Smith had another hour instead of having to go to lunch, it would have been different, and they'll probably talk about the ball change as well. But overall England bowled better on that last day and were definitely more threatening.

But natural justice was served, as 2-2 is a fairer reflection of the series than 3-1 would have been. It was a great series and apart from Old Trafford, every match was very close and had genuine chances for both sides to win. It was nice also to see a genuine contest between bat and ball throughout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Raja said:

Finding it....not that easy to get excited about the World cup

I think the only thing I want is someone like South Africa, West Indies, Pakistan or New Zealand to win the WC

The West Indies failed to qualify. It is strange to have a World Cup without them.