Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Werthead

I'll admit I'm more looking forward to the book after Best Served Cold because it sees a return to the North, but having said that, this all sounds good and I'm definitly buying this in hardcover the moment it comes out. Sounds like we'll have a hell of a story awaiting us again.

• 4 years later...

Well the other LAoK thread was closed due to the size, so I only found this one.

I just finished the 3rd book, and I loved it.

I seriously loved Bayaz and hated Jezal and Glokta.

In the end of the 3rd book, I started to hate Bayaz and I still don't like Glokta.

Jezal has become my favorite character, sadly he is a puppet.

Logen though, he lost his Maker's Sword damn! I was wishing he went into Bloody Nine mode and killed Caulder, Scale, and Dow, but he escaped, still alive I hope.

Anyways, why do people say Logen is still evil? I find him to be a nice guy doing his job, except that Bloody Nine mode basically destroys everything close to him.

Anyways, why do people say Logen is still evil? I find him to be a nice guy doing his job, except that Bloody Nine mode basically destroys everything close to him.

Been a while since I read this book, but IIRC Logen's version of events gets turned on its head when other guys from the north start to mention how much fun he had doing it and how Logen was sorta the one that provoked the conflicts that lead to the rise of the kingship in the north. (Sorry, all the other names are escaping me for the moment.)

Been a while since I read this book, but IIRC Logen's version of events gets turned on its head when other guys from the north start to mention how much fun he had doing it and how Logen was sorta the one that provoked the conflicts that lead to the rise of the kingship in the north. (Sorry, all the other names are escaping me for the moment.)

Yes, Bethod, mentions that everytime he would go for peace, Logen would fuck it up.

Yes, Bethod, mentions that everytime he would go for peace, Logen would fuck it up.

Yeah! Him!

We spend two and a half books hearing about how Logen just wanted to be left alone and Bethod was this evil guy... then when you hear the other side, you start to realize that Logen never was one that could live in peace.

Yeah! Him!

We spend two and a half books hearing about how Logen just wanted to be left alone and Bethod was this evil guy... then when you hear the other side, you start to realize that Logen never was one that could live in peace.

True, but I still root for Logen and his redemption though. Also by the way on the 3 stand alones books, is there a chronological order of reading them?

Read them in order of publication: Best Served Cold, The Heroes, and Red Country.

Yes, the order of publication: Best Served Cold, The Heroes and then Red Country.

Alright, so my problem now is: Do I continue reading Joe's stuff, and finish his 3 standalones or do I move on to LOTR (never read 'em) or some other Author, just to breathe some new air, then come back to the 3 books? Whatcha ya'll say?

Alright, so my problem now is: Do I continue reading Joe's stuff, and finish his 3 standalones or do I move on to LOTR (never read 'em) or some other Author, just to breathe some new air, then come back to the 3 books? Whatcha ya'll say?

If you're not feeling author fatigue thus far, I'd go ahead and read the stand alones. If you start feeling like you're dragging, don't be afraid to read something else.

I like alternating a non-related book and a Abercrombie one, because I don't want to get an Abercrombie overdose. :lol: I don't want to get tired of his style, which I love, by reading all of his books at once. So after The Heroes, I'll take up something else, then move on to Red Country. I'd suggest reading some other author, but it's just my opinion.

I like alternating a non-related book and a Abercrombie one, because I don't want to get an Abercrombie overdose. :lol: I don't want to get tired of his style, which I love, by reading all of his books at once. So after The Heroes, I'll take up something else, then move on to Red Country. I'd suggest reading some other author, but it's just my opinion.

Also, I forgot to take into account that if I read all three standalones, then I wont have any material from Joe to read for a long while.

I generally give a gap after completing a trilogy. Waiting for it to sink in, I guess. I read BSC a month after First Law but am yet to read The Heroes or Red Country. I think its the fact that there isn't another Abercrombie book till 2014 that is delaying me. Better to spread them out instead of reading all three one after the other.

It was never really explained how Bethod was able to ally himself with the Shanka, how he got a hold of Feared, and where the hell did that witch come out from?

I felt it was sort of good that it wasn't explained, among with other things. Just like the way that Bayaz uses magic and the way the spirits come and go, it seems mysterious. The characters don't know, they just think its spooky all round, so the reader thinks the same.

But Bethod's alliance with the Shanka might have had something to do with that witch of his. The one with the golden chains that smoked the battlefield during BTAH. She could have turned the Feared from an ordinary man into a tank.

Also, there are probably giants far up north, along with the hillmen. Somewhere at least, Tul Duru/The Feared.

Hell, none of those comments I made probably explained anything, I just love Joe's books to pieces.

Archived