Andrzej Sapkowski III

Jerol

@Calibandar From what I hear The Last Wish has the most significant translation problem, but if you didn't find it interesting I doubt you'll enjoy the rest of the series at all. Sword of Destiny is IMO the same quality as The Last Wish (and most other volumes as well for that matter), but is absolutely crucial for understanding character's motivations and decisions. Reading the rest without it simply makes no sense.

My advice: definitely read Sword of Destiny. Reading Blood of Elves without it is like starting The Lord of the Rings from Two Towers. If you don't like it, don't expect to like the novels.

Edited by 3CityApache

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski says you don’t have that long to wait for a new Witcher book.

What that book is, though, no one really knows. IGN (via IGN Poland) reports that at Comic Con Vienna, Sapkowski said that the next book will publish in Poland in late 2024, and worldwide in early 2025. Sapkowski’s entire statement on what the book might be about was vague, and dry, and thoroughly un-revealing:

“[Netflix] made a series based on one short story. They forced me to continue,” he said. “I’m not complaining. Thanks to this, I now have enough money for the rent.”

https://www.tor.com/2023/11/21/andrzej-sapkowski-says-a-new-witcher-book-is-coming-in-2025/

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski says you don’t have that long to wait for a new Witcher book.

What that book is, though, no one really knows. IGN (via IGN Poland) reports that at Comic Con Vienna, Sapkowski said that the next book will publish in Poland in late 2024, and worldwide in early 2025. Sapkowski’s entire statement on what the book might be about was vague, and dry, and thoroughly un-revealing:

“[Netflix] made a series based on one short story. They forced me to continue,” he said. “I’m not complaining. Thanks to this, I now have enough money for the rent.”

https://www.tor.com/2023/11/21/andrzej-sapkowski-says-a-new-witcher-book-is-coming-in-2025/

I really hope it’s not a direct sequel to lady of the lake as I consider the games to be canon in my head.hoping it’s a new story set hundreds of years later !

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

15 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I really hope it’s not a direct sequel to lady of the lake as I consider the games to be canon in my head.hoping it’s a new story set hundreds of years later !

Probably not hundreds of years:

Andrzej Sapkowski on his new Witcher book: “It is about Geralt”

During the Vienna Comic Con event, Andrzej Sapkowski was interviewed by Beyond Pixels in German and one of the questions was about the upcoming Witcher book that will be out next Winter. Asked whether this book will lead to more entries in the saga, he said: “No, that’s not my plan now. This new book is going to be a standalone but…maybe, who can say.“

Further, he said: “The book is directly about Geralt, but I won’t say more. […] It is outside the pentalogy.“

This confirms the theories about the timeline in which this book will be set. Just like Season of Storms, it seems to be outside the pentalogy that started with Blood of Elves and set somewhere between the short stories.

Source

But it also means that he won't overwrite whatever the games have done to the continuity, so that's some excellent news. I was afraid he was going to write a sequel of spite, and I wouldn't be able to handle that as a fan of both books and games (and a Pole). It should be noted that these two have different continuities or canons, but they rarely — if ever — overlap.

2 hours ago, MatikTheSeventh said:

Probably not hundreds of years:

Andrzej Sapkowski on his new Witcher book: “It is about Geralt”

During the Vienna Comic Con event, Andrzej Sapkowski was interviewed by Beyond Pixels in German and one of the questions was about the upcoming Witcher book that will be out next Winter. Asked whether this book will lead to more entries in the saga, he said: “No, that’s not my plan now. This new book is going to be a standalone but…maybe, who can say.“

Further, he said: “The book is directly about Geralt, but I won’t say more. […] It is outside the pentalogy.“

This confirms the theories about the timeline in which this book will be set. Just like Season of Storms, it seems to be outside the pentalogy that started with Blood of Elves and set somewhere between the short stories.

