LGBTQ+ 7

Ran

22 hours ago, Ormond said:

It really has blown my mind how in the last couple of decades I have seen young men willing to label themselves "bisexual" when the majority of their attractions are to women and only 20% or less of their attractions are to other men. In my experience that would almost never have occurred 50 years ago. 

Thank you for the perspective, Ormond. It is much appreciated.

I do have to say going on a tangent on your post quote above, that it is incredible we are now talking about what % of attractions to same sex should or would be labeled as bi vs straight or gay. I don't find that ok. For me this super refined labeling invites more problem than it's worth long term. And in the end who cares really if penis goes into vag 20% or 30% or 60% of the time vs the alternative. It will only benefit that very straight conservative only.

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

People can obviously identify any way they choose, but when someone describes themselves as "queer", they have conveyed no useful information

Not up to your neat standards is it?! B) It's ok. The queer young people of the world know who they are and what they want. And if they don't they'll figure themselves out.

Her mom and I had previously wondered due to some of Llyra's interpersonal interests/fixations, whatever, but my eldest came out at 11 and she was pretty confident when I once asked her if she was sure, 'Not attracted to guys, dad.'

But there's one guy apparently, so he must be something. Been dating for a minute.

She's a little cheesed with her mother right now due to a side eyed, 'I liked it better when you were gay' comment, but that's her mom. I mean, Llyra found a guy she likes like that.

Ok.

The kid is still gay, woman [eye roll]

On 8/9/2023 at 4:27 AM, TormundsWoman said:

I was talking about the self identification label I quoted you on, that does not convey useful information according to you.

What were you talking about?!

What were you talking about? 

What was *I* talking about? :D 

Who's on first?!

Something that came up in the Lit thread that I now wonder about: are we still calling tie-in fiction "transmedia" fiction, or have we decided that perhaps this term might not be the most tasteful? That's the term my professors used when I was doing my master of publishing degree back in 2008, but now I can't help but wonder if we should use "tie-in" fiction instead? 

Has there been any discussion around this in the queer community at all? 

11 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Something that came up in the Lit thread that I now wonder about: are we still calling tie-in fiction "transmedia" fiction, or have we decided that perhaps this term might not be the most tasteful? That's the term my professors used when I was doing my master of publishing degree back in 2008, but now I can't help but wonder if we should use "tie-in" fiction instead? 

Has there been any discussion around this in the queer community at all? 

I have never personally seen or heard the term "transmedia" before, but if it is a well-established term used by literary scholars for the life of me I don't see why it should be abandoned.

My Random House Unabridged Dictionary includes five pages of words starting with the prefix trans-.  It seems that it would be people who are prejudiced against transsexual or transgender persons who would be the ones objecting to the use of terms like "transmedia" to me. Why should "transmedia" be "distasteful" to a non-cisgender person any more than words like transaction, transalpine, transdermal, transducer, transference, transfix, transfuse, transmigrate, transmogrify, transpose, etc., etc. etc.??

Edited by Ormond
spelling

On 8/7/2023 at 6:13 AM, IlyaP said:

It doesn't help that bisexuals have historically been depicted in a negative light in media.

I think possibly the best tackling I’ve seen of Biphobia  came from a show called China IL.

The mayor is moved over to reluctant tolerance when he’s convinced that anchovies toppers literally can’t help

One of the characters eventually comes out as liking anchovies and pepperoni and this is taken as proof that people can and are choosing what’s topping to like so there’s no need for tolerance. In the end the whole thing is explicitly compared to gay marriage and it’s pointed out it doesn’t matter why people like what they like so long as it’s not hurting anyone. 

• 4 months later...

The Philadelphia Gayborhood is having a little Liz-Magill moment of its own, over--you guessed it--the conflict in Gaza.

But when the artist attempted to enter Tabu for a scheduled performance on Friday, Dec. 8, she was barred entry based on a sign she was carrying. The sign reads, “Our generation will free Palestine” with “Biden, demand a ceasefire. If you support genocide, you Isreal dumb! @joebiden @potus do the right thing” on the back.

There was some predictable outrage over this incident, but this comment really caught my eye:

“A queer bar is seen as a place of safety to make statements of personal expression,” said Gaver. “Policing statements that you don’t agree with removes any and all safety performers feel in that space.”

So if a performer carried a sign that asserted that sex is binary, or that the Holocaust didn't happen, I presume Gaver (himself a drag queen) wouldn't want those statements policed? He'd want to protect the right of a performer to state that Germany didn't kill millions of Jews?

Like many here, I have seen many a gay event or Pride celebration roiled by an insistence that certain political stances are welcome and some not. The obvious problem is that no one can agree what stances those should be. In my view, everyone who is in the community, along with supporters, should be welcome at these events, regardless of their beliefs on Palestine, capitalism, the police, etc. I said this back in the 90s when the Log Cabin Republicans were regularly booed at Pride, and I say it now when drag queens are carrying signs that accuse Israel of committing genocide. You either believe in a free expression culture or you don't. If you do, you'd better not complain when you encounter messages you dislike. If you don't, then you'd better not complain when you yourself are censored.