FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)

Mladen

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

Big surprise on the Best Actress there, but having just seen Anatomy of a Fall, it's the best performance I've seen this year (my previous best of the year was Mulligan in Maestro). And she stars in The Zone of Interest, too? Yeesh. Hard to top that.

Wonder if this'll herald more of a race for the Best Actress than people expected.

Still need to see May December

Not that big of a surprise. Hüller has been lauded since Cannes and despite Merve Dizdar won Best Actress at Cannes, Sandra was the star. The fact that Gladstone managed to "steal the spotlight" from Hüller and Stone and become the most awarded in Lead Actress category is quite the success. 

I prefer Hüller and I do believe she was the best. However, the last foreign actress that won was Marion Cotillard in 2007 for "La Vie En Rose". I doubt Academy will be awarding Sandra. 

@Mr. Chatywin et al., I thibk BARBENHEIMER will.take the main prize, with Gladstone taking the Oscar for KILLERS. Da'Vine Joy Randolph will take one for THE HOLDOVERS and most likely, that would be that.

1 hour ago, Mladen said:

However, the last foreign actress that won was Marion Cotillard in 2007 for "La Vie En Rose".

I’m not sure whether you’re talking about the NBR or the Academy Awards? Either way, wasn’t Michelle Yeoh the last non-American to win both last year? 

2 hours ago, Mladen said:

The National Board of Film Critics Awards

Hide contents
  Hide contents

Best Picture: PAST LIVES

Runners-up: THE ZONE OF INTEREST

OPPENHEIMER

Best Director: Jonathan Glazer, THE ZONE OF INTEREST

Runners-up: Todd Haynes, MAY DECEMBER

Christopher Nolan, OPPENHEIMER

Best Screenplay: Samy Burch, MAY DECEMBER

Runners-up: Celine Song, PAST LIVES

David Hemingson, THE HOLDOVERS

Best Actress: Sandra Hüller, ANATOMY OF A FALL & THE ZONE OF INTEREST

Runners-up:
Emma Stone, POOR THINGS

Lily Gladstone, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

Best Actor: Andrew Scott, ALL OF US STRANGERS

Runners-up: Jeffrey Wright, AMERICAN FICTION

Cillian Murphy, OPPENHEIMER

Best Supporting Actress: Da'Vine Joy Randolph, THE HOLDOVERS

Runners-up:
Penéleope Cruz, FERRARI

Rachel McAdams, ARE YOU THERE, GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET.

Best Supporting Actor: Charles Melton, MAY DECEMBER

Runners-up: Robert Downey, Jr., OPPENHEIMER

Ryan Gosling, BARBIE

Best Cinematography: Rodrigo Prieto, KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON

Runners-up: Łukasz Żal, THE ZONE OF INTEREST

Hoyte van Hoytema, OPPENHEIMER

Best Film Not in the English Language: FALLEN LEAVES

Runners-up: THE ZONE OF INTEREST

ANATOMY OF A FALL

Best Nonfiction Film: MENUS-PLAISIRS — LES TROISGROS

Runners-up: 20 DAYS IN MARIUPOL

KOKOMO CITY

How is The Zone of Interest a runner-up in the foreign language category and also a runner-up in the Best Picture category - to a different film?! 

That makes no sense. If Fallen Leaves is better than The Zone of Interest according to them, then why is Fallen Leaves not the runner-up in the Best Picture category over The Zone of Interest and the Anatomy of a Fall?

2 hours ago, Mladen said:

Not that big of a surprise. Hüller has been lauded since Cannes and despite Merve Dizdar won Best Actress at Cannes, Sandra was the star. The fact that Gladstone managed to "steal the spotlight" from Hüller and Stone and become the most awarded in Lead Actress category is quite the success. 

I prefer Hüller and I do believe she was the best. However, the last foreign actress that won was Marion Cotillard in 2007 for "La Vie En Rose". I doubt Academy will be awarding Sandra. 

@Mr. Chatywin et al., I thibk BARBENHEIMER will.take the main prize, with Gladstone taking the Oscar for KILLERS. Da'Vine Joy Randolph will take one for THE HOLDOVERS and most likely, that would be that.

You mean the last actress to win for a film not in English language, not the last foreign actress. 

20 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m not sure whether you’re talking about the NBR or the Academy Awards? Either way, wasn’t Michelle Yeoh the last non-American to win both last year? 

I meant Oscar. Last night were NSFC... NBR is National Board of Review - different body. Michelle Yeoh doesn't count as her role was mainly in English, in American-produced movie.

20 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

You mean the last actress to win for a film not in English language, not the last foreign actress. 

Foreign actress in a foreign movie (non-USA) not in English language... To be precise.

Tobight are Golden Globes. Won't be available for LIVE coverage as I am in Montenegro on Christmas holiday, away from my laptop.

1 hour ago, Mladen said:

I meant Oscar. Last night were NSFC... NBR is National Board of Review - different body. Michelle Yeoh doesn't count as her role was mainly in English, in American-produced movie.

Sure, but I was replying to what you said, “the last foreign actress that won was Marion Cotillard in 2007for "La Vie En Rose".

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sure, but I was replying to what you said, “the last foreign actress that won was Marion Cotillard in 2007for "La Vie En Rose".

Yeah, I was a bit reductive. When we talk about "foreign" it is not just origin of the actor, but also production and language. In terms of Oscars, no one considers Britosh, Canadian or Australian actors "foreign". When we speak about "foreign", we think of Emanuelle Riva, Penelope Cruz, Isabelle Huppert or Tang Wei, but not for example Naralie Portman or even Ana de Armas. That said, sometimes it depends on the case - dual citizenship or movie in English can play a role. Not to mention that A24 has started producing movies of Asian filmmakers so it also depends on actors, dorectors participating in the movie.

The 2024 Golden Globe Award Winners

Spoiler

BEST MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA
Anatomy Of A Fall
Killers Of The Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
The Zone Of Interest

BEST MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL OR COMEDY
Air
American Fiction
Barbie
The Holdovers
May December
Poor Things

BEST DIRECTOR, MOTION PICTURE
Bradley Cooper – Maestro
Greta Gerwig – Barbie
Yorgos Lanthimos – Poor Things
Christopher Nolan – Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese – Killers Of The Flower Moon
Celine Song – Past Lives

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA
Annette Bening – Nyad
Lily Gladstone – Killers Of The Flower Moon
Sandra Huller – Anatomy Of A Fall
Greta Lee – Past Lives
Carey Mulligan – Maestro
Cailee Spaeny – Priscilla

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL, OR COMEDY
Fantasia Barrino – The Color Purple
Jennifer Lawrence – No Hard Feelings
Natalie Portman – May December
Alma Pöysti – Fallen Leaves
Margot Robbie – Barbie
Emma Stone – Poor Things

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
Emily Blunt – Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks – The Color Purple
Jodie Foster – Nyad
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
Julianne Moore – May December
Rosamund Pike – Saltburn

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA
Bradley Cooper – Maestro
Colman Domingo – Rustin
Leonardo DiCaprio – Killers Of The Flower Moon
Barry Keoghan – Saltburn
Cillian Murphy – Oppenheimer
Andrew Scott – All Of Us Strangers

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL, OR COMEDY
Nicolas Cage – Dream Scenario
Timothee Chalamet – Wonka
Matt Damon – Air
Paul Giamatti – The Holdovers
Joaquin Phoenix – Beau Is Afraid
Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
Willem Dafoe – Poor Things
Robert De Niro – Killers Of The Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr. – Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling – Barbie
Charles Melton – May December
Mark Ruffalo – Poor Things

BEST SCREENPLAY, MOTION PICTURE
Anatomy Of A Fall
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE, MOTION PICTURE
The Boy And The Heron
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse
The Zone Of Interest

BEST ORIGINAL SONG, MOTION PICTURE
“What Was I Made For?” – Barbie

“I’m Just Ken” – Barbie
“Dance The Night” – Barbie
“Road To Freedom” – Rustin
“Addicted To Romance” – She Came To Me
“Peaches” – The Super Mario Bros. Movie

BEST MOTION PICTURE, ANIMATED
The Boy And The Heron

Elemental
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Suzume
Wish

BEST MOTION PICTURE, FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Anatomy Of A Fall

Fallen Leaves
Io Capitano
Past Lives
Society Of The Snow
The Zone Of Interest

GOLDEN GLOBE FOR CINEMATIC & BOX OFFICE ACHIEVEMENT
Barbie
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

“GOLDEN GLOBE FOR CINEMATIC & BOX OFFICE ACHIEVEMENT”

So, we’re just giving out an award for making the most money last year? Isn’t “making the most money last year” award enough? Why are there multiple nominees?

