The pandemic

Hugorfonics

Gods damn covid. But the world is starting to get back to normalcy, and it has now for a while. W.H.O has said it ended! Without getting too personal, I know it hit us all hard and differently, we can look at it through the rearview mirror. When asoiaf was written it was based off of history and stories but now it's all personal and looking at pandemics feels different.

Dany saying she's immune for instance, because she doesn't get sick like that and neither did her brother, feels like a real type of person. But still, her going out and nursing them personally, along with her unsullied, is still pretty brave even if maybe foolish. But very warming.

Tyrions state of mind also, that he has to get the hell out of here now, definitely feels real and scary. He's also got the other pandemic too, the one where he stabs his fingers and toes to make sure he feels pain which kinda strikes me as double checking his sense of smell and taste. Unfortunately though, now the stigma that Shireen gets I can kinda rationalize. Similarly Griffs silence infuriates me more then it used to. 

Like the great sickness and stuff, thank the old and the new for modern medicine, but even the world of Dunk and Egg now strike me as completely different 

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

Jon Connington will start a new greyscale pandemic.

The fandom seems to believe that will indeed happen, though I'm a bit more skeptical. There's about 20 other plotlines to deal with, including a time traveling Bran. I'm not sure if there's room for a pandemic, at this stage in the story.

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

The fandom seems to believe that will indeed happen, though I'm a bit more skeptical

To be honest I am not convinced either, if he does something bad I think it will be burning down Kings Landing after the ringing of the bells triggers a psychotic episode or something.

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

time traveling Bran

I really hope that miraculously doesn't happen...

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

I'm not sure if there's room for a pandemic, at this stage in the story.

Besides there is already the dysentery outbreak in Meereen.

4 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Jon Connington will start a new greyscale pandemic.

I'm sure. 

You think this will be good for the ostracization of Shireen? That they'll see that unlike others she's not contagious 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

The fandom seems to believe that will indeed happen, though I'm a bit more skeptical. There's about 20 other plotlines to deal with, including a time traveling Bran. I'm not sure if there's room for a pandemic, at this stage in the story.

Many more then 20. 

But the Greyscale has been set up so well that we're honestly expecting it. Plus, in this post 19 world the concept of a pandemic is relatable and frightening, no reason to scrap it now.

Jorah does wear long sleeves so at least he's masked up but hes certainly not social distancing which I'm sure will make him a spreader 

3 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

To be honest I am not convinced either, if he does something bad I think it will be burning down Kings Landing after the ringing of the bells triggers a psychotic episode or something.

A man can do more then one bad thing

I really hope that miraculously doesn't happen...

I'm pretty sure it's already happened.

Why do you really hope it doesn't? What would be the negative issue?

Besides there is already the dysentery outbreak in Meereen

Yea the bloody flux! Which sounds way worse then corona but at the early stages is roughly about as life threatening.

Greyscale tho I don't think kills like that.

2 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

Maybe

He didnt take the hard choice during roberts rebellion and regrets it  

Now maybe hel take it and throw himself from the griffins nest or into a fire to save young griff

I'm curious on how he'll react when he becomes convinced Young Griff is not in fact the Young Griff but just some random with dark eyes and light hair. Throw him in the fire?

Edited by Hugorfonics

16 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Gods damn covid. But the world is starting to get back to normalcy, and it has now for a while. W.H.O has said it ended! Without getting too personal, I know it hit us all hard and differently, we can look at it through the rearview mirror. When asoiaf was written it was based off of history and stories but now it's all personal and looking at pandemics feels different.

Dany saying she's immune for instance, because she doesn't get sick like that and neither did her brother, feels like a real type of person. But still, her going out and nursing them personally, along with her unsullied, is still pretty brave even if maybe foolish. But very warming.

Tyrions state of mind also, that he has to get the hell out of here now, definitely feels real and scary. He's also got the other pandemic too, the one where he stabs his fingers and toes to make sure he feels pain which kinda strikes me as double checking his sense of smell and taste. Unfortunately though, now the stigma that Shireen gets I can kinda rationalize. Similarly Griffs silence infuriates me more then it used to. 

