What We Are Reading in February

Werthead

Finished "Going Postal" and "Making Money" by Pratchett. I had pretty low expectations, since the last Discworld novel I read ("Jingo" I think) was pretty meh. I really loved both tho, and Moist van Lipwig is an excellent character.

I also managed to do an almost "one shot" with Jane Austen's "Persuasion" ("one-shot", i.e. finishing all in one go :P ) due to some severe train delays the other day.

Currently, I am about to start a re-read on de Beauvoir's "The Second Sex".

Finished "Going Postal" and "Making Money" by Pratchett. I had pretty low expectations, since the last Discworld novel I read ("Jingo" I think) was pretty meh. I really loved both tho, and Moist van Lipwig is an excellent character.

I also managed to do an almost "one shot" with Jane Austen's "Persuasion" ("one-shot", i.e. finishing all in one go :P ) due to some severe train delays the other day.

Currently, I am about to start a re-read on de Beauvoir's "The Second Sex".

Still on PSS. I like it but the number of unknown English words is astonishing. I have not read a book like that for 7 years at least. The list of unknown words has reached 170 and I am only 1/2 through the book. Normally, with a few exceptions (Sci-Fi) I don't need dictionary at all when reading Fantasy.

Finished Boy's Life by Robert McCammon. If you've had this one sitting on your shelf for 15 years like I did, pick it up already. Highly recommended. Chocked full of mysteries, monsters, ghost cars, prostitutes, baseball, dinosaurs, sentient bicycles, moonshining hillbilly mobsters, schoolyard brawls and nazis. What more could you want?

Just finished Before They Are Hanged. It was so good that I'm kind of feeling bereft that I don't have it to read anymore. I am thinking of picking up Winterbirth again (for the 3rd time). For some reason, I just can't get into it, but maybe 3rd time is the charm. I might jump out of genre for awhile. I have a history of the Silk Road that looks decent.

I'm starting the month with The Name of the Wind which I'm only about 50 pages into and continuing on with The Terror which I'm about half way through and enjoying so far.

Sitting on the shelf waiting to be read next I have the first half of The Reality Dysfunction by Hamilton.

Finished Iain Banks Player of Games earlier and thought it was very good. It was the second Culture book I've read after Consider Phleabus and I actually think I would have been better off reading this first as it was a bit easier to get in to. Started reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett now.

Built to Last - great business book on "visionary" companies. Basically the best companies of the last 150 years. It shows how they are different as A+ companies from the A and A- companies.

Wildcards Vol 1 - I find it to be a bunch of short stories only remotely connected. I like some of the stories alot. Sort of meh with others. I want to get to my first "mosaic" novel.

Agincourt - It was very interesting when it went into the buildup to the campaign in terms of entreaties and diplomacy. Then it got bogged down in lists for awhile. Now I'm starting the actual campaign so it should get good again.

AFFC - doing a slow re-read.

I finished The Warrior Prophet and I'm going to read The Thousanfold Thought next. I have to say, this book had me a lot more involved and interested than the first one in the series. I wish Bakker hadn't gone overboard with the weird names though, it makes it hard to follow at times. I've had to double back a couple of times, just to make sure.

I'm not sure whether I like Kellhus or hate him..

Just started The Blade Itself. Will probably pick up White Knight (The latest Dresden Files book) next Tuesday when it comes out in paperback. Also have Winterbirth on the shelf ready to read. Read the first Codex Alera book last month and need to pick up the second one. That's my plans for the month, we'll see how it works out :)

Just finished Inside Straight by Martin. I have not touched the Wild Cards series since the first two back in the late 80's. I don't remember liking them as much as this last one. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe because it was a "mosiac novel" and not a bunch of short stories. I am going to have to track down some of the others.

Currently reading Acacia by Durham, but put it down to read Black Dossier, the graphic novel by Alan Moore. I loved it! Very cool way to link a bunch of different literary and mythological characters together over a large span of time.

I am going to be picking up The Monsters of Templeton by Groff and The Automatic Detective by Martinez this afternoon. I hope that Martinez' latest is better than The Nameless Witch, which I did not like very much at all.

Just finished Kay Kenyon's Bright of the Sky.

Titus Quinn is a former star pilot now living as a recluse. Most people believe that Quinn lost his mind during an accident, though he swears that the accident transported him to a strange world. He has no memories pertaining to how he was able to return, yet he's convinced that his wife and daughter are still trapped in this parallel universe. When, against all odds, evidence of the existence of this universe is accidentally discovered, Titus Quinn accepts to "scout" this new world for the corporation that abandoned him, secertly hoping to find his missing wife and child. What he unearths, however, threatens the existence of everything he holds dear and forces him to reconsider his plans.

High stakes, skilled worldbuilding, good characterization, adroit pacing: Bright of the Sky is a superior read.

Check the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick

I'm still reading Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company, and the amount of awesomeness so far is almost overwhelming. I'm actually surprised that I'm enjoying it so much since I normally gravitate towards more detailed writing...but Cook really makes this style work here, and the characters are interesting and fun enough for me to latch on.

February also has Bernard Cornwell's Lords of the North & Sword Song and then I'm going to dig into Robin Hobb's Soldier's Son Trilogy. That should fill the month pretty packed for me.

Thrashalla, you and I must be on parallel reading tracks, or nearly so. I just finished Chronicles of the Black Company, and am about to start Lords of the North. After that, though, our paths diverge, as I've got China Mieville's Perdido Street Station slated to follow. I've also got To Infinity and Beyond! The Story of Pixar Animation Studios on my coffee table, which I like to thumb through in bits and drabs.

Archived