Upcoming TV shows/Movies: A Post-Strike World

Corvinus85

Glen Powell to Star in Edgar Wright’s Remake of ‘The Running Man’

Glen Powell, Hollywood’s favorite rising star, has nabbed his first action vehicle.

The actor, who cemented his leading-man status with the hit romantic comedy Anyone but You, will star in Paramount’s The Running Man, a new adaptation of the Stephen King novel that Edgar Wright will direct.

Wright, who’s been attached to the project since 2021, is also producing along with partner Nira Park and genre mainstay Simon Kinberg.

Amazon MGM Studios upcoming stuff:

Dwayne Johnson and Chris Evans’ movie Red One. While we agree to keep mum about the details of the Santa Claus rescue movie, let’s just say the originally conceived for Prime Video title is definitely meant for theatrical, which is where it’s going on Nov. 15; the only wide release currently on that weekend. Let’s just say that Red One is a fire-breathing Christmas action movie that completely reinvents the holiday genre. There hasn’t been a mass appealing Christmas tentpole in six years, the last being Illumination/Universal’s The Grinch which made over a half billion worldwide. Red One is a really fun original action film for both Johnson and Evans, and it’s a world building piece of IP which lends itself to potential sequels set around different holidays.

Plan B’s The Nickel Boys which will hit theaters this year, the movie based on Colson Whitehead‘s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and starring Oscar nom Aunjanue Ellis (King Richard).

There’s also the Bart Layton directed Crime 101 based on the Don Winslow novella which will be released in 2025.

Also destined for theaters next year is the Luca Guadagnino directed, Julia Roberts starring After the Hunt which is produced by Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer and Allan Mandelbaum and Guadagnino’s Frenesy banner. The film is an intense dramatic thriller about a college professor (Roberts) who finds herself at a personal and professional crossroads when a star pupil levels an accusation against one of her colleagues and a dark secret from her own past threatens to come to light.

Coming in 2026 is the Ryan Gosling headlining and produced astronaut movie Project Hail Mary from scribe Drew Goddard and Phil Lord and Christopher Miller directing.Andy Weir’s Project Hail Mary is getting adapted into a movie, with Ryan Gosling on board to star and produce, Christopher Miller and Phil Lord (the Spider-Verse films) directing, and Drew Goddard (The Martian, Netflix’s Daredevil series) penning the script.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 4/21/2024 at 3:47 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Coming in 2026 is the Ryan Gosling headlining and produced astronaut movie Project Hail Mary from scribe Drew Goddard and Phil Lord and Christopher Miller directing.Andy Weir’s Project Hail Mary is getting adapted into a movie, with Ryan Gosling on board to star and produce, Christopher Miller and Phil Lord (the Spider-Verse films) directing, and Drew Goddard (The Martian, Netflix’s Daredevil series) penning the script.

I definitely did not imagine Gosling as playing the protagonist of this story, but I look forward to it nonetheless. Good choices for the writer and directors. If they adapt it as well The Martian was adapted, it will be another great SF movie.

Al Pacino, Dan Stevens to Play Troubled Priests in Exorcism Horror ‘The Ritual’ (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2024/film/global/al-pacino-dan-stevens-the-ritual-horror-david-midell-1235979115/

Based on a true story, “The Ritual” follows two priests — one questioning his faith (Stevens) and one reckoning with a troubled past (Pacino) — who must put aside their differences to save a possessed young woman through a difficult and dangerous series of exorcisms. The film is an authentic portrayal of Emma Schmidt, an American woman whose demonic possession culminated in harrowing exorcisms. Her case remains the most thoroughly documented exorcism in American history.

John Hillcoat who directed The Road (middling adaptation of a great McCarthy book) is set to direct I hear. 

This is Blood Meridian we're talking about and who is this guy exactly?

And Chris Pratt as The Judge, please let this adaptation not make it.

