UK Politics: Striking at the heart of the nation

polishgenius

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Not sure why you keep using offensive terms like ‘boat people’, it’s only you saying that. ( btw wasn’t it you who previously got caught out making offensive statements about Indians?)

Re boat people : showing my age. The term comes from the Vietnamese refugees rescued after escaping their communist country and is positively contacted. But when I hear someone talking about how immigrants have negative influence even in stupid things like average height, especially when there is a much more likely non-racist explanation presented, my hackles are raising and I try to expose that talk by cranking it up. Sorry again - this doesn't translate to the written form.

Re Indians: Taken out of context maybe. Sorry if I gave that impression. Since I employ several Indians in my team and have an Indian boss, I maybe I got lax since we are not so very restrained internally. Shouldn't happen though. (And I'm fully aware that my defense here is my best friends are xyz...)

43 minutes ago, kiko said:

Re boat people : showing my age. The term comes from the Vietnamese refugees rescued after escaping their communist country and is positively contacted. But when I hear someone talking about how immigrants have negative influence even in stupid things like average height, especially when there is a much more likely non-racist explanation presented, my hackles are raising and I try to expose that talk by cranking it up. Sorry again - this doesn't translate to the written form.

I take it English isn’t your first language and that you are in fact German? If so that might give you some wriggle room for misunderstanding. But at the same time you are putting words in peoples mouths and making extreme accusations of racism that aren’t there, which you should be a bit more cautious about doing. 

44 minutes ago, kiko said:

Re Indians: Taken out of context maybe. Sorry if I gave that impression. Since I employ several Indians in my team and have an Indian boss, I maybe I got lax since we are not so very restrained internally. Shouldn't happen though. (And I'm fully aware that my defense here is my best friends are xyz...)

Being lax or unrestrained is not an excuse for being racist! So what, it’s better to be secretly racist and not say it out loud?

I would suggest if you want to throw accusations around in public maybe look at yourself first, seeing as what you’ve said in the past is one of the most shockingly and openly racist things I’ve seen on this board and if your excuse is that you usually say these things at work then.. wow. 

'I'm racist about people from India directly to my team from India', which is what Kiko appears to be saying, is an absolutely wild defence against an accusation of racism.

But yeah also second language difficulties might account for missing that no-one was suggesting height coming down due to immigration would be a negative, but it doesn't explain how tf one can be invested enough in UK politics to be posting here but not enough to realise 'boat people' could only possibly be taken as a pejorative against the current channel-crossing refugees. Like you've got to engage some critical thinking!

Nevermind. Seems I'm not able to express myself properly today. Sorry for that. I still maintain that the post triggering me is bordering on racist. Now I stop digging though.

Speaking of racists, it was said by Coutts bank last week that they were closing Farage's accounts because he was below the limit necessary for one of their customers. However he has since gotten access to a dossier about their decision which makes it clear that it was due to his political positions and not financial ones.

I'm sure everyone hates Farage and quite a few people here will be rubbing their hands with glee at this sort of thing, but they shouldn't. Banks should not be turning customers away based on their political opinions, what if it's your political opinions they don't like next. 

Edited by Heartofice

If it's alright for Christian bakers* to refuse to bake a cake for a queer wedding because of their 'religious views', it's perfectly okay for businesses, including banks, to blacklist Farage because he is a hateful, bigoted traitor.

*Yeah, not here yet, but it's probably coming.

Edited by Spockydog

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If it's alright for Christian bakers* to refuse to bake a cake for a queer wedding because of their 'religious views', it's perfectly okay for businesses, including banks, to blacklist Farage because he is a hateful, bigoted traitor.

*Yeah, not here yet, but it's probably coming.

That's been tried here - and it wasn't okay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59882444

My dislike for Farage is pretty extreme, but I'm not okay with a bank to discriminate based on (legal) political views.
I will note than a member of staff feeling threatened by said political views becomes an entirely different matter (and more of a branch thing than a large business thing); and I will also note that I don't care enough to actually read the report on this instance.

Edited by Which Tyler

5 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

That's been tried here - and it wasn't okay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59882444

I do think the cake issue is different and even famous gay rights activist Peter Tatchell agrees. There is a difference between refusing to have someone as a customer based on their beliefs and refusing to produce material that directly contradicts your own beliefs.

If I worked for an environmentally friendly leafleting company for instance, I shouldn't be able to turn people away because they don't believe in climate change, but I also should not be forced to produce anti-climate change leaflets either just because someone has demanded I make them. 

In the Farage case Coutts have come out and said that this was purely about finances, but have been exposed into revealing that actually they just didn't like Farage's views. 

Lol. This is from the dossier that NigelFarage claims proves he was dumped for being Nigel Farage. Presumaby neither Andrew Neil, nor any of the other gamonnatti rushing to defend the cunt have actually read it. 

It says that once the mortgage is paid off, it would not be commercially viable to keep his account. He would no longer be eligible under their T&Cs. 

He paid his mortgage off early, rendering himself ineligible to hold an account, and Coutts decided that due to reputational risk it wasn't worth breaking their own rules to accommodate Nigel Farage, man of the people. 

Edited by Spockydog

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Lol. This is from the dossier that NigelFarage claims proves he was dumped for being Nigel Farage. Presumaby neither Andrew Neil, nor any of the other gamonnatti rushing to defend the cunt have actually read it. 

