Wake the Dragon III (The Miracle)

We begin with Khal Drogo's funeral.  The Dothraki went about their business according to their customs and laid the fire logs in a pattern.  They laid the first layer in a square.  Custom required the sacrifice of a horse so that Khal may ride in his afterlife.  The second layer of wood were laid east to west from sunrise to sunset.  Dany distributes gifts to her Bloodriders, Jhogo, Aggo, and Rakharo.  The third layer of smaller wood were laid north to south, from ice to fire.  

The orientations of the wood are significant because this is the order in which Quaithe wants Dany to travel.  But I also believe Dany will choose her own way just like she did in the House of the Undying.  She will decide as she did with the tricky doors in the Palace of Dust and escape whatever trap may be waiting.  

"Forgive me, sun of my life. Forgive me for all I have done and all I must do.  I paid the price, my star, but it was too high, too high."

She asks forgiveness because she will break Dothraki custom and refuse to go to Vaes Dothrak.  The price is their son, Rhaego.  No sacrifice is greater than one's own child.  The price for the three dragons.  

She command the dragon eggs be brought to her and put into the middle of the wood pile.  

"They were not given to me to sell."

Some great plan was at work that brought those eggs to Dany.  I don't think the magister knew enough about prophecies and such to have worked it out on his own.  Somebody told him what to do.  Through a dream maybe.  

The Red Comet, Dany's comet.  

"The first star was a comet, burning red.  Bloodred; fire red; the dragon's tail. She could not have asked for a stronger sign."

Dany starts the fire and walks into the flames.  The first egg cracks and the shells roll to her feet.  Viserion.  The second egg also opens.  I expect this is Rhaegal.  The third crack was louder and more forceful.  Drogon.

The fire dies down and Dany and her three dragons steps out.  

The prophecy comes true.  Dany Azor Ahai brought back the dragons.  Very like the Arthurian legend of the true and the deserving pulling the sword from the stone.  She pulled dragons from stones.

On 4/28/2024 at 5:08 PM, Sydney Mae said:

Some great plan was at work that brought those eggs to Dany.  I don't think the magister knew enough about prophecies and such to have worked it out on his own.  Somebody told him what to do.  Through a dream maybe.

What about Dany herself? Did she know how to do what she did and if not, was there another influence on her?  If she did know, where did that knowledge come from?

8 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

What about Dany herself? Did she know how to do what she did and if not, was there another influence on her?  If she did know, where did that knowledge come from?

Bran's ancestors are talking to him through the trees and crow eyes.  Are Dany's ancestors talking to her too?  The kings in one of the dragon dream are her ancestors.  

On 4/29/2024 at 12:08 AM, Sydney Mae said:

But I also believe Dany will choose her own way just like she did in the House of the Undying.  She will decide as she did with the tricky doors in the Palace of Dust and escape whatever trap may be waiting.  

"Forgive me, sun of my life. Forgive me for all I have done and all I must do.  I paid the price, my star, but it was too high, too high."

She asks forgiveness because she will break Dothraki custom and refuse to go to Vaes Dothrak.  The price is their son, Rhaego.  No sacrifice is greater than one's own child.  The price for the three dragons.  She command the dragon eggs be brought to her and put into the middle of the wood pile.  .  

Absolutely  Rhaego was the sacrifice that gave the life to the dragons. He was born a thousand years dead, fossilised as once they were.

Also agree that is was a choice for Dany. When the crone of the Dosh Khaleen made her prophecy, Dany had not yet made her choice. Take away the cultural blinkers that caused the woman to only foresee The Stallion that mounts the World and the prophecy gets fulfilled either way - either of her children will change the world.

Some great plan was at work that brought those eggs to Dany.  I don't think the magister knew enough about prophecies and such to have worked it out on his own.  Somebody told him what to do.  Through a dream maybe

The eggs weren't given to Dany for her to sell as Viserys sold their mother's crown, and for her to become a beggar queen. Dany is refusing that fate, but she is also understanding Illyrio's intention - he meant the eggs to be a symbol, reminding everyone of her Targaryen status.

The great plan at work was Varys and Illyrio's plan for Dany - and the fossilised eggs were only a small part of that. Actual dragons hatching from those eggs wasn't anticipated as part of that plan, and Illyrio wasn't working under the influence of anybody that had prophesied dragons.

On 5/1/2024 at 4:31 PM, Buried Treasure said:

Absolutely  Rhaego was the sacrifice that gave the life to the dragons. He was born a thousand years dead, fossilised as once they were.

Also agree that is was a choice for Dany. When the crone of the Dosh Khaleen made her prophecy, Dany had not yet made her choice. Take away the cultural blinkers that caused the woman to only foresee The Stallion that mounts the World and the prophecy gets fulfilled either way - either of her children will change the world.

The eggs weren't given to Dany for her to sell as Viserys sold their mother's crown, and for her to become a beggar queen. Dany is refusing that fate, but she is also understanding Illyrio's intention - he meant the eggs to be a symbol, reminding everyone of her Targaryen status.

The great plan at work was Varys and Illyrio's plan for Dany - and the fossilised eggs were only a small part of that. Actual dragons hatching from those eggs wasn't anticipated as part of that plan, and Illyrio wasn't working under the influence of anybody that had prophesied dragons.

The Magister couldn’t have known the eggs would hatch. But somebody did. 

On 4/28/2024 at 7:08 PM, Sydney Mae said:

We begin with Khal Drogo's funeral.  The Dothraki went about their business according to their customs and laid the fire logs in a pattern.  They laid the first layer in a square.  Custom required the sacrifice of a horse so that Khal may ride in his afterlife.  The second layer of wood were laid east to west from sunrise to sunset.  Dany distributes gifts to her Bloodriders, Jhogo, Aggo, and Rakharo.  The third layer of smaller wood were laid north to south, from ice to fire.  

The orientations of the wood are significant because this is the order in which Quaithe wants Dany to travel.  But I also believe Dany will choose her own way just like she did in the House of the Undying.  She will decide as she did with the tricky doors in the Palace of Dust and escape whatever trap may be waiting.  

She asks forgiveness because she will break Dothraki custom and refuse to go to Vaes Dothrak.  The price is their son, Rhaego.  No sacrifice is greater than one's own child.  The price for the three dragons.  

She command the dragon eggs be brought to her and put into the middle of the wood pile.  

"The first star was a comet, burning red.  Bloodred; fire red; the dragon's tail. She could not have asked for a stronger sign."

Dany starts the fire and walks into the flames.  The first egg cracks and the shells roll to her feet.  Viserion.  The second egg also opens.  I expect this is Rhaegal.  The third crack was louder and more forceful.  Drogon.

The prophecy comes true.  Dany Azor Ahai brought back the dragons.  Very like the Arthurian legend of the true and the deserving pulling the sword from the stone.  She pulled dragons from stones.

I wouldn't doubt if Dany has the same magic as did Daenys the Dreamer.  Dany is very smart.  She must have suspected all along on the long journey to Vaes Dothrak that she has a destiny beyond the khalasars but sort of ignored it because she found a home with the Dothraki.  The way the Dothraki laid the firewoods has been done thousands of times but the magic was the red comet and Dany herself. 

On 4/28/2024 at 7:08 PM, Sydney Mae said:

I feel like the Red Comet has not been discussed enough.  How she knew it was the sign meant for her was wonderful magic.  I go back to this possibility that Dany inherited the gift of "dreaming" from her ancestor, Daenys.  Other personalities saw the comet and thought it was theirs but turns out it wasn't.