Footy Time!

Xray the Enforcer

FA cup final coming up.

Now normally you would put your money on the Premiship club winning, but Portsmouth are going into it on a very poor run of form and Cardiff seems to be having a very good run of form to do with the FA cup.

I reckon its all going to come down to how well the Portsmouth defence performs. Murphy only got the goal on sunday due to them going to sleep for a moment, but apart from that they were rock solid, through I don't see were portsmouth goal would come from.

May - end of the football season

June - Wimbledon, Test matches

July - The Open, more Test matches

August - Olympics, Premier League 08/09 begins

That's it. Don't make me explain this again.

Mormont, so where did the other thread title come from?

Calibandar, Miguel at his best is or was very very good, one of the best in the world (IMO) at his position. We never lost a game that he started and where he was not injured ( we lost the euro final, but he got a few ribs cracked during the match). Problem is, he is getting a bit older, there have been injuries, and Valencia this season, not motivating. In my honest opinion, he was a little bit fat a couple months ago. So Bosingwa might be a bit green in the national team, but might have a good chance to be him starting. Bosingwa can be very good as well. BTW according to a local paper his salary will be two million euros a month at Chelsea, which will probably be below their average but for portuguese clubs ahahah, no bloody way ever. 2 million euros a year. BTW Quaresma has been promised to be "allowed" to move to another club ( a club he finds acceptable, which would probably be the same sort of club Mourinho would find acceptable), with this news it will be harder to keep Quaresma happy playing for Porto another year.

About strikers for Portugal, I don´t see what you see in Hugo Almeida, I am really not convinced, it is just not working, it´s like he comes from a whole different country and is not playing quite the same football as the rest : he is no good at passing the ball quickly to others in those little ball exchanges in the area and it´s like his goals are always the same, header in a physical contest with defenders (Jon? ok, I am exagerating. And there was the uncharacteristic beauty at the San Siro but still..). Helder Postiga has far more things to his football (except kilos and a few cms) all around, problem with him is confidence and getting games. Koudolis, has he been playing? I don´t necessarily think Helder will score than Hugo given the same games , it´s just that I think Portugal plays better and scores more from other sources with Helder there than Hugo. In any case, my faith is in Cristiano, I have been saying for ages he is an underrated threat in the area, though no longer underrated I suppose.

PS- Larsson? I got a weakness for old rockers.. ..

[quote name='cteresa' post='1353718' date='May 13 2008, 20.32']PS- Larsson? I got a weakness for old rockers.. ..[/quote]
Wow. Unexpected indeed. But ignoring Ibrahimovic (who hasn't set Sweden alight), he does fill a gap in the team.

[quote name='Padraig']Wow. Unexpected indeed. But ignoring Ibrahimovic (who hasn't set Sweden alight), he does fill a gap in the team.[/quote]

There is also Rosenberg, who has been one of the better Werder players in the second half of the season and is (much too my surprise) the team's joint top scorer in the league (the other one being Diego, obviously).

RE: Almeida, he isn't half bad (Werder's second best striker this season, in fact), but IMO Portugal doesn't have a top level striker who is strong all around, they all have significant weaknesses and none of them has Pauleta's goalscoring instinct, it seems. But even when he was in his prime, Portugal always seemed to rely heavily on their wingers and midfielders to provide a goal threat.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1353930' date='May 13 2008, 22.11']There is also Rosenberg, who has been one of the better Werder players in the second half of the season and is (much too my surprise) the team's joint top scorer in the league (the other one being Diego, obviously).[/quote]
True. I suppose Larsson is one of those "safe pair of feet", while the rest don't have the experience he brings to the party.

I'd be surprised if Larsson will actually be in the first 11 though. He's 36 and hasn't played a single qualifying match. I think he was brought in for his experience, his morale and position in the group and for substitutions. Because as it is they already have 4 decent strikers in Zlatan ( whose place seems assured), coupled to either Elmander, Rosenberg or Allback.

I hope the Swedes do well, they have an attractive side.

I also saw the Czech rep. will be severely hampered by the loss of Rosicky. Croatia without Eduardo is also a big blow to them, I think this could really effect the performance of those two teams.