Lol to you. Maybe actually go and see what Neil has said about this exact thing.

From that tweet:

"I’ve now been through the NatWest/Coutts dossier on Nigel Farage twice now.
It is clear beyond doubt that, even though they could find no real “dirt” on him, they still wanted to “debank” him because they didn’t like his politics — and came up with the ruse of using an expiring mortgage to close his account this month (July). 
Farage curtailed this process by paying off the mortgage earlier than necessary, unaware of the consequences for his Coutts accounts. 
On Nov 17 2022 the bank put its plan in place: “Recommendation is to retain N[igel] F[arage] for now. However, it was noted that NF currently has a mortgage with Coutts, which is due to expire in July 2023 and which, on a commercial basis, we would not look to renew and so would suggest winding down the connection on that basis.”
The Bank then says it had put great store on his Russia connections but admits it could find “nothing substantive” to pin on him. 
So the bank then details the fallback plan it has hatched: “Six months before the expiry of NF’s mortgage with Coutts, they would indicate to NF that we are not renewing the mortgage [allowing the Bank to exit] NF next year on commercial grounds when the mortgage rolls off.”
The Banks then again admits the real reason: “[It] did not think continuing to bank NF was compatible with Coutts given his publicly-stated views that were at odds with our position as an inclusive organisation.” (Coutts is actually one of the least inclusive banks in the world, as Farage was founding out)
Coutts claims “this was not a political decision but one centred around inclusivity and purpose”. Pause for laughter. 
“The Chair concluded as follows [the Committee was unanimous]:
After the expiry of the mortgage with Coutts, NF would not be a criteria client and we should set a glide path to exiting NF when that mortgage expires.”
So the mortgage was the pretext. His politics were the real reason."

Edited by Heartofice

Whatever the reason, Coutts is a private bank. And private banks, unlike public libraries, are not public services. They are not obliged to provide anyone with banking services. I suppose they are bit like those wood-panelled, cigar smoke-filled old boys clubs - you know, the type of place Farage sat down with his Russian-backed chums to discuss how they were going to do Putin's work and wreck our country in the name of Brexit. You only gain admission to these places if your face fits. And Farage's face no longer fits. Boo fucking hoo. 

They offered him a NatWest current account. If that type of account is good enough for the likes of you and me, I'm sure it will serve perfectly well for Nigel Farage, Man of the People. 

Edited by Spockydog

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Whatever the reason, Coutts is a private bank. And private banks, unlike public libraries, are not public services. They are not obliged to provide anyone with banking services. 

Actually banks are incredibly highly regulated and cannot descriminate against customers based on political viewpoints. So no. 

And as I said, Coutts is a private bank. With elibibility criteria that, unlike regular banks, must be fulfilled in order to open an account. Farage's was closed because he ain't rich enough now the Russian money has dried up and he's no longer having his lifestyle funded by Arron fucking Banks.  

The fact is if Nigel Farage is so hung up on being a Coutts customer (what difference does it even make?), he shouldn't have paid his mortgage off early. Simples. 

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

As I said, Coutts is a private bank. With elibibility criteria that, unlike regular banks, must be fulfilled in order to open an account. The fact is if Nigel Farage is so hung up on being a Coutts customer (what difference does it even make?), he shouldn't have paid his mortgage off early. Simples. 

It's not even a private bank , it's owned by Natwest which is 40% publically owned for a start, therefore not private.

And no, there are no eligibility criteria regarding political views. 

Simple test for you here. If Jeremy Corbyn, big imaginary russian hat and all, is removed as a customer by a bank because they think he's a commie and didn't like the stuff he was saying about Israel, do you think that is totally legit, nothing to see here, they can do that.?

Lol. You really haven't got a clue. Quick, someone call the Private Banking Awards people. HoI has dropped the bombshell that Coutts is masquerading as a private bank, and should return all those private banking awards they have won over the years. 

From Coutts website:

https://www.coutts.com/private-banking.html

From wikipedia:

Coutts & Co. is a British private bank and wealth manager headquartered in London.

Edited by Spockydog

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Lol. You really haven't got a clue. Quick, someone call the Private Banking Awards people. HoI has dropped the bombshell that Coutts is masquerading as a private bank, and should return all those private banking awards they have won over the years. 

From Coutts website:

https://www.coutts.com/private-banking.html

From wikipedia:

Coutts & Co. is a British private bank and wealth manager headquartered in London.

Who owns Coutts?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coutts

Founded in 1692, it is the eighth oldest bank in the world. Today, Coutts forms part of NatWest Group's wealth management division.[3] 

Who owns Natwest?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NatWest

The British government currently owns around 48.1%,[2] previously 54.7% of NatWest Group after spending £45 billion ($61.87 billion) bailing out the lender in 2008.

Edited by Heartofice

It is still a private bank, mate. However much you want it not to be. 

Best Private Bank in the UK - Global Finance - Worlds Best Private Bank Awards 2021

Best Overall UK Private Bank - WealthBriefing European Awards

Best Private Bank for Philanthropic Services - Global Finance - World's Best Private Bank Awards 2020

Best Private Bank in the UK - Global Finance - World's Best Private Bank Awards 2019

I could go on and on and on. And on.

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

It is still a private bank, mate. However much you want it not to be. 

Its almost half owned by the government, you and me. Make of that what you will.

Now answer the point about Jeremy Corbyn. You are ok with that I take it.