Like the great sickness and stuff, thank the old and the new for modern medicine, but even the world of Dunk and Egg now strike me as completely different 

Strange it being behind us as Covid was the mainstay of our hours not so long ago.  I have wondered, too, what Martin would write as a result of this thing happening.  He sure seemed to take everything seriously.  Somehow, I don't think a grey scale pandemic will be skirted in TWOW.  I think it will reflect our own fears and ideas in the telling.  I don't imagine it will get any easier for Shireen and this is where that burning will likely come in.  Disposable humans as a means of fighting a plague.  Just kill them all? 

There is a story in the histories that tells of an Hightower lord (I think) who locked down Old Town during some Spring Sickness or awful illness that was making the rounds.  No one entered and no one left until it was safe.  Could we get a glimpse of Cersei or even Aegon pull a lock down like this?  What characters might we expect to contract the disease?  I see this getting really really bad, maybe not across Westeros, but at least in the South.  Poor Shireen may well be immune now and completely safe, but that won't save her because people will be frightened.   Some of the Wildlings are already frightened of her.  What if she isn't immune or safe? 

Then there is patient zero himself.  How long can he keep this condition hidden?  How long can he expect to think clearly?  Will he be burned once his secret is discovered?  Gotta wonder how many of the Golden Company are carriers.  Shireen got grey scale from a doll.  Is this thing airborne?  Will it mutate in Westeros? 

I am expecting lock downs and hysteria.  Thinking there may be more people simply executed for being near places than actually contract the grey scale.  Can't help wondering what Euron will do with this, considering his weirdness.  Gosh this sure got depressing.   

42 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

There is a story in the histories that tells of an Hightower lord (I think) who locked down Old Town during some Spring Sickness or awful illness that was making the rounds.  No one entered and no one left until it was safe.  Could we get a glimpse of Cersei or even Aegon pull a lock down like this?  What characters might we expect to contract the disease?  I see this getting really really bad, maybe not across Westeros, but at least in the South.  Poor Shireen may well be immune now and completely safe, but that won't save her because people will be frightened.   Some of the Wildlings are already frightened of her.  What if she isn't immune or safe? 

Then there is patient zero himself.  How long can he keep this condition hidden?  How long can he expect to think clearly?  Will he be burned once his secret is discovered?  Gotta wonder how many of the Golden Company are carriers.  Shireen got grey scale from a doll.  Is this thing airborne?  Will it mutate in Westeros? 

I am expecting lock downs and hysteria.  Thinking there may be more people simply executed for being near places than actually contract the grey scale.  Can't help wondering what Euron will do with this, considering his weirdness.  Gosh this sure got depressing.   

The plague of greyscale vs the plague of hysteria :bawl: 

1 minute ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

The plague of greyscale vs the plague of hysteria :bawl: 

I watch notablog fairly regularly.  My version of society papers I guess.  Martin was frightened and that was clear in his posts about being in a remote cabin for a year.  I am looking forward to reading the whole grey scale misery as he is so well spoken and his portrayal of this thing should mirror his own feelings and stances on things.  What happens here should be really telling about the author himself.  What an interesting and unique opportunity a previously planned epidemic has being told during a real one.  In dark Westeros.  Hell yah.  

16 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I watch notablog fairly regularly.  My version of society papers I guess.  Martin was frightened and that was clear in his posts about being in a remote cabin for a year.  I am looking forward to reading the whole grey scale misery as he is so well spoken and his portrayal of this thing should mirror his own feelings and stances on things.  What happens here should be really telling about the author himself.  What an interesting and unique opportunity a previously planned epidemic has being told during a real one.  In dark Westeros.  Hell yah.  

Oh geez.. I honestly didn't think his story could get any darker, but here he is sprinkling it..no..dumping it with more depression. 

Writing WoW like

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Strange it being behind us as Covid was the mainstay of our hours not so long ago.  I have wondered, too, what Martin would write as a result of this thing happening.  He sure seemed to take everything seriously.  Somehow, I don't think a grey scale pandemic will be skirted in TWOW.  I think it will reflect our own fears and ideas in the telling.

Yea for sure, the line between social distancing and ostracization was a huge talking point during the lockdown days. 

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

I don't imagine it will get any easier for Shireen and this is where that burning will likely come in.  Disposable humans as a means of fighting a plague.  Just kill them all? 