Looking at the nominees, the key word here appears to be Cinematic. If it really was about box office, then Fast X, The Little Mermaid and Quantumania would also be nominated. 

I think this award is meant to tell studio big wigs that films don't necessarily have to be assembly line productions to be financially successful, giving filmmakers artistic freedom can also do that.

I have just got some time to write a bit about Golden Globes.

First foremost, bring back Ricky Gervais... Or at least Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The host was HORRIBLE. The secondhand embarrassment in the room was palpable. The guy's jokes fell flat, one after another. One lacks words to explain what a terrible host he was.

As for winners, no real surprises. It is clear that OPPENHEIMER has the passion, industry loves it, not just the critics. Globes have zero overlaps with AMPAS in terms of membership, but they serve as the good barometer of who and what is going to win. And OPPENHEIMER winning five Globes is not a small thing. 

It may have been cruel, but I have never seen Internet celebrating someone's loss as it did with Bradley Cooper. Naturally, people were overjoyed with Cillian Murphy winning, but there has also been a lot of gloating over Cooper's loss. One may think it is just Internet being the usual toxic place, but I wouldn't be so reductive. Cooper's chances were always reliant on Academy awarding their own, an award-hungry actor pulling all the strings to get the coveted prize. Last year, we had Jamie Lee Curtis doing so and her win aged like milk. With Cooper, the public seems to want to make a point that Oscars should not be its own private ecosystem and internal affair of Hollywood elite. It is also rejection of the classic Oscar bait. Too many people recognize MAESTRO as Cooper's attempt of winning an Oscar, rather than an interesting retelling of Bernstein's life. While glad that Cillian Murphy kicked off televised award season with a win and while I salute public deconstructing the sense of Hollywood inner circle in awarding, I am not gloating over anyone's loss. Cooper was visibly disappointed and I understand how difficult it can be. And it must hurt being the bridesmaid, never the bride. In Comedy/Musical, Paul Giamatti took the well-deserved trophy. Giamatti now may be even second to Murphy. He would be a pleasant surprise, but I doubt he will go further than Oscar nom.

When it comes to lead actresses in two categories, it is Gladstone v Stone. Globes didn't allow any surprise there (Huller could have surprised and some people expected Robbie after BARBIE overperformed with nominations) but in many ways, this could be the repeat of the last year Lead Actress showdown. Gladstone certainly has the passion, something Stone terribly lacks. People want Lily to win, they want to see her and her story at the center, being properly awarded. I understand the sentiment. We have seen something similar with Yeoh last year, although the support for EEAAO was formidably stronger than the one KOTFM has. Then again, Blanchett also had passion Stone lacks, so we are having a toned-down version of last year. It is oversimplification, naturally but there are some parallels. Now, we need to figure out who the next three are. Huller seems safe. There was a lot of passion and love for ANATOMY OF A FALL, and I wouldn't be surprised if it appears in more places than we expected. Mulligan also seems safe. It seems Netflix was being lazy with her campaign, so she used Palm Springs to show that she has the industry's support by having none other than Meryl Streep present her with the award. Fifth spot could be between Robbie and Lee. PAST LIVES is doing great with the critics, but so is BARBIE, not mentioning it is doing well with industry. Robbie is certainly a known face and if BARBIE gets nominated everywhere, it would be unimaginable for Robbie to miss.

Supporting races are all but over. Da'Vine Joy Randolph went through critics circles like a knife through warm butter, and we only need to figure out who are the remaining 4 slots. Three, since Emily Blunt can reasonably called a lock, as OPPENHEIMER nomination sweep will benefit her too. Honestly, I would hate to see America Ferrera nominated, as her performance is such a lackluster, despite THE MONOLOGUE which was brilliantly written but not delivered. Brooks and Foster are in weak movies and if their leads miss, they could also be in danger of missing. SALTBURN may have become a thing, but we will see if it is enough for Rosamund Pike to get nominated. Julianne Moore is relatively safe, because MAY DECEMBER is such an acting movie, and both her and Melton almost safe. Dark horse is Penelope Cruz, whose role in FERRARI has been lauded. But visibility is the issue. Then again, Cruz is known to be Academy's darling who needs no precursors. So, she shouldn't be underestimated despite not appearing anywhere (actually she appeared on AACTA and BAFTA longlist, two industry awards so...)