The age of the Swedish side makes me a bit concerned. I think the average age is 29, with no player younger than 23. Lots of experience, but ...

Be nice to see Henke on the pitch for Sweden again, though.

[quote name='cteresa' post='1353718' date='May 13 2008, 14.32']About strikers for Portugal, I don´t see what you see in Hugo Almeida, I am really not convinced, it is just not working, it´s like he comes from a whole different country and is not playing quite the same football as the rest : he is no good at passing the ball quickly to others in those little ball exchanges in the area and it´s like his goals are always the same, header in a physical contest with defenders (Jon? ok, I am exagerating. And there was the uncharacteristic beauty at the San Siro but still..). Helder Postiga has far more things to his football (except kilos and a few cms) all around, problem with him is confidence and getting games. Koudolis, has he been playing? I don´t necessarily think Helder will score than Hugo given the same games , it´s just that I think Portugal plays better and scores more from other sources with Helder there than Hugo. In any case, my faith is in Cristiano, I have been saying for ages he is an underrated threat in the area, though no longer underrated I suppose.[/quote]

well , he has played a few matches recently. including one that he had the best perfomance i ve seen him in since he moved here. he left that pitch injured though and he didnt have the chance to get a few matches in a row to build upon his perfomance. from what i have seen of him its like you say. lots of techique and potential but lacks in determination. he can convince you that he is a great striker but that doesnt translates always in goals. on the other hand we also have manucho who looks like he is extremely bored wandering around the pitch and scoring without even trying :lol: that one is too good for us..
the portugal squad looks very uneven to me. you have a good defence , a marvelous midfield but very poor strikers compared to the rest of the team. you have no goalkeeper whatsoever and i still think maniche should be in that team. of course i am somewhat biased as i think maniche could play in any team. he is one of my favorite players in the world.

ps. cali, i think croatia will go well in this tournament. they play very well and without eduardo. Also i see russia to appear very strong for this tournament. Sweden has a few good players but they have never convinced me. I blame the manager(s?) mainly. I dont think they will make it through the group stage. they have a very tough group.

Koudolis, I am pretty much signing in agreement to everything you posted (Apart from obviously judgment on how Panathinaikos players are currently playing). Maniche, I find it impossible to not be biased towards him, at his best, he is incredible and makes any attack tick so much better. I sort of love Maniche. And I would hate if we get play Holland (well, not hate hate, because we can only meet them in the final, and making it to the final would be excellent IMO) without Maniche, just in case :)

Maniche not getting called might have more to do with group dynamics - during qualification we lost in Poland ( and they got an amazingly lucky tie here though that was luck and in Poland no, they earned it), and there are rumors of some pretty stupid going ons the night before that loss involving Maniche. Scolari *cut* with Costinha ( who was one of his favorites and was captain for a few games) and Maniche over it. Costinha is getting older and disappearing from sight, Maniche eventually got a recall for which I was really glad, but if Scolari needs to take into account psychology and mood, for a young renewed team Maniche is really not the rolemodel for older more experienced players you want. Fernando Meira, yeah sure, Maniche, my brain is rebelling at trying to picture it. I used to joke that Scolari wanting Luís Figo around unofficially was to have him trying to control Maniche, it was not totally a joke. Perhaps Scolari decided to not take the risk.

regarding how Portugal plays, to protect my nerves I don´t want to think of goalkeeping weaknesses. I can see why Scolari would play Ricardo, psychology and cup competitions being different. OTOH Quim (yeah yeah, rude word in English I know. run along) is not bad.

Regarding strikers, ok, not good, but not sure if it as big a flaw as that. I can not explain in any words, specially in English, but in my memory, the most crucial position for Portugal has been playmaker, with a truly good playmaker controlling things all our attacking players become a danger. Deco was a marvelous bonus. Let´s see how he is, he was tired in 2006 of a long CL campaign and probably not that motivated. This year, he is getting fit, and very mad at Barcelona, so maybe that can be exploited to really motivate him. ( oh regarding Barcelona, juicy stories. ) Plus striker, Scolari used to say that if he had CR for 30 days he could give him real striker routines - he won´t have 30 days or even close this time. But having seen CR being tested in that position this season, maybe Carlos Queiroz is doing what he can to help Portugal with that :P ( just kidding, Scolari and Queiroz have a sort of a tense relationship due to the fact that well Queiroz is a likely successor, with Ferguson getting into the act sometimes as well. Lately, all very civilized. Though I am worried about Scolari excusing CR from a friendly. If Scolari thinks even one unnecessary game is to be avoided, I am worried, this CL has been long...)

