footie footie footie with the feet #2

Teng Ai Hui

re: Barca

I think the point when they become unbeatable is if they have all three of the big shots on the pitch and in form. By those I mean Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Messi. Messi is having yet another very good season and I agree that of the many " next Maradona's", he is the most qualified not just in style but in ability. But at this point he has to carry too much weight in the team, with Henry consistently underperforming ( or even being benched in favour of Bojan Krkic) and Ronaldinho still not back to great form, and Eto'o still injured.

The midfield looks good to me, players like Toure, Xavi, Iniesta, Deco, all fine midfielders. Defense is ok but certainly not the best in Europe.

Lyon also looks to have recovered from their poor start to the season. They have a talented squad again, still led by the superb Juninho, and I expect them to deal Rangers the final blow.

Re: Man U

I agree Ronaldo is their best player and has been for a year or two.

I think the point when they become unbeatable is if they have all three of the big shots on the pitch and in form. By those I mean Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Messi.

a return to the past... Eto'o s return will be pretty important but not sure if Ronaldinho is recoverable to this Barcelona. And can they play with Thierry Henry without any real wingers?

Messi is having yet another very good season

To be completely honest, the first matches, particularly the away ones were ahem, not so brilliant. A few penalty goals, a couple regular goals, but a bit fruitless at least when I have really seen. He is getting better as the season is progressing, so who knows maybe another hat-trick against real for Xmas present to all barcelona fans

and I agree that of the many " next Maradona's", he is the most qualified not just in style but in ability. But at this point he has to carry too much weight in the team, with Henry consistently underperforming ( or even being benched in favour of Bojan Krkic) and Ronaldinho still not back to great form, and Eto'o still injured.

Bojan, I was sort of expecting the new Raul or even Fernando Torres and he is so different I was disappointed without any fault of the poor kid! He is very small as well. Really too early to tell yet, I think they are just using him to give him confidence and please fans, he has plenty of time ( but is it just me but anybody thinks Torres was a bit better at 17?). Deco has a few nice things to say about Bojan on his articles for the uefa site.

did you see how Iniesta played ? Because maybe putting Iniesta on the side rather than centrally and give him more freedom to come forward would be a good idea. I am just wondering about it again because he scored didn´t he? I know it´s sound strange, but of their particular set up, maybe Iniesta really is the best choice to play as a sort of a winger and support Henry and let Messi be the number 10 he wants to be...

I know it´s sound strange, but of their particular set up, maybe Iniesta really is the best choice to play as a sort of a winger and support Henry and let Messi be the number 10 he wants to be...

The thing about Barcelona is that Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry must all spend a lot of time attacking from the wings, so they don't have room left for wingers. :P

Iniesta and Xavi both played well. Ronaldinho did nicely when he came on also. The good thing about Messi is that this must be his most non-injured period since he made his breakthrough. That could be responsible for his improvement throughout the season.

I do agree that it will be interesting to see if Argentina rely on Tevez and Messi up front. The Julio Cruz thing was exasperating for many reasons. (The manager was also taking off skillful players like Riquelme etc).

Juninho was very quiet for Lyon yesterday. Only really noticed him at free kicks.

Ah, Pod, nearly forgot, maybe O'Shea is not *that* bad, I was just being mean and exaggerating, it was just a couple bungled things in a couple minutes which had me rolling my eyes.

What Kutz said. When he made his breakthrough, people were thinking that he was following in the path of Moran and McGrath (great Irish Utd defenders) from the 80s. But he didn't. He has also turned into a bit of a Jack of all Trades, which probably didn't help.

btw apparently Ronaldo was dedicating his goal to his mother who is a Sporting fan and sitting with the sporting fans.

:lol: Cute.

I think what makes O'Shea seem worse was how much better he actually was in his breakthrough season. I can't reconcile the player he is now with the player who popped a cheeky shibobo (nutmeg) through Figo's legs.

That kind of regression seems a shame to me, especially as it doesn't seem to be associated with any injury.

Yeah, O'Shea had a fantastic first season, the high-light being that memorable nutmeg of Figo, but he's been a bit average since then.

His benefit is that he's a utility player. He can play as a fullback or a midfielder. He's not good enough to be more than a squad player though, which is a pity, because 2002-2003, he seemed like he could go on to be a star. Also, because he's irish. They've played him at centre back for Ireland, but he's not good enough at that position.

Fletcher fits into this mould too. He has shown a lot of promise at times, but now it just looks like he'll never deliver on that.

What is up with the Scotland job? First Smith quits and now McLeish looks like he is going to Birmingham. McCoist for the job next?

Apparently Birmingham are paying 4 times his last salary. Wtf, the SFA must be pretty miserly as FAs go.

McAllister is the favourite now it seems. It would be kind of ironic if scotland fans welcomed him back after consistently booing him every game he played since missing the euro96 penalty, to the point that he was forced to retire from international football. Also he only ever manged Coventry, for a pretty short time. Billy Davies is similarly meh. Craig Levein is obviously the best candidate but probably also the one least likely to agree.

I've always liked Fletcher and feel he gets a bit of a bum rap for not being brilliant, and for having the same nationality as the manager. I do feel he is an adequate squad player and I still just about have hopes of him developing that bit further into a really good player but he just doesn't quite seem able to.

His case has been hampered by injuries in his developing stage and he now seems a bit lightweight at times.

Having said that, I still think he is miles better than most people give him credit for and reckon he could do really well if given an extended run in the team, even if that team isn't United.

I just despair of Sheasy.

Boy, Werder's injury list is getting longer again: Frings, Wiese, Diego, Almeida and happarently Borowski, too. Looks like Real are going to win the away leg against a German team for only the second time in the club's history. Now there's a useless, if somewhat surprising statistic.;)

The thing about Barcelona is that Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry must all spend a lot of time attacking from the wings, so they don't have room left for wingers.

It works with Etoo, Ronaldinho and Messi, they change places nicely (apart the one foot thing). With Henry ( he did not play did he?) IMo it does work that well - from what I have seen, and admittedly not those many games and they are still adapting. The scariest Henry IMO is when he has Pires/Ljun-whatsitspelled or now with Ribery or Malouda

Iniesta and Xavi both played well. Ronaldinho did nicely when he came on also. The good thing about Messi is that this must be his most non-injured period since he made his breakthrough. That could be responsible for his improvement throughout the season.

could be, and he is getting less rests so a good sign for his physical fitness.

I do agree that it will be interesting to see if Argentina rely on Tevez and Messi up front. The Julio Cruz thing was exasperating for many reasons. (The manager was also taking off skillful players like Riquelme etc).

Seeing the final of Copa America and maybe a few games with Villareal, not sure if that was not a good idea. Riquelme is probably the central point of the whole argentinean team and Loras is so right about his "speed" of operation.

Regarding the cute, maybe not, we do not know what his mother´s reaction would be. But Anderson keep pulling his hand to go dedicate the goal, that was cute. I am getting to like anderson much better now he wears red!

considering O Shea, I was being cranky sort of. utility players who give their all are important - like I mentioned, for practice as well! The old role of not-good but practices so hard he makes everybody else work harder in practice sounds like something Barcelona really needs right now!

ouch, sorry Jon, good luck in any case.

:)

Chelsea fan, I assume. Good night for the british teams. Why can't Torres be so handy in the prem? Nail biting in the Celtic game too, injury time deflection. Quite pleased to see it, hopefully there can be two Scottish teams in the next round.

Also, Villa whipped Blackburn at home. Quite surprised at that.

Looks like Harry Redknapp's chance at the England job has gone out the window

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7116823.stm

Five men have been arrested in connection with alleged corruption in football, police have said.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp and chief executive Peter Storrie are among those held on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

I love football.:)

Werder were 1-0 up after 4 minutes, lost another first choice player in Fritz after 5, after 15 minutes Madrid equalised then Sanogo scored a great goal 5 minutes from half-time to make it 2-1. Another good goal by Aaron Hunt made it 3-1 before van Nistelrooy's goal made for an exciting finish. So Bremen won! With most of the first eleven injured or suspended they defeated Real Madrid. Admittedly, Real's defense looked shaky, despite sporting at least three international defenders (not sure I've ever heard of Marcelo though) and two solid defensive midfielders. Bremen could have even made it 4 or 5 goals with a bit of luck. And they can still make it to the knockout stages if they manage to defeat Olympiakos in two weeks. Did I mention I love football?

Schalke also got a good result with their draw in Valencia, victory against Rosenborg in the last game would ensure their progress to the next round.

Looks like nothing has been decided in group A yet, while Celtic and Milan are almost guaranteed to progress from group D, maybe Benfica can beat Donezk to at least secure the UEFA cup spot. I am sure potential oponents would rather travel to Lisbon than the winterly Ukraine.;)

They've played him at centre back for Ireland, but he's not good enough at that position.

Although he'll probably remain there except if McShane gets better.

Apparently Birmingham are paying 4 times his last salary. Wtf, the SFA must be pretty miserly as FAs go.

Or just shows how rich the Premiership is. :P And didn't know they did that to McAllister. Ouch. That's harsh.

Seeing the final of Copa America and maybe a few games with Villareal, not sure if that was not a good idea. Riquelme is probably the central point of the whole argentinean team and Loras is so right about his "speed" of operation.

Well yes, Riquelme is very flawed. But at a decisive moment in a game you don't pull off your playmaker and put on a big lanky striker. Not when you need somebody to control the game.

It works with Etoo, Ronaldinho and Messi, they change places nicely (apart the one foot thing).

But it means that Barcelona can't afford wingers with all of them interacting. Not that its a bad idea. Its just a different style. Henry wasn't playing. But not sure how scary it is with France. Maybe once they spend more time playing together. France haven't done that well so far since the WC.

Chelsea fan, I assume.
Nah. But I live with one. Neither of us would yield TV rights so we had to watch the first half in split screen. Since the Chelsea match was over by half-time I got to watch the second half in full screen.

I see Mr Sky Sports Jamie Redknapp was conspicuous by his absence this evening. ;)

ouch, sorry Jon, good luck in any case.

Jon, I am being good for you guys, please make sure you return the favor for the last round ;) Or maybe we can ask possible opponents to take a vote or have ukraine banned or something?

Pod, I never really understood how on earth Etoo+Henry+Messi+Ronaldinho would work ( and who on earth would do the ugly work round the midfield). But if they do have they should consider trying to adapt a little bit to take advantage of things he can do - he can still a lot ( France with him playing with Ribery and Malouda looked somewhat scary for me. No central midfield so vulnerable but that attack, scary) . Barça probably has no space for real wingers ( and it´s not like they can get them, there are precious few really great ones), but somebody actually willing to pass the ball from the side to Thierry Henry would be pretty nice for T Henry. And possibly Barcelona.

Pod, I never really understood how on earth Etoo+Henry+Messi+Ronaldinho would work ( and who on earth would do the ugly work round the midfield). But if they do have they should consider trying to adapt a little bit to take advantage of things he can do - he can still a lot ( France with him playing with Ribery and Malouda looked somewhat scary for me. No central midfield so vulnerable but that attack, scary) . Barça probably has no space for real wingers ( and it´s not like they can get them, there are precious few really great ones), but somebody actually willing to pass the ball from the side to Thierry Henry would be pretty nice for T Henry. And possibly Barcelona.

While I am amused that Barcelona has converted Gudjonsson (sp?) from a striker into a midfielder, Barcelona don't lack from nice skillful midfielders either, who also aren't afraid to do the ugly work. Xavi, Iniesta and that Portugesse guy. :P But yes, wingers would be a nice option also.

Nah. But I live with one. Neither of us would yield TV rights so we had to watch the first half in split screen.

Heh. Here's to modern technology. :P

Come on the Blues! Good match for Chelsea today, though they completely stopped playing ~the 80th minute for a little. Solid match, though that Alex free kick goal was comical; how did it get through?

Petr Cech is supposed to be coming back soon, and Ballack has put in some play with the second team, so it looks like they will have a bit of a run at as close to full strength they have been in a long while (though not having Carvalho is brutal, but as long as he and Terry are not injured at the same time, one can usually hold the defense down somewhat).

Also, wtf is Valencia playing at? No way should they be firmly at the bottom of this group, right?.

Apparently the Portsmouth manager got arrested for corruption today; bit odd, that.

Finally, I didn't see anything of the Benfica-AC Milan match today; Teresa, how was it? Did Milan play as shit as usual, or did they put up a good struggle?

(though not having Carvalho is brutal, but as long as he and Terry are not injured at the same time, one can usually hold the defense down somewhat).

I don't think Chelsea miss Carvalho, not when you have as good a defender as Alex to replace him. Actually I doubt if Carvalho will get back in the first 11 when he is fit again. Alex and Terry are a very strong duo, and the coach is not going to take off Terry either.

Comments on the matches last night:

Group A:

Liverpool-Porto 4-1

Well-deserved victory for Liverpool. Superb match by Torres, who ha sbeen irregular sofar, but when he's good he's really good. I note he is not in the Spanish national team though, at least not the first 11, Spanish coach not keen on him?

Liverpool should be able to beat Marseille in France and go through along with Porto.

group B:

I'm surprised by Valencia's exit. If you look at that team, with Vicente, Silva, Villa, Joaquin, Morientes, they should really have done much better. I felt they were the better team last night, but just as in the Primera division, the team is not effective.

Also a note on Chelsea, who are on a very strong winning streak this last few weeks. The Premier League is still wide open with them, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool all close together.

Group C:

Madrid very erratic again. Only Robinho played really well. Still, Madrid and Olympiakos will go through here.

Group D:

Milan performs subpar year after year but always does well in the EPL. Celtic goes through as well, good year for Scottish football.

E:

Barca goes through, and I think Lyon will beat Rangers in the decisive match.

F:

Clear no. 1 in this group, Man U by far the best. Roma easily comes second here, strong side as well, just not exceptional like Man U can be.

G:

Inter and Fehnerbahce goes through. Inter is a major candidate to win the EPL this year.

H:

Arsenal and Sevilla ease through here.

I think Carvalho and Terry is a better balanced central pairing.

By EPL you mean Champions League right? ;) I don't think the Milan teams have too much of a shot despite Inter's away kit.

I think this is a good year to top your group, with most of the top tier teams finishing top, and I think arsenal may have missed a trick there.

Archived