It's possible sure, but the clues for Shireens burning have been there since Edric.

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

There is a story in the histories that tells of an Hightower lord (I think) who locked down Old Town during some Spring Sickness or awful illness that was making the rounds.  No one entered and no one left until it was safe.  Could we get a glimpse of Cersei or even Aegon pull a lock down like this?

Yea the line between social distancing and tyranny was an even bigger talking point! 

What characters might we expect to contract the disease? 

From a literary perspective, Sansa. Because of the name Stone. Which is pretty depressing, and I have no idea how she'd get sick to begin with.

Tyrion I think is good, he's still got his sense of smell, but could he still be contagious?

I see this getting really really bad, maybe not across Westeros, but at least in the South.  Poor Shireen may well be immune now and completely safe, but that won't save her because people will be frightened.   Some of the Wildlings are already frightened of her.  What if she isn't immune or safe? 

You know reading about the people keeping their distance or even cold ass Val was like I got it but I thought it was grime. But now? She basically tested positive and wont stop coughing. Fucking get this kid away from me! It's so much more understandable now. 

Obviously still poor girl, not her fault and she probably is immune and safe but, like not that safe

Shireen got it from a doll?

Yea JonC is, wow. Like he's not totally delusional, he knows he's dancing with the the Spider, knew that Rhaegar cared for him, knows this kid is the future and frankly knows he's sick. But, that's not all really accurate, he's in the spiders webs he wasn't dating Rhaegar and the kid is sus and he's dying and may take the world with him! 

Who the hell knows how it spreads I'm guessing it's not airborne. Idk, what's good with the stonemen, they used to live their like in a village or you think they were quarantined there? 

But also, there's two pandemics going around, and yeah I think the flux could totally turn airborne.

Meereen is on lockdown now, not like lockdown lockdown, but the gates are closed and the sick are right outside the city. Although now it seems like the slavers are catapulting the pandemic inside the citywalls. Not to mention Barri is about to ride out and collapse the whole house of cards into just a whole smorgasbord of corona. 

Just in time will be Vic and his army will be sailing into the harbor longing to stretch their legs and inhale the pandemic, which them and probably also mysha and her children/ khallissi and her dothraki will be bringing back with them to Westeros.

So yea definitely, mad ways for this to get incorporated! I'm guessing the stigmatization gets through with the Greyscale and like the paranoia goes through the flux. 

But like, I don't think he can go too hard, what is Tyrion going to start wearing a mask or something? Then again, yea I don't see how it's possible to write about this stuff and not spill some of his own personal experience into this. 

2 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

From a literary perspective, Sansa. Because of the name Stone. Which is pretty depressing, and I have no idea how she'd get sick to begin with.

If you ever suggest this idea again I'll throw you in hell myself. (But don't forget Mya Stone.) Honestly though, the Eyrie would be the perfect place to wait out a pandemic. Too bad they moved to the Vale for the winter.

41 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

If you ever suggest this idea again I'll throw you in hell myself.

Lol, as long as I'm with Sansa 

41 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

(But don't forget Mya Stone.)

Oh there ya go. Cool. She talks too much anyway, thisll shut her up.

42 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Honestly though, the Eyrie would be the perfect place to wait out a pandemic. Too bad they moved to the Vale for the winter.

Yea but, the rest of the story can't be fucking lockdown lol, thatd be terrible. Maybe winter will be good for them though, the pandemic was always stronger in the summer time

3 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Shireen got it from a doll?

Yea JonC is, wow. Like he's not totally delusional, he knows he's dancing with the the Spider, knew that Rhaegar cared for him, knows this kid is the future and frankly knows he's sick. But, that's not all really accurate, he's in the spiders webs he wasn't dating Rhaegar and the kid is sus and he's dying and may take the world with him! 

But also, there's two pandemics going around, and yeah I think the flux could totally turn airborne.

Meereen is on lockdown now, not like lockdown lockdown, but the gates are closed and the sick are right outside the city. Although now it seems like the slavers are catapulting the pandemic inside the citywalls. Not to mention Barri is about to ride out and collapse the whole house of cards into just a whole smorgasbord of corona. 

Just in time will be Vic and his army will be sailing into the harbor longing to stretch their legs and inhale the pandemic, which them and probably also mysha and her children/ khallissi and her dothraki will be bringing back with them to Westeros.

You have a gift for downplaying the horror, but it was horrifying even if WHO says it's gone.  I didn't know the rules to the prediction game.  I give you a genuine Vale bastard with kingsblood, Mya Stone.  Put Sansa back this moment.  

Well, as it happened I remembered this and it did happen in another telling.  When I checked I saw I was having a false memory implanted by Bloodraven or the maesters.  Someone.  All we know is she wasn't born with it, but contracted it as an infant.   Sorry.  

I don't want to read Jon Connington dying of this awful disease.  It is too gross?  People turning to stone at the apex of their redemption/vengeance arc?  What if all these horrible diseases recombine into something?  Then the weird regional magic.  Did you just figure out the Others origin story?  

The Merenese illnesses seem to run their ravage in a very short time with a high mortality rate.  Put that on Vic's smoking arm and see what happens.  This scenario makes me wonder how many of these poor bastards are actually going to make it to Westeros.  Then she comes with rats and a 1 in 10 survivor rate among her forces?  Dark.  

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

You have a gift for downplaying the horror

Gotta smile 

but it was horrifying even if WHO says it's gone

Oh yeah! So surreal. Lines to the supermarket and shit. Truly a different world.

In the Sworn Sword it's all about the post pandemic world, and I think (obviously with this post pandemic mind, which doesn't translate to pre Sworn Sword writing) some of that fear about what the present and the rule of Bloodraven is just living in the post pandemic world. (Although Bloodraven was sus as hell and tbh our political reality isn't exactly reassuring)

I give you a genuine Vale bastard with kingsblood, Mya Stone.  Put Sansa back this moment.  

Lol yea I already got the memo. Mya down, Sansa vaccinated.

You know that's my girl, and I'm pretty sure she's gonna wind up head honcho around there, but like Briennes dancing master told her, it's not a game for the beautiful. Scars and sickness leave a mark but it's not a mark of defeat. Tbh I'd be a little disappointed if Sansa doesn't leave with a little more then blood on her sleeve. 

Well, as it happened I remembered this and it did happen in another telling.  When I checked I saw I was having a false memory implanted by Bloodraven or the maesters.  Someone.  All we know is she wasn't born with it, but contracted it as an infant.   Sorry.  

It's cool, it happens. 

I don't want to read Jon Connington dying of this awful disease.  It is too gross?  People turning to stone at the apex of their redemption/vengeance arc?  What if all these horrible diseases recombine into something?  Then the weird regional magic.  Did you just figure out the Others origin story?  

Yea exactly! Brains brains, sounds like The Scarecrow. What's with those guys Tyrion clotheslined, are they dead or what? They turn into monsters but like, what's a monster? Coldhands? 

It's definitely magical, Flux you get, you shit, you die. It's scary quick and rudimentary, but like stoned zombies isn't rudimentary so yea, somethings up. But maybe they can be healed through magic? Like whatever the opposite of a rock is? Something jazzy?

The Merenese illnesses seem to run their ravage in a very short time with a high mortality rate.  Put that on Vic's smoking arm and see what happens.  This scenario makes me wonder how many of these poor bastards are actually going to make it to Westeros.  Then she comes with rats and a 1 in 10 survivor rate among her forces?  Dark.  

Yea there's no vaccine coming, I don't know how Essos is going to recover, we see it's like for us it's a few years thing gods know what the Bay can do. 

But, positive thoughts! 1 in 10 is bleak, let's go for 9, which is still pretty awful. Not to mention the spread into Westeros. Maybe it'll spread north, and then north some more, and give the Others some covid.

15 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

I'm curious on how he'll react when he becomes convinced Young Griff is not in fact the Young Griff but just some random with dark eyes and light hair. Throw him in the fire?

Naah hes helped raise the boy he adores him

Besides it doesnt matter if hes legit or not, varys has hammered thst lesson home. All that matters is if enough people believe hes the real deal!!!

Connington doesn't have to start a pandemic for his greyscale to be a plot point. He only needs to infect a small number of people, perhaps just one, to cause a major disruption in his plans. Or his own condition might be discovered at a critical moment, causing panic among the Golden Company and putting his mission in jeopardy.