NFL V

grozeng

I said I don't recall Shula running up the score against opponents. If he did in 72' then I wouldn't recall that. I was born in 73'.

The Dolphins backup QB (3rd string at the beginning of the season, by then Morrall was starting) threw two long TD passes in the 4th quarter. When the story of Jim Del Gaizo's NFL career is told, well, actually, it pretty much just was.

And yes, while I do remember watching that team, I don't recall that game. I googled.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.... are... are you telling me that scoring a lot of points against inferior opponents ... actually happened BEFORE the 2007 Patriots? By listening to the media, I was under the impression that this was the first time this sort of thing happend!

Obviously, the reaction by fans to the game at the time was fierce; I'm sure Don Shula had to issue an appology of some sorts and he and his team were shamed for all eternity by running up the score against, of all teams, the NE Patriots. Again, Shula has probably been decried as "evil" in many of the media outlets of the day.

Thankfully, there has been no evidence that the Dolphins used any dastardly trick plays. because when the score is 52-0, that's one thing; but hopefully none of them came on a flea-flciker because then that's just pushing it. Decorum, my good sir. Decorum!

I hear that on Shula's bust in Canton, the inscription is filled with praise, but then grows cold when it reads. "Needlessly ran up the score 52-0 against the completely hapless and utterluy overmatched NE Patriots." I even hear that Shula almost didn't make it into the Hall for this.

Always remember the 11th of November... a dark day indeed, one that every TRUE sports fan hangs his head in shame for!!!!

The San Diego papers are reporting that Arizona is probably NOT going to be the site of the Chargers-Texans game. They don't think they can sell enough tickets. If they can't go in San Diego, it appears the site will be Texas Stadium - with the Chargers figuring that they'll sell plenty of tickets AND that at least some Dallas fans who come out will root for LaDanian and against Houston.

The only alternative that makes sense is playing in Reliant Stadium in Houston - they'd sell plenty of tickets but lose all hope of anything but a hostile crowd.

The San Diego papers are reporting that Arizona is probably NOT going to be the site of the Chargers-Texans game. They don't think they can sell enough tickets. If they can't go in San Diego, it appears the site will be Texas Stadium - with the Chargers figuring that they'll sell plenty of tickets AND that at least some Dallas fans who come out will root for LaDanian and against Houston.

The only alternative that makes sense is playing in Reliant Stadium in Houston - they'd sell plenty of tickets but lose all hope of anything but a hostile crowd.

Why can't they play at USC or UCLA? Or even Fresno State? UNLV?

Why can't they play at USC or UCLA? Or even Fresno State? UNLV?

This is a good point. Are Chargers fans more likely to drive to fucking Dallas, or to Pasadena?

There are concerns about the LA area fires as well. And there is a requirement that NFL games be played in a site with access to the hi-def instant replay systems. None of the college venues have them.

Weak. They can't waive that so that the Chargers can have some semblence of a home field? Just weak. To bad the 49ers are at home this week.

They should play in Oakland then.

Bizarre stat of the week:

If Brady and Manning each win this week..they will each simultaneously become the only QBs in history to have beaten all 31 NFL teams. Are they freakin' joined at the hip now, or what? Brady's never beaten the Redskins, Manning's never beaten the Panthers. Favre can join 'em next week if he beats the Chiefs.

I said I don't recall Shula running up the score against opponents. If he did in 72' then I wouldn't recall that. I was born in 73'.

How about the 44-24 game back in 84, the year Marino got the TD record? I really do not know where to find the actual in game statistics.

How about the 44-24 game back in 84, the year Marino got the TD record? I really do not know where to find the actual in game statistics.

1 2 3 4 T

Miami Dolphins 3 13 14 14 44

New England Patriots 3 7 7 7 24

MIA NWE

1st Downs 32 18

Total Yards 552 408

Passing

Yards 316 306

Comp-Att-Int 24-39-1 19-29-0

Yards Per Pass 8.1 10.6

Sacked-Yards Lost 1-7 0-0

Rushing

Yards 236 102

Attempts 37 27

Average 6.4 3.8

Turnovers

Interceptions 1 0

Fumbles-Lost 0-0 1-1

Punting

Punts 1 3

Yards 38 171

Yards Per Punt 38.0 57.0

Penalties

Penalties 6 6

Yards 36 36

Possession

Time of Possession 31:59 28:01

I wouldn't call that running up the score anymore then I would of the Phins/Pats game of last weekend. And I'm on record saying the Pats weren't running up the score. They were winning the game. The Miami loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs in '99, 62-7 is a good example of running up a score. Not 44-24.

I wouldn't call that running up the score anymore then I would of the Phins/Pats game of last weekend. And I'm on record saying the Pats weren't running up the score. They were winning the game. The Miami loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs in '99, 62-7 is a good example of running up a score. Not 44-24.

Ok. That is fine.

At this point, I think both are running up the score, and I am ok with it. I am going the Conan approach to this season...

What is Best in Life?

Crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentations of thier women fans.

Archived