The Dark Knight part deux

Mexal

Yeah, the fact they then followed it up with Rachel getting killed was a good move. A nice subversion of the usual 'death trap', Sophie's choice like situation. I wasn't expecting that bit, nor was I expecting her letter to Bruce. Kind of bothered me a little. Batman really didn't catch any breaks in this movie.

I kinda expected Rachel to kick the bucket. If there was to be only one major character to die, I expected it to be her. This is probably why the Gordon faux-death caught me by surprise.

I wasn't expecting a 'good guy' death at all. But then I always come into movies without assumption. I liked the Two-Face creation story. Shows that Nolan knows what he's talking about. Though they changed it from acid in the face to an explosion. Still they kept the Joker as its perpetrator!

I was actually expecting the Joker to die at the end, when he fell off the building I was expecting a copy of the Tim Burton ending. Glad they changed that. Off to Arkham with him!

I enjoyed the film immensely, but I'll post what I didn't like about it.

It jumped around too fast (Bruce would be talking to Rachel, then on a rooftop, then in the batcave all within like 30 seconds, like some editor took a chainsaw to the film), the music was way too loud and played over everything, the fight scenes were dark and choppy and way too zoomed in, the plot was utterly implausible (the logistics of Joker's schemes, how he and two face show up everywhere out of thin air), and Batman's voice where he constantly talks like he needs a cough drop and has a stick up his ass.

7/10

That moment with him swinging upside down and talking to Batman was fucking brilliant. I also loved the little touch of him laughing hysterically as he plummeted to his almost-death.

Oh, and the Joker in the nurse outfit--mark my words, it will mark Live Journal avatars for years to come.

It was an extremely good movie. I concur with a lot of the critics who rate it more as a crime drama than a comic book movie. I think the comic book element makes the movie unique, but it's an incredible, substantial film. And it was very, very enjoyable (hugely due to the Joker). When a movie can be dramatically substantial and still have all the cool action and shit blowing up, you know that it's something apart from its peers.

And I too was expecting a death, Rachel's death specifically. She's the only non-canon character. But then came Gordon's "death" and I believed it. I wondered how the hell you can kill Gordon before he becomes a commissioner, but this films tone lets you believe that it's possible.

While Ledger is going to get most of the acting props (far from undeservedly), I thought Aaron Eckhart was great as Harvey Dent/Two Face. I loved how his voice changed a bit--it actually sounded like his nasal cavaty was charred and his cheek was gone.

I really liked Dent's character. That was a fantastic arc. The Two-Face effects almost made me laugh because they look so silly, but I could overlook that because the character was so strong.

Here's another thing: how did this movie getting a PG-13? I think this is a terrific demonstration of how arbitrary the MPAA rating certificates are, because I've certainly seen movies rated R for violence that were considerably less violent than this movie.

Nolan did an awesome job. Can't be emphasized enough.

:bow:

Wow! That was so fantastic. This may be the first movie I'm willing to pay to see in the theater twice in a long time.

They had me thinking that Gordon was dead, too. When he first "died" I didn't believe it, but before he came back I thought, "they really fucking killed him!".

[quote name='dits' post='1445760' date='Jul 18 2008, 08.33']Heath Ledgar was effing brillliant as the Joker. His Joker was psychotic yet oddly charismatic. Couldn't take my eyes off the screen whenever he was on it.[/quote]

And people wonder why he had trouble sleeping. Brilliant performance, but goddamn that had to fuck with his head.

[quote name='The Humble Asskicker' post='1446187' date='Jul 18 2008, 12.22']I really liked Dent's character. That was a fantastic arc. The Two-Face effects almost made me laugh because they look so silly, but I could overlook that because the character was so strong.

Here's another thing: how did this movie getting a PG-13? I think this is a terrific demonstration of how arbitrary the MPAA rating certificates are, because I've certainly seen movies rated R for violence that were considerably less violent than this movie.

Nolan did an awesome job. Can't be emphasized enough.[/quote]

Eckhart was great as Dent, and would have stole the show in any other movie.

I don't pay attention to ratings, but I thought for sure it was rated R when I walked out. There's going to be a lot of 10 year kids with wicked nightmares this weekend because their dad thought they'd be "old enough".

[quote name='Commodore' post='1445661' date='Jul 18 2008, 07.53']I enjoyed the film immensely, but I'll post what I didn't like about it.

It jumped around too fast (Bruce would be talking to Rachel, then on a rooftop, then in the batcave all within like 30 seconds, like some editor took a chainsaw to the film), [b]the music was way too loud and played over everything[/b], the fight scenes were dark and choppy and way too zoomed in, the plot was utterly implausible (the logistics of Joker's schemes, how he and two face show up everywhere out of thin air), and [b]Batman's voice where he constantly talks like he needs a cough drop and has a stick up his ass.[/b]

7/10[/quote]

Those are the only real complaints I had with the movie. The music was especially loud during Gordon's final speech.

[quote name='Mad King Aerys' post='1446244' date='Jul 18 2008, 13.04']"I'm going to make this pencil... disappear!"

Probably one of my favorite Joker moments ever.[/quote]

This (and many other Joker moments) made me howl with laughter. I think I may have laughed a little too loud at the Joker's "magic trick".

Saw it at midnight last night. all 24 auditoriums in the theatre sold out. alas, there were only a handful of costumes.

I also thought it totally ruled. What I thought was so awesome was that everytime I thought 'holy shit, that was so fantastic, it can't get any better then that,' then something even more awesome happened! repeatedly!

some of my fave moments:

- the pencil disappearing
- the Joker as a nurse, with the hand sanitizer - amazing
- the two ferries bit - that was f'ed up
- the joker and batman sitting at a table talking to eachother, at the police station - it was mesmorizing
- the clown masks were super creepy - the hostages as clowns was a twist i didn't see coming
- the 'you complete me' speech
- that whole thing with the snitch who was trying to rat out bruce wayne, and the joker's threat to him live on air

okay, wait, there was just too much crazy awesomeness to even list all my favorite parts. i haven't even been able to digest it all.

for some reason, though, the music didn't bother me, i was pretty floored by the score, actually.

what did you guys think of the trailers, btw? watchmen, anybody?

[quote name='Max the Mostly Mediocre' post='1446321' date='Jul 18 2008, 15.09']Best movie I've seen this year.

And yeah, I fell for the Gordon's dead thing too.[/quote]

Right after Gordon's death, our projector died so we had 20 minutes to stew in agony.

This movie was completely fucking brilliant. Best Batman movie ever and I LOVED the Joker. I was skeptical about Gordon's death because of the trailer but Rachel's death completely caught me off guard. Loved it.

Completely agree that every Joker conversation was mesmerizing, especially that last scene. I loved the Joker needs Batman and Batman needs Joker and the final battle comes down to Dent. The whole damn thing was great. I didn't like that Batman talked in that raspy voice at the end though. It didn't seem necessary for that particular conversation.

Minor quibbles but I also didn't like the sonar stuff, that felt like cheating at first. Dent's death was also a bit undone imo but whatever, the movie was great. His face was cringe worthy.

ETA: 99% chance I see it again within a week (whether or not on the IMAX again is up for debate).

Archived