Erikson's Reaper's Gale book review

pat5150

I ordered my copy from Amazon UK, and live in the States...my book shipped out on the 7th and is slated to get here on the 15th, so it takes about a week. If you order it now, you probably should be able to get it well before your flight.

I'd say so Brahm, as long as the book is in stock. When I order from amazon.uk I usually get my books within a week. I am in America tho, not sure how that changes things.

I am also from the US. I have only ordered from Amazon.co.uk a couple of times - but the orders did seem to come in fairly soon. In fact, that one time I ordered from both the UK Amazon and the American Amazon on the same day and the UK shipment arrived first! :o

Amazon.com packs books the same way nowadays. The last hardcover I ordered from them arrived with the entire bottom of the cardboard wrapper ripped off and the book itself a little water damaged on that end.

I've had pretty good luck with Amazon.com orders, provided they get here at all (kind of wondering about where the Buffy box set has gotten to...) Always thought they tended to pack things quite securely.

Something I should have mentioned - amazon.uk does NOT pack their books well AT ALL. I ordered TBH and it was stuck in a box, no padding and mailed overseas. Naturally the cover got all beat up and ripped. I contacted them and they sent me another - packed the same way. :P

I will be ordering the TB - it pisses me off less when a paperback gets beat up. :P

Your books were probably already damaged before the shipping company got the package.

In a cost cutting exercise Amazon.co.uk has started to use trained Orangutans to pack it's books, being expert climbers they are able to reach copies on the highest shelves of the warehouse without bothering with ladders. Unfortunately it is pretty hard to explain to an ape the concept of handling a book with care; as a result they tend to get completely wrecked on the way to the box.

That's the only explanation for why every second package I order from them contains books that need to be returned because of damage. It also explains the presence of large dirty fingerprints and the faint smell of bananas on each copy.

Somewhere in Unseen University, the Librarian is complaining at your blatant speciesism :P

I'm only really in trouble if I call him a monkey, damage a book in his presence or try to turn him back into a human. He'll forgive just about anything else. ;)

Word from the RG readers is that there are a couple of resurrections again. Seems odd that Erikson won't even adhere to his own statements, since he specifically said pre-Bonehunters that there would only be one more resurrection, and that that would be "the big one".

Guess not. I mention this because the array of resurrected characters in Erikson's world makes you care a lot less when someone dies, as he could always be brought back. A bother that unnecessarily further depreciates the series' quality.

There's only one "true" resurrection. . . :)

The other one, as far as I'm concerned, has more to do with Ascending than anything else. . .

Patrick

Woooo, should be getting the book from May 21st-24th. Can't wait. Though I'm dissapointed to hear there are resurrections.. I took Pat's review to mean that people actually die and aren't back two pages later... One area where Erikson really loses points.

Woooo, should be getting the book from May 21st-24th. Can't wait. Though I'm dissapointed to hear there are resurrections.. I took Pat's review to mean that people actually die and aren't back two pages later... One area where Erikson really loses points.

No worries, there should be more than enough corpses to satisfy you! ;)

Patrick

From the spoilers I read it had little to do with the big deaths in this book. It had more to do with a death from a previous book. Like Pat said, there are plenty of actual deaths in this book to satisfy our bloodthirsty nature I think. And given what Erikson has said about ascending in that it happens when someone pays and pays dearly (aka karmic reward for suffering) plus examples from previous books we know death is a doorway to ascendancy in some cases.

In Canada, and I just got my book shipped over from the UK, picked it up from the post office today. So far it's pretty good, though there's more exposition than I remember. And I keep comparing it to Wizard's First Rule, the last fantasy book I read. It's like he took everything Tairy did, and turned it so it is actually good and contributing more to the plot than violent titilation.

My one complaint - what's with the dustjacket? I get that it's Rhulad, but why does there appear to be coins stuck to his fingers? Like, not one coin per finger, but one coin stuck to multiple fingers? I don't care how well it's burned on there, it'd fall off.

Still leagues better than the US covers, which suck balls.

For the most part I don't have a problem with Erikson's resurrections (FWIW, I'm about a 1/3 of the way into Bonehunters). Erikson's mythology makes it plausible to begin with and he establishes the possibility early in the first book. Hell, a good portion of Midnight Tides' plot concerns why people continue on after death. And, so far, I don't think he's abused it with one possible exception which was Duiker and the abuse there was more in the nature of the resurrection (magic vial was way too cheesy). Almost all of the characters who have come back are clearly changed by the experience, often to the point where they are unrecognizable from what they were before.

Plus he kills off so many characters that those he's brought back end up being a tiny fraction that deaths still retain plenty of impact for me.

Archived