Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

2. Too little for a penalty imho. If Chelsea had been awarded a penalty for that, then City for once would've had more right to complain about that call, then Chelsea about it not being given.

I mean he’s clearly shoved him and it’s not shoulder to shoulder. It’s a foul and it’s in the box. It’s not the kind of thing that’s usually given but the officials having just decided they’re not going to give certain types of fouls in the box does irritate me.

Too little force for a penalty imo. Refs are usually a bit more lenient with fouls in the box, because a penalty (likely goal) is quite impactful. And refs really don't want the game and subsequent headlines to be about them (at least the good ones) and their decissions. So they are rather cautious in those situations.

It also wasn't a clear and obvious error, but rather within the discretion of the on-field referee how he judges that situation. So also not a VAR thing.

The handball I have a much harder time to justify the inaction of the VAR.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Refs are usually a bit more lenient with fouls in the box, because a penalty (likely goal) is quite impactful. And refs really don't want the game and subsequent headlines to be about them (at least the good ones) and their decissions. So they are rather cautious in those situations.

So I actually think that’s more ‘deserving’ of a penalty than a lot of penalties. Was Jackson going to score there? Probably not but he could have got a shot off and Walker’s absolutely deliberately knocking him off balance to prevent that. On other hand does someone’s toe getting clipped while they’re running away from goal in the box deserve a 90% chance of a goal? Not really.

Edited by ljkeane

A lot of defending is about knocking attackers off balance. That's too broad imo. Question is how the defenders does it/if he crosses a line.

Referee said no, I agree with that call. You disagree with it. I think a penalty call would've required more contact.

I'm sure you could possibly find a referee in a game that draws the line elsewhere and awards that penalty.

Ultimately I think, it was the right call, you disagree. Fine, let's move on.

Bayern back to pretending that they are good by pummeling Union today. The latter are far from safe in the relegation battle. Just three points on the play-off spot, and Mainz will play Freiburg tomorrow. So it's entirely possible that they could close the gap.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Somewhat disappointingly, there's no major transfer saga this time around (apparently). Altho, we official have no REAL idea where Mbappe is headed...

I mean there's this mild rumour of Musiala being a priority target for City (isn't it fun, when money is no issue). There's potentially Davies to Real.

We have Leverkusen's Grimaldo being linked with several destinations (likesay Bayern).

I am more curious, why there's no real fight over Olmo. Barca is once again linked to him, and with a € 60m release clause, it's not like he is unaffordable for the big boy clubs.

Heh, Everton have spent all season spurning high xg chances and then in probably the biggest game of the season McNeil scores that.

ETA: Beto did not look in a good way after that head clash.

Edited by ljkeane

TV cameras filming everywhere else for four minutes sort of indicates this is serious.

On the footballing side - McNeill scoring that is improbable, sure, but Gana scoring is impossible. I've never seen him hit the target from outside the box before.

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at West Ham

Meanwhile after back-to-back loss winning a game again felt nice.

At least keeping the 5 point cushion to the play-off rank intact. And almost equally important increasing the distance to our dearest neighbours to 11 points with 4 games to go. Run-in is rough. But play-off rank is secure, now it's just about staying on the direct promotion spot(s). Again, I don't care if we go up by winning the bloody league or by finishing second. I could just do without the bloody play-off games.

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea