footie footie footie with the feet #2

Teng Ai Hui

EPL: English Premier League

CL: Champions League

Yeah, but your previous post says that Milan always does well in the EPL. :P

I'm still not sold on Alex over Carvalho. He is an absolute rock in the back, and I certainly think he'll be back in the first 11 once healthy. But then, my viewing sample size is far lower with Alex.

Apparently the Portsmouth manager got arrested for corruption today; bit odd, that.

The good news is Amdy Faye got arrested as well. Reports are Rangers fans who have seen him play this season threw a street party after the raids.

While I am amused that Barcelona has converted Gudjonsson (sp?) from a striker into a midfielder, Barcelona don't lack from nice skillful midfielders either, who also aren't afraid to do the ugly work. Xavi, Iniesta and that Portugesse guy. :P

Yeah, but last time I checked even Barcelona could only field 11 players and yes referee will count Thierry henry as well. So if they put TH in somebody will have to come out of the midfield. Putting those 4 in front makes them play with 3 midfielders and 3 defenders which seems a bit unbalanced to me. Way unbalanced. And consider that their defense right now is looking incapable. Atlético de Madrid probably has a worse defense, but probably has a better more dynamic attack as well (OTOH Atlético does have not one but two real pure wingers)

About other things, all I will say is that some old geezer of Milan recently said Pirlo was a better player than Kaká. Well, I can see the point actually - otoh pirlo is also older and with age theoretically cames more steadiness.

Skynews has sent a news team to Portugal to hang around Mourinho - he has refused to comment, but it seemed like curt dismissal rather than flirt. He said he is not 100% happy because football is missing, but if he took England the next real game would be a year from now, it would probably drive him crazy. Also if he wanted a national team to coach, the one he has always said he wanted will likely be available next July. Hmm, dunno. His agent has supposedly been in negotiations in Spain, not just Barça but apparently Schuster is not giving the real madrid fans all they expected.

Jon, any chance Diego not playing helped them to take it out of their minds?

About Torres and Spain, ah good question, Loras will know for sure. I think problem there is Torres while being very good was perhaps expected too much of too soon. And he never ( or not yet) really took control of a game, he had great games and at least a hat trick (with a dodgily scored penalty) for Spain but on low level games against weak opposition, also looked hopeless a number of times particularly when it really really mattered. David Villa was and is looking more impressive in the league ( his last two seasons for Atlético were horrible. and the whole taking penalty things is just unbelievable. why?!? why insist?!? ) and they got a bunch of other young players. Torres´s has lots of skill, speed, can head a ball, but the main flaw there ( IMO. don´t hit me) is perhaps the nerve, the ability to pick up a team. Moving to Liverpool is probably excellent for him ( and Liverpool and mostly Atlético), he won´t be the star, and it gives him a chance to mature a bit more with some shelter from expectations being centred on other players. He finally got a nomination for one of those awards even ( not that he deserved it above Zlatan for example, IMO)

Milan performs subpar year after year but always does well in the EPL.

Inter and Fehnerbahce goes through. Inter is a major candidate to win the EPL this year.

EPL: English Premier League

CL: Champions League

:P

Squiddly, you are a bit schizophrenic no? I know, coefficients and all that.

And on other news, Paddy, Carlos Queirós has managed to be incredibly bitchy in a classy way about Sporting´s president who was whining about CQ admitted they were following (among others, including 4 Porto players and 2 Sporting ones) Miguel Veloso, I loved the dig that "after a certain hour of the day, one should not take seriously what Sporting´s president says" ( presumably calling him a drunk. I heard that one before as well). To be completely honest, I do not quite see that it would be money well spent for you, but of the names CQ said they were following the one name which made me perk my ears and go ohhhhh-now-that-is-a-good-idea was Bosingwa. Porto player, a right defender ( who I think is one of your weak points, no?), can cover central positions, portuguese and a youth team regular, is now maybe 25/26 years old, tall and strong though not as huge as most central defenders. Take him away now please, preferrably before next sunday ;) Not cheap though, Porto does not sell cheap players they got a use for - and price will likely increase with time because Scolari will very likely use him, specially with our luck with injuries and the regular defense now approaching their 30s. I don´t think Porto would be very willing to sell him, they made tons of money this summer ( Pepe, Anderson, even Hugo Almeida) and bought hardly anybody.

And rumors have it ( same rumors which had it Buffon won it last year) that the voting for the Ballon d´Or is by order: kaká, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba, Pirlo. Very nice about Pirlo if true!

Jon, I am being good for you guys, please make sure you return the favor for the last round

I'll do my best, though if you do qualify for the UEFA Cup you'll likely have to contend with Bayern as Lisbon seems to be their favourite destination this season. Though if you think you can take down the evil empire, be my guest. ;)

Jon, any chance Diego not playing helped them to take it out of their minds?

I sure hope so. Also, yesterday Real looked more in need of an efficient defensive midfielder than a playmaker.

And rumors have it ( same rumors which had it Buffon won it last year) that the voting for the Ballon d´Or is by order: kaká, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba, Pirlo. Very nice about Pirlo if true!

I read a few days ago that Kaká had won it. While Milan did win the Champions League, I thought that individually both Ronaldo and Drogba had much more outstanding seasons than him.

I'll do my best, though if you do qualify for the UEFA Cup you'll likely have to contend with Bayern as Lisbon seems to be their favourite destination this season. Though if you think you can take down the evil empire, be my guest. ;)

Right now, I would take it. And try also this weekend, please? it´s the superclássico, ouch ( we should warn foreigners of said risks of travelling between Lisbon and Porto in such days. Trains are to forget, and they close all the highway gas stations).

I sure hope so. Also, yesterday Real looked more in need of an efficient defensive midfielder than a playmaker.

There are rumors of them really wanting Miguel Veloso - and offering quite a bit of money. But not sure if he is not too imature right now for them and if it would be good for him. Real madrid is a catastrophically bad place for young players to mature. Any promissing 20 year old is the second coming of Pelé ( but improved) the moment is has a couple unimpressive matches it´s crap and useless and they need more new "signings". Higuain, Gago, Soldado, Marcelo, Drenthe, Balboa, they all look very frustrated and frustrating there.

I read a few days ago that Kaká had won it. While Milan did win the Champions League, I thought that individually both Ronaldo and Drogba had much more outstanding seasons than him.

Me too. And for me the Cl campaign was masterminded by Seedorf. Pirlo is probably Milan´s most crucial player. And the Serie A campaign last season and this season, I am sorry but for best player in the world , something a bit more is expected ( at least by me). Not playing for Brasil in Copa América and when playing (against Portugal for example, or England) not really being the best player on the pitch even. He is brilliant. But if he really was the best in the world last season, then football is really suffering from a hangover, some other year´s greats were greater. Thing is, was this even his best season? And I do think he still has not found his feet to be Brasil´s real number 10. OTOH, there is the famous Ballon d Or curse (probably related to journalists being sort of sheep like and taking a long time to really *see* by which time conditions have changed) and he seems to be sort of under it already. Yes, I am being mean, maybe not. I think he will really win it by a landslide. I just think was he really *that* good compared to other year´s greats and other people? And people like Totti or Zlatan not even being on the serious running, come on...

Nah. But I live with one. Neither of us would yield TV rights so we had to watch the first half in split screen. Since the Chelsea match was over by half-time I got to watch the second half in full screen.

Ah. Actually Liverpool seem to be following Chelsea's karmic path, a few months behind. Next thing some obscure Latvian coach, with links to American corporate interests, will be appointed to the backroom staff and Rafa'll have to watch out.

eta - Watched the spurs game tonight. Now that's an example of inspirational management - Spurs trailing and looking sorry for themselves. Ramos looks furious. They come out after half time and absolutely turn the game around. Ramos still looks furious. i think it's his default expression. After Berbatov scored in the 47th minute, Ramos was physically pushing him back on to the pitch so they could restart the game.

Dear Lord!!

What an awful match yesterday!

Worst game I've seen so far from Ramos. He looked exhausted. I tell you, this lad is already the heir of Stielike, Hierro or Camacho in the club. Amazing, I have nothing but admiration for him.

One positive thing, is that Robinho seems to be delivering lately. He will never become a "galactico" and fill up those shoes (you all know which ones. Man, its amazing the empty he left... you can feel it in the stands at the Bernabeu) he was meant to fill, but he seems to be making progress lately.

Metzelder was a pain in the arse, Diarra awful, RVN missed what he never had... Dreadful.

Kudos for Werder Bremen though. With an emergency XI they played some good footie. Congrats.

By the way, I'm soryr about Benfica T... still that was a sweet goal, now wasn't it?

Okay, about Torres. Yes, I partly agree with Teresa. The day Torres delivers all he promises he will be a new Van Basten. Problem is, I don't think he will ever be it. He lacks things in his game, not technical though, just tactical. For starters, nobody has taught him how to find an open space, or how to look for the far post when receiving a cross... stuff like that. Let's hope Rafa teaches him a thing or two. Still, he has the potential to become a phenomenon.

I like Bojan though... I've seen a few things on him that appeal to me. Let's just give him some time to mature and grow up, and let's see if injuries respect him. Perhaps I am an too optimistic, but we have an ongoing generation of players under or around 21 with a lot of potential: Ramos, Iniesta, Torres, Fabregas, Bojan Krkic... who knows, perhaps some WC potential? :/

Not much hopes though.

Damn, I lost my earlier post. Anyhow, to summarise. I'm not surprised that Kaka is in line for most World football awards this year. In a non-WC/European Championship year, the CL is always going to get the biggest attention and with Milan winning, a player from that team was going to have a big chance. And that's why Pirlo is also on Teresa's list. So Ronaldo and Drogba may have done well but they didn't get to the CL final.

I also had a look at Torres stats during the European qualifiers. He did pretty well during the WC but he only played 7 games in the Europeans, scoring twice. Villa played 12 and scored 7 times. So its clear who has been shining for Spain. OTOH, I think Torres was injured for the last few Spain games. He wasn't even on the sub bench anyhow. So surely...

Perhaps I am an too optimistic, but we have an ongoing generation of players under or around 21 with a lot of potential: Ramos, Iniesta, Torres, Fabregas, Bojan Krkic... who knows, perhaps some WC potential?

Just a touch of optimism Loras. :P Although, you notably didn't mention the European Championship.

Putting those 4 in front makes them play with 3 midfielders and 3 defenders which seems a bit unbalanced to me.

Right. Can't ever expect all 4 to feature at the same time. Just as well Eto'o is injured really.

And yes, moving to Real when young is career suicide for most players it seems.

Worst game I've seen so far from Ramos. He looked exhausted. I tell you, this lad is already the heir of Stielike, Hierro or Camacho in the club. Amazing, I have nothing but admiration for him.

You know, I have never seen, or remember seeing camacho play! I will try to find it on youtube. ( btw good luck for monday, if I got any vibes sending powers, you got all of them for monday. But they are not available for football purposes! Or non benfica non-portugal football purposes at least.

One positive thing, is that Robinho seems to be delivering lately. He will never become a "galactico" and fill up those shoes (you all know which ones. Man, its amazing the empty he left... you can feel it in the stands at the Bernabeu) he was meant to fill, but he seems to be making progress lately.

Well, it´s the thing with young players, they make lots of mistakes and are very raw. But think of how many years there is still in front of him, and if he is able to learn he can keep on learning

Metzelder was a pain in the arse, Diarra awful, RVN missed what he never had... .

Pepe? ( and please try to judge it not thinking of money ;) ) He was impressive on his first game for Portugal. Scored one of the most completely ilegal goals (rightly annulled of course) I have ever seen, he jumps on top of the goalkeeper, the ball rebounds on the floor and its his elbow floor and then his hand, hits the floor again and then he kicks it inside. But two fouls on keeper and two handballs, beat that :) At least he did not actually score with HIS hand. But nice try and he was pretty good at his own position.

By the way, I'm soryr about Benfica T... still that was a sweet goal, now wasn't it?

Not sweet enough *sigh* oh well UEFA cup is looking lovely this time of the year. Go on, send us Bayern, we are used to fighting empires of evil....

Okay, about Torres. Yes, I partly agree with Teresa. The day Torres delivers all he promises he will be a new Van Basten. Problem is, I don't think he will ever be it. He lacks things in his game, not technical though, just tactical. For starters, nobody has taught him how to find an open space, or how to look for the far post when receiving a cross... stuff like that. Let's hope Rafa teaches him a thing or two. Still, he has the potential to become a phenomenon.

He looked like an incredibly promising teenager, one of those you look and think he can be the best in the world. Surely Benitez can teach him about tactics. What I noticed is just the obvious, tiny things, that he can be affected by nerves. A tiny silly thing which perhaps is bad of me to hold it as significant, but seeing some of his penalty kicks last season, there was like complete despair on his face and he was just smashing the ball very hard and without really looking ( and it went wide of course). Now , that is worrying, not on itself, lots of players do not take penalty kicks ( but Andrea Pirlo should take them for Milan) but the attitude, the giving up mentally before he even tried it. And benitez and Torres, well remember Wenger and Reyes? Well benitez being spanish might help, and Torres is probably a lot more mature. And I still think some psychological umbrella from too much expectations could be wonderful for him.

I like Bojan though... I've seen a few things on him that appeal to me. Let's just give him some time to mature and grow up, and let's see if injuries respect him. Perhaps I am an too optimistic, but we have an ongoing generation of players under or around 21 with a lot of potential: Ramos, Iniesta, Torres, Fabregas, Bojan Krkic... who knows, perhaps some WC potential? :/

Perhaps not. All those countries ( us also *sniff*) who never won it. But it´s worth taking it seriously and be worth a shot. If things don´t go well, at least one can at least play a lot prettier than everybody else and be the one everybody remembers in 20 years. How many non greeks will be able to name any of the current european champions in say 6 years? ;)

PS - Pod regarding Villa, an interesting thing is that he is older than Torres and only got called to play for Spain a lot later. Torres for example was playing in euro2004 ( he would have been 20) and was expected to be one of the stars of it. Torres got number 9 for the world cup as well. But yeah, probably a bit in disgrace - and regarding their league forms, also.

Archived