Jaqen's mission revealed?

Aebram

Tyrion had read much and more of dragons through the years. The greater part of those accounts were idle tales and could not be relied on, and the books that Illyrio had provided them were not the ones he might have wished for. ... And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel. (Dance 14)

When I came across this passage during one of my rereads, I had a sudden thought that this must be the reason why Jaqen H'ghar wanted access to the Citadel, which led to him killing Pate the novice in the prologue of Feast. The recent discovery of the original outline for that book seems to confirm this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/18519cz/spoilers_extended_grrms_20032004_outline_for_affc/

The section on the prologue includes the words "Pate -- steals book -- Death of Dragons."

Of course, the story line may have changed since that outline was written. But assuming that it's still true, what does it tell us? This has interesting implications.

At the House of Black and White, Arya learns that the Faceless Men are very thoughtful and selective about who they kill. When Arya proposed to kill the insurance broker by first killing one of his guards, the Kindly Man chastised her about "hacking down every man who stands in your way" (Dance 64). Yet Jaqen seems to have killed Pate simply to advance his own mission. Are the Faceless Men not as scrupulous as Arya was led to believe? Has Jaqen gone rogue? Or is there, perhaps, some special reason why the Faceless Men want that book, something so important that it justifies the killing of an innocent?

The Faceless Men are based in Braavos, a city founded by escaped slaves. Its people have a deep-seated hatred of slavery, and presumably of Valyria and dragons as well. So it's possible that the birth of Daenerys's dragons prompted the FM to take some extreme measures, in order to be able to fight against or even kill the dragons.

Jaqen kills Pate in the prologue of Feast; but in the last sentence of the last chapter of the book, we learned that "Pate" is still serving Marwyn at the Citadel. Apparently Jaqen took Pate's face, and then he took his place. But surely it wouldn't take long for a Faceless Man to find and steal a single book. Why has he stayed there so long?

I have ideas about answers to some of these questions. I won't dignify them by calling them "theories," since they're very speculative, with little or no evidence. For instance, once Jaqen had disguised himself as Pate, he was perfectly positioned to spy on Marwyn: watching him, reading his books and scrolls, etc. So it made sense for him to stay a while. Perhaps when he does leave, he'll take a glass candle or two, as well as the book. 

Perhaps it's time for another reread ... 

What say you?

Your humble scribe,

Aebram of Underhedge

APPENDIX: As long as we're discussing Jaqen, I'll remind you that there are some other puzzling questions about him, such as:

* How did Jaqen, a master spy and assassin, get captured and sent to the Wall?

* Were Rorge and Biter part of his mission, or was their presence a coincidence?

* Why did he feel the need to give Arya three lives? We don't see this idea mentioned anywhere else in the book, at least not among the Faceless Men . Again, it seems to contradict the idea that they are very selective about whom they kill. And after all, people get rescued from dangerous situations all the time. Are they all cheating the god of death?

Edited by Aebram

Yeah, the book theory has been kicked around for quite a while. But it seems like the maesters have as much to fear from dragons as the Braavosi and the Faceless Men, so it would be far easier to make common cause than to steal from one another, no?

The outline for AFFC seems sketchy, too. If it is legit, it can't possibly confirm anything since there are all kinds of things in there that didn't happen, ie, Brienne and the Hound, Rattleshirt and Val, something about the Mountain's missing tooth . . .   And it didn't end with Hardhome.

There´s a lot that doesn´t add up with the theory Jacqen is ordered to steal the book.

-e.g. getting thrown into jail In KL. As the OP said, how could that happen to a master spy like him ? Furthermore why was he even there ? He could have gone the whole way Braavos-Citadel by boat.

-he spends an awful lot of time postponing his mission to hover around Arya. From their first meeting to their farewell at Harrenhall months must have passed, maybe half a year or even more.

So are we to believe the FM are so relaxed with their deadlines they don´t care if something is done next week or only next year ? I find it more likely Jacqen isn´t there on order but is following his own agenda in his own pace.

15 minutes ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

There´s a lot that doesn´t add up with the theory Jacqen is ordered to steal the book.

-e.g. getting thrown into jail In KL. As the OP said, how could that happen to a master spy like him ? Furthermore why was he even there ? He could have gone the whole way Braavos-Citadel by boat.

Complete speculation on my part but I think it adds up quite well.  If Jaqen is, in fact, after some of Septon Barth's forbidden writings (as it seems to me) then he would have to determine some places where he might find them?  And, of course, this wouldn't be easy due to Baelor the Blessed's attempt at purging those writings from the world.  Some possibilities could be the Citadel, of course, as one of the foremost repositories of knowledge, and just maybe...a very old library largely cut off from the rest of the world that happens to have been presided over for many decades by a Targaryen (i.e. a family that may just be interested in dragons, etc.)   

So, I theorize that Jaqen wanted to be in the Black Cells because he knew of the precedent of emptying the Black Cells to accompany VIPs to the Wall.  I mean, what a great way to infiltrate the Night's Watch!  Someone volunteering would be scrutinized or, at least, would draw a lot of attention because, let's face it, hardly anyone does that currently in the story.  However, no one would give a second thought to just another common criminal being pressed into service.

Then, when that whole situation kinda went pear-shaped, I think Jaqen switched to plan B (the Citadel).

-he spends an awful lot of time postponing his mission to hover around Arya. From their first meeting to their farewell at Harrenhall months must have passed, maybe half a year or even more.

Remember, Jaqen said he felt he owed Arya a debt.  So, if we take him at his word, he logically didn't want to leave until he had paid that debt.  Or maybe he also saw something in her and wanted to look out for her a bit?  He did give her access to the secret society of Faceless Men, if she wanted to pursue it.  I doubt they hand those coins out to just anyone. 

So are we to believe the FM are so relaxed with their deadlines they don´t care if something is done next week or only next year ? I find it more likely Jacqen isn´t there on order but is following his own agenda in his own pace.

This is a good question and I think you may be right.  If the Faceless Men are after at least some of Septon Barth's writings on dragons, it may not actually be on behalf of someone else but on their own behalf.  Or, as you say, Jaqen could be acting simply on his own behalf?  And, in either case, maybe the deadline isn't quite as urgent?  I don't know, just having fun theorizing a bit;)  

Until Daenerys hatched her dragons, there were no dragons, hence no reason to have any interest in them.  So whatever Jaqen was doing in Kings Landing, it has nothing to do with dragons.  As to why he was in the Black Cells, he probably got caught doing something or being someplace he shouldn't have been.  It happens, even master criminals.  Actually, I doubt Martin really gave any though as to why he was there.

He probably returned to Braavos after he left Harrenhal, and was then sent to the Citadel to get info on dragons.  By then, there would be interest in them thanks to Daenerys.  Why he is still there I don't know, but I expect we'll find out.  Probably gathering, or perhaps destroying, information of one type or another.

As for Arya's coin, he probably figured that as a scion of a great house, she could be a useful asset for the FM in Westeros.  Especially if she is desperate enough to use the coin, she can probably be manipulated into working for them and helping them out from time to time.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

He probably returned to Braavos after he left Harrenhal, and was then sent to the Citadel to get info on dragons.  By then, there would be interest in them thanks to Daenerys.  Why he is still there I don't know, but I expect we'll find out.  Probably gathering, or perhaps destroying, information of one type or another.

Hadn´t thought of that before, him returning to Braavos and getting new orders. But it would make sense. More sense than any other explanation I´ve heard.

I don't know exactly where the FM/Arya plot is going, but my take is that despite their talk about indifferent killings for their god of death, the order has clear political motives tied to their history as slaves revolting against the Valyrian dragonlords.

Whatever their specific aims are, their political interests in Arya may allow them to be more pragmatic and forgiving of her many breaches of their customs--because she clearly demonstrates power that they could use for their own ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to force her into compliance by implying that she had no choice given her actions or something like that, but I doubt they will be quite as severe with her as was depicted in the show.

19 hours ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

Is it feasible for a secretive order like the FM to assign the book theft to JH after he got out of KL, after he sent Arya on her way, and after he killed Balon? I mean, when he was in the black cells, Dany's dragons weren't even born yet.

Edit: sorry, should have checked the thread to see if this point had already come up. Carry on.

Edited by John Suburbs
change

On 12/11/2023 at 3:21 PM, Prince of the North said:

So, I theorize that Jaqen wanted to be in the Black Cells because he knew of the precedent of emptying the Black Cells to accompany VIPs to the Wall.  I mean, what a great way to infiltrate the Night's Watch!  Someone volunteering would be scrutinized or, at least, would draw a lot of attention because, let's face it, hardly anyone does that currently in the story.  However, no one would give a second thought to just another common criminal being pressed into service.

Then, when that whole situation kinda went pear-shaped, I think Jaqen switched to plan B (the Citadel).

Yes, I definitely think this is a possible explanation.

Until Daenerys hatched her dragons, there were no dragons, hence no reason to have any interest in them.  So whatever Jaqen was doing in Kings Landing, it has nothing to do with dragons. 

That's a good point. Daenerys hatches her dragons in the last chapter of Game, and Arya leaves King's Landing with Jaqen and Yoren in the first chapter of Clash. We don't know exactly how much time elapsed between them; but given the sequence of chapters, it probably wasn't very long. And of course, even after the dragons hatched, most of the world would have been completely unaware of them until after she brought them to Qarth, some weeks or possibly a few months later.

All of this does seem to support the idea that, after leaving Arya, Jaqen went back to Braavos before traveling to the Citadel. This raises the question of why he wanted to go to the Wall. Perhaps The Faceless Men had heard about the increasing  threat of the Others, and wanted to investigate that.

38 minutes ago, Aebram said:

All of this does seem to support the idea that, after leaving Arya, Jaqen went back to Braavos before traveling to the Citadel. This raises the question of why he wanted to go to the Wall. Perhaps The Faceless Men had heard about the increasing  threat of the Others, and wanted to investigate that.

Yes, given the timing of the dragons hatching, etc. (that I had not taken into account so thanks everyone for that) maybe Jaqen being in the Black Cells was simply happenstance?  I don't know but it could be?  It was mentioned above, and I agree, that Martin doesn't write superheroes so even a Faceless Man could get caught and imprisoned.:dunno: