What Main Characters can you confidently say will survive?

On 3/11/2024 at 5:15 AM, SeanF said:

An ending where Tyrion triumphs, Daenerys dies, Jon is broken, but Sam lives happily, would be a lot more bitter than sweet.

A perfect ending where all villains are defeated and all the good guys live happily ever after would not fit this story, but I also don't think the story will be nihilistic.  Tyrion might be GRRM's "favorite character", but what is favorite?  Most likeable, or most enjoyable to read (or in his case, write for)?  He called Tyrion "the villain", so I don't think he actually "likes" Tyrion.

I think most of the villains will be defeated.  The Boltons and Freys will be gone, Euron will be gone, and the threat of the Others will end.  (But I don't think GRRM is writing a story about an "evil race" either, and I don't think genocide will be the solution against them, just like it wasn't during the first forgotten Long Night).  I think Tyrion will be the token bad guy who gets away with it, because nothing is perfect.  But as terrible as Tyrion is, he isn't worse than Tywin... so the Lannister legacy at least won't be much worse at the end of the story than at the beginning.

I think Jon's ending (if he's alive) will be somber but not devastating.  I think he is ASOIAF's Frodo (not Aragorn), and his death/resurrection will be Frodo's stabbing from the wraith.

Sam isn't the only "good guy" who I think is more likely than not to survive; there are Brienne and Sansa in the mix.  Asha is decent enough... certainly the best Greyjoy presented in the story.

I think "A Dream of Spring" isn't about spring arriving and everyone being happy, but the hope for spring and the hope for a positive future in the aftermath of an apocalyptic war... and that's sweet enough for me.

Regarding Dany, you and I don't agree on the projection of her storyline and I don't want to derail the thread by going into elaboration, but Dany's death won't sadden me in the least if she goes the path that I expect her to go.

Along with Bran and Sansa getting to live the dream, by treachery and manipulation

I don't know how Bran will get to his end point, but one thing I'm 100% certain of is it won't be a last-minute surprise with the stupidest rationale imaginable.  I can't predict if I will like Bran by the end of the story or not.

I already stated my predictions of Sansa, so obviously I don't think she will be treacherous or manipulative.  She certainly will never gloat about "no longer being a little bird" because (something that didn't happen in the books).  So far she's become a progressively better person, so I don't see any reason to fear that she will backslide.

GRRM said that the alternate telling may have a similar ending but completely different road to the destination.  All the problems are the road, and I'm not worried since they did such a horrendously crappy job adapting two masterpiece novels that clearly they were not capable of adapting a mere outline.

I’m coming to the conclusion that I would rather not get an ending.

That would make sad, but my unrealistic optimism about getting an ending is finally fading, so you'll probably get your wish.

3 hours ago, StarkTullies said:

A perfect ending where all villains are defeated and all the good guys live happily ever after would not fit this story, but I also don't think the story will be nihilistic.  Tyrion might be GRRM's "favorite character", but what is favorite?  Most likeable, or most enjoyable to read (or in his case, write for)?  He called Tyrion "the villain", so I don't think he actually "likes" Tyrion.

I think most of the villains will be defeated.  The Boltons and Freys will be gone, Euron will be gone, and the threat of the Others will end.  (But I don't think GRRM is writing a story about an "evil race" either, and I don't think genocide will be the solution against them, just like it wasn't during the first forgotten Long Night).  I think Tyrion will be the token bad guy who gets away with it, because nothing is perfect.  But as terrible as Tyrion is, he isn't worse than Tywin... so the Lannister legacy at least won't be much worse at the end of the story than at the beginning.

I think Jon's ending (if he's alive) will be somber but not devastating.  I think he is ASOIAF's Frodo (not Aragorn), and his death/resurrection will be Frodo's stabbing from the wraith.

Sam isn't the only "good guy" who I think is more likely than not to survive; there are Brienne and Sansa in the mix.  Asha is decent enough... certainly the best Greyjoy presented in the story.

I think "A Dream of Spring" isn't about spring arriving and everyone being happy, but the hope for spring and the hope for a positive future in the aftermath of an apocalyptic war... and that's sweet enough for me.

Regarding Dany, you and I don't agree on the projection of her storyline and I don't want to derail the thread by going into elaboration, but Dany's death won't sadden me in the least if she goes the path that I expect her to go.

I don't know how Bran will get to his end point, but one thing I'm 100% certain of is it won't be a last-minute surprise with the stupidest rationale imaginable.  I can't predict if I will like Bran by the end of the story or not.

I already stated my predictions of Sansa, so obviously I don't think she will be treacherous or manipulative.  She certainly will never gloat about "no longer being a little bird" because (something that didn't happen in the books).  So far she's become a progressively better person, so I don't see any reason to fear that she will backslide.

GRRM said that the alternate telling may have a similar ending but completely different road to the destination.  All the problems are the road, and I'm not worried since they did such a horrendously crappy job adapting two masterpiece novels that clearly they were not capable of adapting a mere outline.

That would make sad, but my unrealistic optimism about getting an ending is finally fading, so you'll probably get your wish.

I would like to see how the various cliffhangers in ADWD are resolved.

House Targaryen.

It seems to me that this family is the real protagonist, the core at the center of the entire collection of stories, including the companion books. They are the subject of a big chunk of the World book, as well as having an entire book devoted to them, with another volume to follow.

I don't know specifically who will survive. It could be Daenerys, or it might be some still-unrevealed Targaryen such as Jon Snow or Young Griff. It might be some long-lost Blackfyre. Perhaps Mirri Maz dur's prophecy was wrong, and Daenerys will have some children. But one way or another, I just don't think the George will kill them off at the end of the story. He's probably already got some ideas for sequels in his computer, or his head. 

My friend just started the first book and is very enthralled by this dashing young Night's Watch guy, Ser Weymar Royce. Says she can't wait to see how his character blossoms and matures in the next four books. 

She's a fast reader though. I'll keep you guys updated!

Edited by Sandy Clegg

1 hour ago, Sandy Clegg said:

My friend just started the first book and is very enthralled by with this dashing young Night's Watch guy, Ser Weymar Royce. Says she can't wait to see how his character blossoms and matures in the next four books. 

She's a fast reader though. I'll keep you guys updated!

She'll need to be patient - it's a while before we find out he wargs into Ser Pounce  :P

Honestly no one is definitely safe but I would be surprised if Tyrion, Bran or Arya died.  Likewise I think Sansa, Jon and Sam will survive. 

Asha and Davos are probable survivors but expendable. 

Arianne and Theon are possibilities as are The Hound, Meera and Jojen Reed, Hodor, Ghost and Summer.

Dany, Jaime, Cersei, Euron, Victarion, Aeron, JonCon and Stannis, Doran, Tommen, Myrcella, Margery, Loras, multiple Sand Snakes, (F)Aegon, Selyse, Shireen and Jorah Mormont are all toast.  Varys and LF too.

Areo Hotah: would we even notice either way?  That axe has more personality.

George has already outlined the five characters who will live to the end. Though he did not say in what form. Daenerys and Tyrion lives on as humans. Arya, Jon, and Bran will be alive as direwolves after their human bodies die in the last book.

Jaime, Cersei, Brienne, Stannis, Aegon will die. 

Samwell and Gillie might make it. 

Arya and Sansa will live.

Asha and Brienne will live.

Gendry and Robert Arryn will live.

Basically everyone else will die, Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Theon, Sandor, Arianne, Melisandre, Barry, Vic, Euron, Stannis, though some will live on in second lifes (Vic and Dany for certain, Jon likely, Lannister siblings possibly).

Bran, Sam Edmure and Pod not 100% on, think they live.