Would be cool if someone like Robert Eggers read it and convinced himself (that there was enough horror for him) to attempt. 

Edited by TheLastWolf
bracketed

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

John Hillcoat who directed The Road (middling adaptation of a great McCarthy book) is set to direct I hear. 

This is Blood Meridian we're talking about and who is this guy exactly?

And Chris Pratt as The Judge, please let this adaptation not make it.

Would be cool if someone like Robert Eggers read it and convinced himself (that there was enough horror for him) to attempt. 

I remember really liking the western he did (The Proposition - 2005). Very bleak. Very brutal. 

I don’t see anything about Pratt still being attached in the above article, so hopefully that’s not the case anymore. I saw a fan casting for The Judge of Anthony Carrigan from Barry, and now I can’t unsee it. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I don’t see anything about Pratt still being attached in the above article, so hopefully that’s not the case anymore.

Hopefully, but him being approached at all doesn't bode well for my impression of the filmmaker's idea of the book. If only Stellan Skarsgard was younger...

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I saw a fan casting for The Judge of Anthony Carrigan from Barry, and now I can’t unsee it. 

More bulk and height, he's perfect 

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh Jackman & Jodie Comer To Star In Robin Hood Reimagining ‘The Death Of Robin Hood’
https://deadline.com/2024/05/hugh-jackman-jodie-comer-death-robin-hood-michael-sarnoski-cannes-market-1235903543/

EXCLUSIVE: Here’s a buzzy one. Oscar nominee Hugh Jackman (Les Misérables) and Emmy winner Jodie Comer (Killing Eve) are attached to star in new movie The Death Of Robin Hood, we can reveal.

Pig and A Quiet Place: Day One director Michael Sarnoski is writer-director on the project, which will be among the hot titles on sale at this month’s Cannes market via WME Independent. Arrival and The Prestige producer Aaron Ryder is among the producing team.

The film is a darker reimagining of the classic Robin Hood tale. Set of its time, the film will see the title character grappling with his past after a life of crime and murder, a battleworn loner who finds himself gravely injured and in the hands of a mysterious woman who offers him a chance at salvation. Production is due to begin in February 2025.

Zach Cregger’s Weapons Adds Benedict Wong & Others to Josh Brolin-Starring Feature
https://deadline.com/2024/05/weapons-movie-casts-benedict-wong-amy-madigan-austin-abrams-more-1235902536/

EXCLUSIVE: New Line‘s horror thriller Weapons has rounded out its cast with the addition of Benedict Wong (3 Body Problem), Amy Madigan (Antlers), Austin Abrams (Euphoria), and Cary Christopher (Days of Our Lives).

As previously announced, Josh Brolin, Julia Garner and Alden Ehrenreich will lead the cast.

Pic’s plot and all roles are under wraps. Written and directed by Zach Cregger, it marks his follow-up to Barbarian, the horror film marking his debut solo outing which opened #1 at the box office in 2022 and sits at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Kristen Stewart and Oscar Isaac Are Starring in a Vampire Movie From the Director of Mandy
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/kristen-stewart-oscar-isaac-vampire-thriller-flesh-of-the-gods-1235888602/

Kristen Stewart and Oscar Isaac are set to star in Flesh of the Gods, a vampire thriller to be directed by Panos Cosmatos, the filmmaker best known for his hallucinatory 2018 horror movie Mandy.

Written by Andrew Kevin Walker, best known as the screenwriter behind 1990s classic Se7en, and based on a story by Cosmatos and Walker, Flesh is set in Los Angeles during the glittering 1980s.

Per the producers, the story follows a married couple, Raoul (Isaac) and Alex (Stewart), who descend each evening from their luxury skyscraper condo and head into an electric nighttime realm of ’80s LA. When they cross paths with the mysterious and enigmatic woman and her hard-partying cabal, Raoul and Alex are seduced into a glamorous, surrealistic world of hedonism, thrills and violence.