TTTNE..." title" more research is needed

rocksniffer

On 10/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, The BlackBear said:

Sounds like past Buckwheat thought that was future Buckwheats problem.

Past Buckwheat has had ideas that were later proven to be stupid before. But anyway, the day is over and all in all, I cannot complain about early starts in this school year, since I don't start this early most of the days.

I have just got back from a long weekend in Prague. Which is a beautiful city. Though I drank too much and slept too little so I was exhausted when we got back.

Prague is nice indeed, I visited once years ago with my family.

In book news I am slowly but surely creeping through my completionist discworld reread (catching the ones I'd missed.) It caused a half forgotten memory to surface, that I think Angua was my first crush :blush:

I need to read this. At some point. The to be read list in my mind is ever growing and there is never enough time to read through it, and I just keep switching priorities on what to read next.

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I need to read this. At some point. The to be read list in my mind is ever growing and there is never enough time to read through it, and I just keep switching priorities on what to read next.

I know that problem well. Luckily the discworld books are all pretty short and you can breeze through them pretty quick.

Just finished the second season of Wheel of Time, thought it was pretty good, some episodes I might go as far as to say we're excellent. I haven't read the series though so don't know how they compare.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:02 AM, The BlackBear said:

Sounds like past Buckwheat thought that was future Buckwheats problem.

Sounds like a grand old time!

I have just got back from a long weekend in Prague. Which is a beautiful city. Though I drank too much and slept too little so I was exhausted when we got back.

My partner has just gone away for a week, so I shall be descending into slovenly bachelorism.

In book news I am slowly but surely creeping through my completionist discworld reread (catching the ones I'd missed.) It caused a half forgotten memory to surface, that I think Angua was my first crush :blush:

How was your week of bachelorism?

13 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Past Buckwheat has had ideas that were later proven to be stupid before. But anyway, the day is over and all in all, I cannot complain about early starts in this school year, since I don't start this early most of the days.

Prague is nice indeed, I visited once years ago with my family.

I love the Discworld books. There are a lot of course but you can split them into different groups so its not compulsory to (and a lot recommend you don't) Read them in publishing order. I actually quite enjoy the first two books. Naturally my favourites are The Witches series (and the related but separate YA Tiffany Aching series). The Hogfather has also become a compulsory Christmas read.

Speaking of Pratchett, I'm currently listening to the Good Omens audiobook. 

I have read Good Omens a few times, but the translation into Slovene, which is very good.

Now I started reading a rare Slovene fantasy book, I am not yet far enough into it to really form an opinion. The prologue and the first few chapters are really confusing, but now some information have started to show.

But I also have a whole pile of students' tests to read through, and in the coming week, I will have even more of those, so I don't know how much motivation I will have to left to read anything.

12 hours ago, HexMachina said:

How was your week of bachelorism?

It's going alright. But I always forget just how much work being single is. You have to cook AND do the washing up. Hang the washing AND put it away. Do ALL the shopping. Do ALL the cleaning. And apparently I'm meant to do all this whilst working and getting some exercise in. Much easier when all the housework is shared.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 4:27 PM, The BlackBear said:

It's going alright. But I always forget just how much work being single is. You have to cook AND do the washing up. Hang the washing AND put it away. Do ALL the shopping. Do ALL the cleaning. And apparently I'm meant to do all this whilst working and getting some exercise in. Much easier when all the housework is shared.

I haven't lived with a partner before, but I am glad the work reduces once you do. ;)

In other news, three work days and then I have a week off, yay.

Also, there is a quiz in the local bookshop on Friday and the topic is fantasy/sci-fi literature and films. I really want to go, but sadly I don't have a team to go with. :(

On 10/15/2023 at 9:28 AM, Buckwheat said:

I have read Good Omens a few times, but the translation into Slovene, which is very good.

Now I started reading a rare Slovene fantasy book, I am not yet far enough into it to really form an opinion. The prologue and the first few chapters are really confusing, but now some information have started to show.

But I also have a whole pile of students' tests to read through, and in the coming week, I will have even more of those, so I don't know how much motivation I will have to left to read anything.

I hope that reading student papers is as entertaining as reading good omens.  although I doubt this very much, especially if this also results in pass grades which I also hope your students get.

basically I have unrealistic hopes for you.

18 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I haven't lived with a partner before, but I am glad the work reduces once you do. ;)

In other news, three work days and then I have a week off, yay.

Also, there is a quiz in the local bookshop on Friday and the topic is fantasy/sci-fi literature and films. I really want to go, but sadly I don't have a team to go with. :(

Oh my sweet summer child.  Work only reduces when living with a female partner.

Although work is shared, its mostly not equal and often work increases in other ways desite not doing a few of the jobs.

although if I am honest my work dramatically decreased when Hubby retired and bacame a house wife  (he now does 90% of the work  but this is a special case) I have hopes that maybe things will be equally shared once I retire.

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I hope that reading student papers is as entertaining as reading good omens.  although I doubt this very much, especially if this also results in pass grades which I also hope your students get.

Well, it is definitely not as entertaining as reading Good Omens. It is mostly frustrating.

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Oh my sweet summer child.  Work only reduces when living with a female partner.

Damn.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

You could ask the bookshop if there are other people looking for team members...

Hello all.  Sorry to intrude.

Just peeking in to invite you all to participate in Secret Santa this year.  We've taken out gift amounts and invite everyone to use your skills instead of your money to bring joy to one of our fellow members.  Bake, write, draw, create...

17 hours ago, felice said:

You could ask the bookshop if there are other people looking for team members...

I am thinking of doing that, although it doesn't sound too appealing to be mixed with some other group like a third wheel. None of my coworkers seem to be interested. (There were a few of them present at the last one, which was history themed.) 

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am thinking of doing that, although it doesn't sound too appealing to be mixed with some other group like a third wheel.

It seems likely that everyone in such a group would be in the same position as you, and either way, you could potentially meet some cool people!

I went to the quiz and joined a group of teachers from the other school, turns out I sorta kinda knew one of them. It was nice after all, but the questions were ... absolutely not what I expected, and we ended almost the last. :lol: Way too many questions about Star Trek, Pokemon and some video games. None on ASOIAF, Zamonia, Neverending Story, Artemis Fowl and other stuff I expected. So yeah. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I went to the quiz and joined a group of teachers from the other school, turns out I sorta kinda knew one of them. It was nice after all, but the questions were ... absolutely not what I expected, and we ended almost the last. :lol:

Glad you had a good time! The genre is way too big these days... even for dedicated fans, it's impossible to be knowledgeable about all the popular stuff.

This sounds like so much fun, I would so force myself to go to a quiz in a local bookshop with random people! Meeting new people and making new friends as an adult is sooooo hard. So cudos to you for going and having a great time! Wish we had similar stuff locally. 

I’m dog-sitting and catching up on work today. The weather is increasingly autumnal though it’s still not cold enough for hot chocolates. I have next week off so hopefully some nice crispy morning walks will be on schedule. 

Happy the Day After Whatever You Celebrated In The Past Few Days!

I still have the days until Monday off ... so obviously I am in the library right now, working on the dissertation. Such is life. :read: 

But I think I am going to take the next few days off more. I need to go shopping for new shoes and clothes too (some things I usually wear are falling apart). And tomorrow I am going on a short day trip, if the weather will permit it.