The Paul Kearney Thread

ThRiNiDiR

Update and cover art.

Hawkwood and the Kings, the first Monarchies omnibus, will be published in August 2010. Century of the Soldier, the second, will follow in September.

Paul's new novel, Corvus, a self-contained follow-up to The Ten Thousand, will follow at the end of October.

All should be published simultaneously in the UK and USA by Solaris.

• 3 months later...

After skimming this thread I read the first two books in the Sea Beggar's series, although if I had perused the thread more closely I would have realized this is an incomplete series.

I enjoyed them. Some cliched plot but done very well. It's somewhere between ASOIAF and Sharpe, but without the atmospheric excellence of GoT. The short length is a good thing here: no bloat, good pacing.

I plan to pick up this new omnibus of his other series when it's published in August. Pity it's not available now.

I just finished The Ten Thousand a couple nights ago. I found the book to be about 90% effective. And it was the death at the end of the book that took away most of that 10%. Too predictable - he was beginning to remind me of the character Dead Meat from Hot Shots. If it had been the straw-head instead and Jason had to exact a bloody revenge and thus conflict his plans to no longer kill again, that would have been cooler. Your Mileage May Vary.

Kearney's prose is still better than most of his peers and the battle scenes were like nothing else. No wonder Steve Erikson loves the guy; those battles were some of the darkest and brutal stuff in the genre. I also wouldn't have minded a little more fantasy in the mix - I kept waiting for something a little more, I don't know, magical.

• 5 months later...

I've got the Monarchies omnibus volumes on order right now but has there been any movement on getting Sea Beggars moving again?

No. Bantam UK are continuing to be obstructive. Paul wants to finish the series, Solaris want to publish it, the readers want to read it, but Bantam won't let the rights go and they also won't publish the book themselves. The reasons are unclear. I do wonder if Bantam have worldwide rights to the series and because it's doing very well overseas (especially in Spain and Israel, I understand) they want to keep milking it as long as they can without committing to publishing Storm of the Dead themselves.

• 1 month later...

Also the feminists will have a field day with this book - every single women you read about has either been raped, is in very real and imminent danger of getting raped or she's a whore - though the levels of violence are so high that even the pretty men are in very real and imminent danger of getting raped and butchered.

Yeah. I just picked this one up the other day (what can I say, I'm a sucker in a used bookstore for a neat cover and glowing endorsements), but this part is already making me wonder if I really want to keep going or not, if every woman plays such a role, albeit in prose that wavers between gorgeous and outright purple.

Yeah. I just picked this one up the other day (what can I say, I'm a sucker in a used bookstore for a neat cover and glowing endorsements), but this part is already making me wonder if I really want to keep going or not, if every woman plays such a role, albeit in prose that wavers between gorgeous and outright purple.

Hey, war is hell, and Kearney tells it true.

Fact is, this type of shit happened when a marauding army/force/mercenary group ran through somewhere and won. What the fuck do you think 'to the victor go the spoils' means? Stealing someone's art collection? It's great we live in a society where this doesn't happen anymore, but there is some historical accuracy in the telling of it.

And can i just say goddamit to Bantam. I really want the next Sea Beggars novel to come out, and soon. I'll just have to bide my time with Kings of Morning.

Which is the best series to start with by Paul? There seems to be a lot of positive buzz around his new stuff and renewed interest in his older stuff.

Monarchies of God, because it is finished. The Macht series (which starts with The Ten Thousand) is also likely safe to start as the third and final book in the series is out in July.

Hey, war is hell, and Kearney tells it true.

Fact is, this type of shit happened when a marauding army/force/mercenary group ran through somewhere and won. What the fuck do you think 'to the victor go the spoils' means? Stealing someone's art collection? It's great we live in a society where this doesn't happen anymore, but there is some historical accuracy in the telling of it.

