September Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

Well you all know what to do.

So I'll get it started: I'm still working on Ragamuffin by Tobias Buckell. It's a loose follow-up to Crystal Rain. The focus of this book is completely different from that of Crystal Rain, and I'm liking what Buckell is doing very much. He's definitely building an interesting and complex universe.

This month I plan on reading:

Midnight Tides by Erikson

Mr. Punch by Gaiman

The Crooked Letter by Sean Williams

The Shotgun Rule by Charlie Huston

and if I have time I'll start Bonehunters by Erikson

I'm re-reading Watership Down by Richard Adams at the moment. Fantastic book. Loved it when I read it some 6-7 years back, inspired by the recent thread on this board. The copy is so beat up, though. The pages are yellowed, the cover is torn and has dog-eared corners, and the back cover is gone completely. If it were my copy it would be in much better condition. Ah well.

My reading queue...

A Crown of Swords - Robert Jordan

The Crippled Angel - Sara Douglass

Dune - Frank Herbert

More on those later.

Finished yesterday The Terror by Dan Simmon.

Good book. A bit depressing, but very realistic with a quite odd ending but I like it.

Now back to a more positive stuff - fantasy :)

I started to read HP for the first time.

Only one chapter so far but my first impression is very positive. Easy going and entertaining. I like her style so far :)

Went to a couple bookstores on Thursday to find A Betrayal in Winter, but they didn't have it. I ended up picking up

Lord of Light, Zelazny, (I'm about done with Zelazny, and enjoying it so far)

Neuromancer, Gibson,

and The Road, McCarthy

while I wait for ABiW to arrive from Amazon.

Working on The Count of Monte Cristo. Read it and loved it some years ago and am enjoying the re-read, although I have precious little time to spend reading.

Concurrently reading Thomas Jefferson, a biography by Bernstein. I'm on a project to read biographies of all the U.S. Presidents. Washington and Adams were fascinating, and I'm really excited to work my way through them, but time is an issue. It could take me a while!

Finishing up Rose of the Prophet and then heading on to Before they are hanged.

Hi. Seconding a request for your thoughts and opinions on Rose of the Prophet. I confess I am a Weis & Hickman fanboy but this is one series I never got around to. I know I would've loved it at 13, but at 31? Is it good light reading?

Finished reading Storm Front by Jim Butcher friday (my review), but the board was down most of the time so I could not post anything. Overall is was not mindblowing, but a fun and entertaining read. I especially liked Mister (Harry's cat) and Bob (the air spirit in the skull) who were hilarious at times. It is actually these details and some of the remarks that make the book so much fun. The characterisation I found, was lacking somewhat; apart from Harry most of the characters seemed 'flat' and lifeless. All in all, it was the kind of book that you can easily squeeze in between a daytime job and other activities. I rated it 7/10 for what's worth.

Now I am moving on to Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley. I am really curious whether I will like it or not, I read some very positive reviews and some less positive reviews so we'll see. Mixed feelings all around, now I will add my own two cents I guess.

Been reading a lot lately.

The Virtu -- Sarah Monette

RSURS -- Lynch

Nightrunners Trilogy -- Lynn Flewelling

Brasyl -- Ian McDonald

Thirteen -- Richard Morgan

Memories of Ice -- Steven Erikson

Expiration Date -- Tim Powers

Right now I'm finishing Breakaway by Joel Shepard. It's basically an action flick in book form. Next up: Declare by Tim Powers and finish Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Currently reading Dorothy Dunnett's The Spring of the Ram, after completing Sarah Monette's The Mirador. I think, probably, I'll try Rothfuss next (I picked up a a little promotional chap book with the first couple of chapters, read it, and was intrigued), unless Lynch's RSURS finally arrives (yes, I've been remiss).

Archived