Andrzej Sapkowski III

Jerol

The old thread had reached its limit so given that the new season is out on Netflix, I hope that generates new talk about the books. I tried reading the Last Wish but the writing seemed clunky. I think the translation may be partially to blame as the second book seemed a little better. The dialog is a bit rough but the worldbuilding is very impressive. 

My question is will the writing change/improve/deteriorate as I go forward? Do I want to purchase and plow through all the books when there are so many great books out there. Is there a payoff if I continue or should I just pick up the next Daniel Abraham? 

Can't say much for translation (I only heard there were issues, especially with the first few books), but there was nothing clunky about writing in original Polish. In fact, it was written almost flawlessly, given the short stories were author's debut. On the other hand, I do believe lots of Sapkowski's language (sometimes deliberately too modern for the setting) might have got lost in translation, no matter how good the interpreter.

I'd say read the first two volumes of short stories, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny and if that doesn't convince you to go on and start the novels, then it's probably not your cup of tea. The short stories are mostly considered the best of the bunch (though I personally don't share this view, I liked The Tower of Swallow and Lady of the Lake the most).

The whole series is well thought out, and the pay off is there, though I admit the ending itself had its contestants and the middle books tend to drag a bit. But there is also one of the most gripping battle descriptions I've ever read, at least matching Abercrombie's Heroes in my book.

Also, AFAIR, Wert published (also here) his extensive reviews of all the books, with grades.

It's been ages since I read it, but I don't recall Serbian translation being "clunky". I assume that it would b easier to translate to another Slavic language than to English so that could be a factor.

I've been thinking of re-reading the whole series for a while now so this might just be the time to do it.

Edited by baxus

I overall enjoyed the series despite the general choppy translation issues (I am assuming).   The world building is good, but there are times when the books arent sure if they wanted to be a 'Game of Thrones' political intrigue or a more focused 'people go on a journey', which is part of the reason why I think the Netflix adaptation gets confusing to the casual viewer.  I personally enjoyed the smaller party exploits more but was happy to skim through other areas that dragged without feeling it a loss to the experience. 

BTW, Andrzej Sapkowski has just officially confirmed he is working on another Witcher novel. He hasn't shared any details as to the timeline, if it's going to be a somewhat loosely connected prequel, like Season of Storms, or something else altogether. But he did say a Witcher book, not a book in the Witcher universe, which might suggest it's about Geralt again.

Personally, after Season of Storms, I'm not that thrilled, but we will have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

BTW, Andrzej Sapkowski has just officially confirmed he is working on another Witcher novel. He hasn't shared any details as to the timeline, if it's going to be a somewhat loosely connected prequel, like Season of Storms, or something else altogether. But he did say a Witcher book, not a book in the Witcher universe, which might suggest it's about Geralt again.

Personally, after Season of Storms, I'm not that thrilled, but we will have to wait and see.

Season of Storms was a disappointment.

A new story about Ciri would interest me.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:02 AM, horangi said:

I overall enjoyed the series despite the general choppy translation issues (I am assuming).   The world building is good, but there are times when the books arent sure if they wanted to be a 'Game of Thrones' political intrigue or a more focused 'people go on a journey', which is part of the reason why I think the Netflix adaptation gets confusing to the casual viewer.  I personally enjoyed the smaller party exploits more but was happy to skim through other areas that dragged without feeling it a loss to the experience. 

In the end, the politics isn't that important, and it's hard to determine which side is actually worse (probably Nilfgaard, but the Northern rulers are a pretty despicable bunch).

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

That's partly what made it so interesting for me actually.

I agree.  Certainly, the short stories show Nilfgaard as brutal aggressor, but the novels are more ambiguous.

The North are the aggressors there, and none of them is fighting to liberate Cintra, but rather to seize it.  Discrimination against non-humans is made brutally clear, and Nilfgaardian women are raped.

OTOH, the tactics employed by Nilfgaard’s armies and their Squirrel allies are hideously cruel.  And the empire itself is a totalitarian state.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for those who read it, it seems the later volumes start digging into Arthurian Legend a lot more, with Lady of the Lake, Nimue a significant character. Does this happen in Tower of Swallows as well? Anyways my main question is if he introduces Merlin or Arthur into the story? I know the first chapter features Galahad.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Question for those who read it, it seems the later volumes start digging into Arthurian Legend a lot more, with Lady of the Lake, Nimue a significant character. Does this happen in Tower of Swallows as well? Anyways my main question is if he introduces Merlin or Arthur into the story? I know the first chapter features Galahad.

Yennefer means Guinevere.  Sapkowski always said he drew on Arthurian legends (which, actually, I know very little about).  He seems to draw upon European tales, right across the board.

Galahad only appears right at the end of The Lady of the Lake.  If there is to be any new books, set after the main series, it probably has to feature him and Ciri as the central characters.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

What about Merlin or Arthur, do they appear in some guise, either as an obvious character or as then pretending to be someone?

IIRC, no, not really. The tie-ins to Arthur and medieval French history are kind of like Easter Eggs, not the main thrust of the story in the later volumes.

On 8/20/2023 at 10:17 PM, Calibandar said:

I still ordered Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire and Lady of the Lake in some lovely new Orbit hardbacks, excited to get started on this ( already have Blood of Elves).

But you do know about two intruductory volumes of short stories, which are essential to the plot and characters, aspecially The Sword of Destiny, to be read before Blood of Elves, right?