In battle of the whales, RDJ is a clear winner. I have no doubt the rest will follow the suit and CCA, BAFTA and SAG will all award RDJ - after all, he has quite the solid performance in a probable Best Picture winner, he is a known face and his competition is not exactly in award-friendly movies. Personal opinion is that Charles Melton outacted everyone in this category, but he is too young and unknown to win against 4 previously nominated actors in Best Picture nominated movies (RDJ; Gosling, De Niro and Ruffalo).

Probably the biggest surprise of the night was the win in Screenplay for ANATOMY OF A FALL. Now, Globes is international body and they are more receptive of foreign movies, but nonetheless, this was surprising. It can highlight the love and passion for ANATOMY OF A FALL, or it could be just the Globe fluke. We'll see how WGA and AMPAS feel about ANATOMY OF A FALL. 

As for song and the score... Nothing to add. "What Was I Made For?" is such a beautiful song in a very popular movie, so I doubt it is surprising that it is winning. OPPENHEIMER in score... Ludwig Goransson did amazing work, he is a known face to Academy... 

Now, Globes clearly failed to communicate what their new award is all about. "Cinematic and Box Office achievement" is such a broad term. I feel Margot Robbie in her speech did a better job thanking people who "dressed up and went to the greatest place on Earth - cinema". So if the award is meant to symbolize the achievement in bringing people back to the cinema, then I suppose we can have a discussion about it. But if it is just "pop movie of the year"... It is pointless. 

That's all folks! :D Critics Choice Awards are coming next, SAG nominations will be announced in couple of days and we will have a better idea about acting races. 

2 minutes ago, Mladen said:

The host was HORRIBLE.

I don't like that he threw his writers under the bus, but he was basically a last minute selection and had virtually no prep time, so I'll cut him some slack. Apparently Chris Rock was workshopping his Oscar material in his club act months before the actual awards, to give a comparison.

While Golden Globe organizers (not HFPA, as they have been disbanded in June 2023) will undoubtedly celebrate, I do believe that all numbers of award ceremonies will rise. And that is because the profile of the movies being awarded is significantly higher this year.

Even this topic. last year's thread concluded in March 2023 with 28k views. This one right now has almost 34k views. So, I suppose the public's interest is higher this year.

19 hours ago, Mladen said:

I have just got some time to write a bit about Golden Globes.

First foremost, bring back Ricky Gervais... Or at least Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The host was HORRIBLE. The secondhand embarrassment in the room was palpable. The guy's jokes fell flat, one after another. One lacks words to explain what a terrible host he was.

As for winners, no real surprises. It is clear that OPPENHEIMER has the passion, industry loves it, not just the critics. Globes have zero overlaps with AMPAS in terms of membership, but they serve as the good barometer of who and what is going to win. And OPPENHEIMER winning five Globes is not a small thing. 

It may have been cruel, but I have never seen Internet celebrating someone's loss as it did with Bradley Cooper. Naturally, people were overjoyed with Cillian Murphy winning, but there has also been a lot of gloating over Cooper's loss. One may think it is just Internet being the usual toxic place, but I wouldn't be so reductive. Cooper's chances were always reliant on Academy awarding their own, an award-hungry actor pulling all the strings to get the coveted prize. Last year, we had Jamie Lee Curtis doing so and her win aged like milk. With Cooper, the public seems to want to make a point that Oscars should not be its own private ecosystem and internal affair of Hollywood elite. It is also rejection of the classic Oscar bait. Too many people recognize MAESTRO as Cooper's attempt of winning an Oscar, rather than an interesting retelling of Bernstein's life. While glad that Cillian Murphy kicked off televised award season with a win and while I salute public deconstructing the sense of Hollywood inner circle in awarding, I am not gloating over anyone's loss. Cooper was visibly disappointed and I understand how difficult it can be. And it must hurt being the bridesmaid, never the bride. In Comedy/Musical, Paul Giamatti took the well-deserved trophy. Giamatti now may be even second to Murphy. He would be a pleasant surprise, but I doubt he will go further than Oscar nom.

When it comes to lead actresses in two categories, it is Gladstone v Stone. Globes didn't allow any surprise there (Huller could have surprised and some people expected Robbie after BARBIE overperformed with nominations) but in many ways, this could be the repeat of the last year Lead Actress showdown. Gladstone certainly has the passion, something Stone terribly lacks. People want Lily to win, they want to see her and her story at the center, being properly awarded. I understand the sentiment. We have seen something similar with Yeoh last year, although the support for EEAAO was formidably stronger than the one KOTFM has. Then again, Blanchett also had passion Stone lacks, so we are having a toned-down version of last year. It is oversimplification, naturally but there are some parallels. Now, we need to figure out who the next three are. Huller seems safe. There was a lot of passion and love for ANATOMY OF A FALL, and I wouldn't be surprised if it appears in more places than we expected. Mulligan also seems safe. It seems Netflix was being lazy with her campaign, so she used Palm Springs to show that she has the industry's support by having none other than Meryl Streep present her with the award. Fifth spot could be between Robbie and Lee. PAST LIVES is doing great with the critics, but so is BARBIE, not mentioning it is doing well with industry. Robbie is certainly a known face and if BARBIE gets nominated everywhere, it would be unimaginable for Robbie to miss.

Supporting races are all but over. Da'Vine Joy Randolph went through critics circles like a knife through warm butter, and we only need to figure out who are the remaining 4 slots. Three, since Emily Blunt can reasonably called a lock, as OPPENHEIMER nomination sweep will benefit her too. Honestly, I would hate to see America Ferrera nominated, as her performance is such a lackluster, despite THE MONOLOGUE which was brilliantly written but not delivered. Brooks and Foster are in weak movies and if their leads miss, they could also be in danger of missing. SALTBURN may have become a thing, but we will see if it is enough for Rosamund Pike to get nominated. Julianne Moore is relatively safe, because MAY DECEMBER is such an acting movie, and both her and Melton almost safe. Dark horse is Penelope Cruz, whose role in FERRARI has been lauded. But visibility is the issue. Then again, Cruz is known to be Academy's darling who needs no precursors. So, she shouldn't be underestimated despite not appearing anywhere (actually she appeared on AACTA and BAFTA longlist, two industry awards so...)

In battle of the whales, RDJ is a clear winner. I have no doubt the rest will follow the suit and CCA, BAFTA and SAG will all award RDJ - after all, he has quite the solid performance in a probable Best Picture winner, he is a known face and his competition is not exactly in award-friendly movies. Personal opinion is that Charles Melton outacted everyone in this category, but he is too young and unknown to win against 4 previously nominated actors in Best Picture nominated movies (RDJ; Gosling, De Niro and Ruffalo).

Probably the biggest surprise of the night was the win in Screenplay for ANATOMY OF A FALL. Now, Globes is international body and they are more receptive of foreign movies, but nonetheless, this was surprising. It can highlight the love and passion for ANATOMY OF A FALL, or it could be just the Globe fluke. We'll see how WGA and AMPAS feel about ANATOMY OF A FALL. 

As for song and the score... Nothing to add. "What Was I Made For?" is such a beautiful song in a very popular movie, so I doubt it is surprising that it is winning. OPPENHEIMER in score... Ludwig Goransson did amazing work, he is a known face to Academy... 

Now, Globes clearly failed to communicate what their new award is all about. "Cinematic and Box Office achievement" is such a broad term. I feel Margot Robbie in her speech did a better job thanking people who "dressed up and went to the greatest place on Earth - cinema". So if the award is meant to symbolize the achievement in bringing people back to the cinema, then I suppose we can have a discussion about it. But if it is just "pop movie of the year"... It is pointless. 

That's all folks! :D Critics Choice Awards are coming next, SAG nominations will be announced in couple of days and we will have a better idea about acting races. 

Poor Things also won its Best Picture category. Although it did not win direction or screenplay or score, so Oppenheimer was clearly favored there.

I really liked Lily Gladstone's performance, but I  don't think there's a strong argument to be made that Gladstone should win because her performance is more impressive than Stone's.

Edited by Annara Snow

On 1/8/2024 at 4:28 PM, Cashless Society said:

Looking at the nominees, the key word here appears to be Cinematic. If it really was about box office, then Fast X, The Little Mermaid and Quantumania would also be nominated. 

I think this award is meant to tell studio big wigs that films don't necessarily have to be assembly line productions to be financially successful, giving filmmakers artistic freedom can also do that.

Basically, they want to give an award to a blockbuster movie that is good, but not as good to win Best Picture.

• Mladen changed the title to FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)