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1354555' date='May 14 2008, 10.12']I also saw the Czech rep. will be severely hampered by the loss of Rosicky. Croatia without Eduardo is also a big blow to them, I think this could really effect the performance of those two teams.[/quote]
Ouch. I wasn't aware that Rosicky was out for the whole tournament. That does suggest that the Czech's have little chance since he was the best player (in a declining team). Losing Eduardo isn't such a huge blow for Croatia I think.

Sweden should do ok but seem to be in decline also, relying more and more on experience. They had some poor results in the last qualifiers. I would have thought that Russia was one of the weaker teams also. Only England's self-destruction ensured they would sneak into the finals.

Portugal are apparently 3rd favourites, which seems reasonable. They could go a long way with their squad but their lack of quality strikers could be the difference between winning the title and not. That story was always the same.

[quote name='Padraig' post='1354696' date='May 14 2008, 14.05']Portugal are apparently 3rd favourites, which seems reasonable. They could go a long way with their squad but their lack of quality strikers could be the difference between winning the title and not. That story was always the same.[/quote]

Such has been your opinion for a long time. Mine, having watched all final tournament phase games in all years started by 2 ( and a few before that) and a lot of the qualifying matches is that Portugal manages very decent goal takes without strikers, specially from that class of players we call avançados and who in translation sometimes get called midfield, sometimes attacking. Definetely keeping Portugal from a title or a major final recently:

- Penalty conceding in minute 120 ( and dubious IMO the ball had been out of play before it hit the hand)
- Dodgy defending of a "stopped ball" ( plus Miguel with broken ribs)
- Penalty conceded for a somewhat subtle touch if any.

So considering our goal averages seem pretty good, the old story from my point of view is conceding penalty kicks. Or letting people ( say greece or Italy) score defendable corners or free kicks. That is the problem.

oh, zomg, I can not quite believe it, but apparently Porto could be forbidden from the Cl next season. The punishment applied to them over trying ( in the cases they were caught) to buy referees was 6 points to be deducted, presumably deducted next season. The deadline for appeal was yesterday, they did not appeal, so they take the punishment. Apparently after the calciopoli mess and Milan being allowed to participate ( and win) in the 2006/2007 CL, UEFA added a rule, paragraph d of rule 1.04 ( I am double checking this)

"it must not have been involved in any activity aimed at arranging or influencing the outcome of a match at national or international level"

this is on the 2007/2008 rules, presumably the 2008/2009 rules will be the same. zomg! :wideeyed: might work... They might argue it was 5 years ago, but might work since it will be the season immediately after they were punished and were punishment will be applied. Since they did not appeal, they admitted guilt.

It´s too little too late, but they getting caught on something, anything is something I have been considering hopeless for so long ..

PS - if they are not going to the CL, we do. Plus some of their players might really really be more willing to leave this summer. Quaresma particularly, everybody has been waiting to see what that happens.

The city centre was infested with Weegies when I was coming home from work. They had to stop the trams because there were "too many pedestrians". Also, the supermarkets had run out of beer.

[quote name='cteresa' post='1354756' date='May 14 2008, 14.39']Such has been your opinion for a long time. Mine, having watched all final tournament phase games in all years started by 2 ( and a few before that) and a lot of the qualifying matches is that Portugal manages very decent goal takes without strikers, specially from that class of players we call avançados and who in translation sometimes get called midfield, sometimes attacking.[/quote]
While I can see where you are coming from, I don't think i'm taking a huge leap of faith by saying that your team would improve with better strikers. :) As you say, Portugal has done very well without them over the last decade but the difference between winning and losing is minute sometimes and better strikers can easily make that difference. You can point at unluckyness/bad defending to explain why they lost (and every team suffers from those at some stage) but it takes goals to win.

But admittedly, you are probably tired of people talking about Portugesse strikers. :P

Archived