Yeah, but if I wanted to read a straight-up historical novel, I would read a fucking straight-up historical novel. In a fantasy world, the ground rules are whatever they are set to be by the author, and authors generally do things in order to make points. This is one case where if the point being made is interesting enough, or there's enough else going on (yes, I have read most of the 'Bakker and women' threads, and benefited a lot from all the argument and his explanations and his apologies), I can deal. If not, and it feels like it's gratuitously edgy and/or misogynist beyond even the historical parallel, I tend to want to spend my time elsewhere.

Yeah, but if I wanted to read a straight-up historical novel, I would read a fucking straight-up historical novel. In a fantasy world, the ground rules are whatever they are set to be by the author, and authors generally do things in order to make points. This is one case where if the point being made is interesting enough, or there's enough else going on (yes, I have read most of the 'Bakker and women' threads, and benefited a lot from all the argument and his explanations and his apologies), I can deal. If not, and it feels like it's gratuitously edgy and/or misogynist beyond even the historical parallel, I tend to want to spend my time elsewhere.

I don't think Kearney's intent is to be misogynist, but rather stay true to the themes of war. To be honest i never got the vibe that he was trying to be 'too edgy', i do however get the vibe that you may be a little 'too sensitive'.

And on that note, have you read the books this board is based on (fantasy books based on historical events, written in a 'historical' way, mass killing, women treated like objects, ect)? Or do your likes lean more towards the sanderson side of things?

Spend you time elsewhere, you might find some recommendations in the 'Craptastic Books' tread.

So trying to explain the horror that is the sack of a city is misogynist? I don't really follow that logic.

Monarchies of God got very dark in a few places, I found a couple sections hard to read, but these happen mostly during small interludes where the author is trying to show the experience of the common man. It felt appropriate to me to counter the more heroic version of war you get from the noble perspective.

I also disagree that every woman in the book either gets raped or is a whore. This is just not true, of the four most prominent female characters I can think of off the top of my head, only one would fit that description and it definitely does not become her defining trait since it happens early in the first book, and mostly off-screen (ok that does not feel like the right terminology for a book but I can't think of anything else).

I can't believe there's gonna be another "author is a mysogynist" discussion. I hope I'm not promoting it by posting in this thread.

What I wanted to write here is that, being halfway into Heretic Kings I find this series quite good. Kearney tends to switch styles a bit throughout the novel so far, but story is interesting and characters feel realistic, although somewhat standard. It does remind me of ASOIAF at moments. Good read.

Still, The Ten Thousand is best of Kearney I read so far.

After finishing Hawkwood and Kings, I must say that I was sufficiently intrigued to continue reading and to postpone planned pause with The Heroes.

But, I must complain that Kearney must have some kinda fetish on physical disabilities. He truly does not treat his characters lightly gently.

EDIT: Wrong choice of words

I just got the first omnibus. If the series is half as good as the other controversial one on the forum i'm in for a treat. A shame the consensus is that book 5 is a bit of a let down but i think to think the finale's disappointment is proportional to how good the precedding volumes are.

I don't think Kearney's intent is to be misogynist, but rather stay true to the themes of war. To be honest i never got the vibe that he was trying to be 'too edgy', i do however get the vibe that you may be a little 'too sensitive'.

And on that note, have you read the books this board is based on (fantasy books based on historical events, written in a 'historical' way, mass killing, women treated like objects, ect)? Or do your likes lean more towards the sanderson side of things?

So trying to explain the horror that is the sack of a city is misogynist? I don't really follow that logic.

My problem with the book wasn't that it was misogynistic at all but rather that it was relentlessly brutal and grim. It's supposedly a fantasy with very very little fantasy, or even humour, to take away from the harsh reality - so what on earth is the point ? With GRRM or hell even Bakker there are other things going on and a secondary world to explore that at least take the edge off.

Like LV said you might as well have read a history book if that's what you want.

I also disagree that every woman in the book either gets raped or is a whore.

I was talking about The Ten Thousand.

Spend you time elsewhere, you might find some recommendations in the 'Craptastic Books' tread.

Oh and can you fuck off with this patronizing bullshit please.

Archived