Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Werthead

I stopped by Barnes and Noble on a whim yesterday and saw that they had LAoK in stock. I was unaware that the PYR version of the book was out. I had cancelled my order on Amazon a while back when I heard that the Gollancz version wouldn't look quite the same on my shelf (yes... OCD at work there).

I had just started another book, so I probably won't be able to get to this for a couple more weeks, but I'm excited that I'll finally be able to read through the other thread that is marked "terrible, awful brain-melting spoilers that will rot your soul" or some such.

Thanks for the map. I didn't realize that the Northlands and the Old Empire were a single land mass. How did I miss that?

I've been pretty much clueless about the general layout as a whole... so I can't say as it surprises me! That does certainly put some things in perspective for me though.

All three books came out in bookstores a month before there scheduled release date. Refreshing.

I pre-ordered mine and was shocked (pleasantly) when the delivery guy showed up with it late last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just need to bubble up and explode in the "I love it, I love it, I love it!" kindda post. I started the first book a few days ago, made it to about the middle of the scond book right now, and will be getting the third as soon as I finish the second! Really interesting setting, likable characters, lots of humor, enjoyement all around!

• 1 month later...
Joe possessed by the spirit of the Bloody Nine.

Seriously, that was either exceptionally stupid or reasonably cool. Or both. But I don't think people would blame him for his reaction. Behold the Bannister of Dhoom!

Clearly my vocabulary is a little off... just what exactly is a Banister? I keep imagining Joe beating some pre-pubescent boy with the railing from the stairs at my house! :D

Clearly my vocabulary is a little off... just what exactly is a Banister? I keep imagining Joe beating some pre-pubescent boy with the railing from the stairs at my house! :D

That's pretty much what he was doing. You'd better check it's still there.

That article made me smirk. Hehe.

Good for you, Joe! Although with the depressing nature of your books, I was expecting the police to arrest you and have the main bully be the son of the commissary or something. :-D

While we are chatting about adult men and violence toward bullying teenagers, I have a much less awesome story. I was walking down my street in Chicago last summer, saw a 13-ish kid with his knees on a girl who was lying on the sidewalk and crying. I walked up and kindly picked the kid up and tossed him into the nearby fence. As a completely non-violent person, I was impressed at how light he felt - like tossing a foldup chair perhaps - once my testosterone informed me to protect the little lady. I told her to kick her assailant in his nether regions next time, and not let boys push her around. I'm almost certain it was her big brother. Seeing him take off down the street made it worth it to me, plus the sniffling shy smile she gave me.

Now if only it had been a big burly robber, the girl had a been a stunningly beautiful 20-something - then I'd be set for life. Or at least, two embarassingly bad dates and a "Thanks again, don't call me, I'll call you."

I think most people have had an incident like that, where you have a brainsnap and only afterwards do you realise "Did I really just terrorize a bunch of 14 year old kids?" In fact, I remember being on the reverse end of it as well, when I was a young hoodlum. It's a valuable life lesson that some people are not to be fucked with.

Joe posted a new synopsis for Best Served Cold on his blog:

Springtime in Styria. And that means war.

There have been nineteen years of blood. The ruthless Grand Duke Orso is locked in a vicious struggle with the squabbling League of Eight, and between them they have bled the land white. While armies march, heads roll and cities burn, behind the scenes bankers, priests and older, darker powers play a deadly game to choose who will be king.

War may be hell but for Monza Murcatto, the Snake of Talins, the most feared and famous mercenary in Duke Orso's employ, it's a damn good way of making money too. Her victories have made her popular - a shade too popular for her employer's taste. Betrayed, thrown down a mountain and left for dead, Murcatto's reward is a broken body and a burning hunger for vengeance. Whatever the cost, seven men must die.

Her allies include Styria's least reliable drunkard, Styria's most treacherous poisoner, a mass-murderer obsessed with numbers and a Northman who just wants to do the right thing. Her enemies number the better half of the nation. And that's all before the most dangerous man in the world is dispatched to hunt her down and finish the job Duke Orso started...

Springtime in Styria. And that means revenge.

Yeah, sounds like him. I wondered about the Northman as well. Dogman? Shivers?

The 'just wants to do the right thing' description does make me think of the Dogman, but it could just as easily be a Northman we haven't met yet. One thing's for sure, with that description it's definitely not going to be Black Dow.

Logen, back from the dead?

Hopefully not, although I would quite like to see The Bloody Nine again sometime I'd prefer it to be in a book where he is a main character rather than a sidekick like the Northman in Best Served Cold seems to be.

Archived