Source

But it also means that he won't overwrite whatever the games have done to the continuity, so that's some excellent news. I was afraid he was going to write a sequel of spite, and I wouldn't be able to handle that as a fan of both books and games (and a Pole). It should be noted that these two have different continuities or canons, but they rarely — if ever — overlap.

Why would he be spiteful now, after the new settlement with CDPR which now gives him royalties. How much more money does the guy want ?

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

I was underwhelmed by Season of Storms, but would very much have welcomed a sequel that dealt with Ciri's further adventures.

I really find her one of the best-written characters in fantasy, whereas, Geralt's story is very much done.

Agreed, it could take place between Lady and Witcher 3 timeline wise. A good way to keep everything canon and give us a something new in a sequel to the main story with one of the best characters. Always wanted to read about Ciri as a young , badass woman as opposed to the young girl in constant danger trope which is so overused in fantasy. TW3 gave us some excellent moments of it, but I want a full novel ! 

Are there any good Witcher graphic novels/comics you guys would recommend?

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Seems like another mediocre standalone inbetween like Season of Storms. 

I would so much prefer if he ever decided to write about Dijkstra, Boreas Mun and Isengrim Faoiltiarna after what happened in The Lady of the Lake.

If we don't get any more of Ciri, I would agree.  All three were secondary, but important and interesting, characters.

11 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Agreed, it could take place between Lady and Witcher 3 timeline wise. A good way to keep everything canon and give us a something new in a sequel to the main story with one of the best characters. Always wanted to read about Ciri as a young , badass woman as opposed to the young girl in constant danger trope which is so overused in fantasy. TW3 gave us some excellent moments of it, but I want a full novel ! 

Are there any good Witcher graphic novels/comics you guys would recommend?

I thought that Ciri was the right mix of vulnerable, and badass.  After all, she took out Rience and Leo Bonhart.  

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If we don't get any more of Ciri, I would agree.  All three were secondary, but important and interesting, characters.

I thought that Ciri was the right mix of vulnerable, and badass.  After all, she took out Rience and Leo Bonhart.  

Yeah in Lady I agree but the majority of it I think she was way to young(not her fault) I just want to read about an adult Ciri like her depiction in TW3. Had my fair share of Aryas in fantasy. (She’s not exactly like Arya but you get the comparison )

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Seems like another mediocre standalone inbetween like Season of Storms. 

I would so much prefer if he ever decided to write about Dijkstra, Boreas Mun and Isengrim Faoiltiarna after what happened in The Lady of the Lake.

Was SoS really that bad ? I’ve avoided it cause of all the negative fan reception but I’ve always enjoyed the off beat short story adventures from last wish and sword of destiny much more than the main books, is SoS anything like a longer version of a short story adventure ? If so then is it worth reading ?

1 minute ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yeah in Lady I agree but the majority of it I think she was way to young(not her fault) I just want to read about an adult Ciri like her depiction in TW3. Had my fair share of Aryas in fantasy. (She’s not exactly like Arya but you get the comparison )

I'm not very familiar with the video games, but my impression is that TW3 makes her a bit too confident, and badass, and I certainly don't envisage her being so buxom.  At least, IMHO.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

I'm not very familiar with the video games, but my impression is that TW3 makes her a bit too confident, and badass, and I certainly don't envisage her being so buxom.  At least, IMHO.

Hah, well leaving aside the physical depiction, I just prefer reading about her as an independent adult who’s more in control of her own powers and path, sorta like a female counterpart/successor to Geralt( as she’s been trained by him and essentially adopted). Got alot of potential to have her own series or short stories travelling different worlds. 

20 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Was SoS really that bad ? I’ve avoided it cause of all the negative fan reception but I’ve always enjoyed the off beat short story adventures from last wish and sword of destiny much more than the main books, is SoS anything like a longer version of a short story adventure ? If so then is it worth reading ?

It's certainly not bad. Some people like it, some don't but if you like The Witcher you should give it a try for sure. I, for one, really liked it, and the negative reception of some people did confuse me, but I still consider it an essential read, even if afterwards you'd feel like you won't reread it anytime soon.