Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

[quote name='Commodore' post='1609699' date='Dec 4 2008, 19.48']I'm not convinced that including the prologue in the pilot is a good idea, magic and monsters are virtually nonexistent in the first book, why would you want to lead with it?[/quote]

Remember though that it ties in with Eddard Starks first scene, the storyline on the Wall, and Jons eventual battle with a burning wight. I can see them editing it so that it's not literally the first scene, but rather edited in throughout the pilot. But I think it's an essential element.

[quote name='Callum' post='1609690' date='Dec 4 2008, 19.39']I take it then that the pilot will also be the first episode if it goes through to production?[/quote]
It depends. If HBO decides to do some recasting after the pilot is shot, they may need to refilm at least some scenes. Other things could change too, but for a production on this scale I'd be surprised if they were willing to do too much reshooting, if any if they can possibly help it. Often shows change after the pilot, but it maybe be different for something on this scale. You get that on sit-coms a lot, and it happened on Buffy The Vampire Slayer - the role of Willow was recast before the series aired and it happened again on Joss' latest show, "Doll House," so I've heard. Edited by Brudewollen

[quote name='WightMeWorry' post='1609672' date='Dec 5 2008, 00.20']Will the "Others" still be called "Others", or has this usage in other series (LOST) made a name change necessary?[/quote]
Huh. Good question.

[quote]I'm not convinced that including the prologue in the pilot is a good idea, magic and monsters are virtually nonexistent in the first book, why would you want to lead with it?[/quote]
It is essential to the Jon storyline though.

[quote]BTW, I see a perfect Catelyn Stark here...[/quote]
Oh wow. She was fabulous in Studio 60. But then, I loved that show.

[quote name='Padraig' post='1610023' date='Dec 5 2008, 05.35']Oh wow. She was fabulous in Studio 60. But then, I loved that show.[/quote]
I mentioned Peet in the Stark thread only half-jokingly as Catelyn. I've been a big fan of hers since I first saw her in "The Whole Nine Yards," where I thought she nearly stole the show - she really lit up the screen. A few years back I saw her on the stage in New York in a Neil LaBute play, and while I didn't like the play so much, I was very impressed with her performance. Her work in that show was all the more impressive because she took over the role only 2 weeks before it opened when Marisa Tomei bowed out at the last minute for some personal reasons. I actually saw the play in previews which means she had little more than a week or so to prepare for the role by the time I saw her in it (I don't know how anyone can remember lines like that). She's now just about the perfect age to play Catelyn and I think also the right type.

The only question is, would she and David Benioff want to work with someone they are married to on a high pressure production - some people simply don't want to introduce something like that into their personal relationships. Edited by Brudewollen

[quote name='Brudewollen' post='1610126' date='Dec 5 2008, 06.31']I mentioned Peet in the Stark thread only half-jokingly as Catelyn. ...
The only question is, would she and David Benioff want to work with someone they are married to on a high pressure production - some people simply don't want to introduce something like that into their personal relationships.[/quote]
Hmmm... Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen her in a non-comedic role (or at least a light hearted one). Also, has she done period pieces? In my head, she's too modern and too American. I'm not opposed to seeing her cast, as I'm sure they wouldn't do it unless she fit the part, but It'd take me a bit to see her as Catelyn, not Peet.

As for the husband/wife work thing, it might be good for them too since then they'll both be in England. She won't need to look for UK based productions to be near him.

SPOILER: eta
I can totally see her getting into the Un-Cat role, though. Then she'll be forever known as Un-Peet. :)
Edited by Myrddin

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1610294' date='Dec 5 2008, 10.12']Hmmm... Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen her in a non-comedic role (or at least a light hearted one). Also, has she done period pieces? In my head, she's too modern and too American. I'm not opposed to seeing her cast, as I'm sure they wouldn't do it unless she fit the part, but It'd take me a bit to see her as Catelyn, not Peet.

As for the husband/wife work thing, it might be good for them too since then they'll both be in England. She won't need to look for UK based productions to be near him.

SPOILER: eta
I can totally see her getting into the Un-Cat role, though. Then she'll be forever known as Un-Peet. :)
[/quote]
She had a small role in the underrated [i]Changing Lanes[/i] where she delivered a nearly perfect monologue that Ebert said would have justified for her a supporting actress nomination, IIRC. Other non-comedic roles of hers include [i]Identity[/i] (not a great movie, but she was fine), and the new X-Files movie, where she had 3rd billing.

She's an exceptional actress and I've been a fan of hers for a while. Edited by Ser Greguh

Two thumbs up for Benioff and Weiss!!!

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1607351' date='Dec 3 2008, 14.19']For those who would like to send resumes, videos, etc.: we hope to have a casting director in place within the next month. When we do, we'll let you know his/her name and where materials should be sent.

D&D[/quote]

Oh, so someone from here could also be taken for some of the roles? Edited by gunsmith

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1610294' date='Dec 5 2008, 11.12']Hmmm... Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen her in a non-comedic role (or at least a light hearted one). Also, has she done period pieces? In my head, she's too modern and too American. I'm not opposed to seeing her cast, as I'm sure they wouldn't do it unless she fit the part, but It'd take me a bit to see her as Catelyn, not Peet.[/quote]
The Neil LaBute play I saw was most definitely a dramatic piece - he only writes drama, though at times he will hit a darkly funny note...at times. She's very capable of a dramatic role.

This is the greatest thing that has happened to me since I bought those books. Unfortunately, I'm not American...so I'll have to wait until the series comes over here like other HBO stuff.

Still, I think it is fantastic that D & D come on here to this board to see the views of the fans. I think that shows that they are dedicated to make it as well as they can.

Good luck! :cheers:

[quote name='The hairy bear' post='1607486' date='Dec 3 2008, 10.33']Sounds very, very good!!

So, we should limit the casting for the pilot to the charachters appearing in the prologue + the fisrt 8 chapters. This limits it to[/quote]

There should be a new casting thread made with your list here to suite D&D so there not going threw tons of Stannis/Renly and ect castings. called Prologue casting.

Don't worry about a whole new thread. I'm in the middle of taking the list someone (fabulously) made of potential characters to be used and making them bold in the Casting Synopsis Index...which BTW has still not been stickied (gives the evil eye to whoever has the power to do these things).

[quote name='The hairy bear' post='1607486' date='Dec 3 2008, 11.33']Also, there're significant carachters that appear in the chapters without lines:

29-Rickon Stark
30-Sandor Clegane
31-Myrcella Baratheon
32-Tommen Baratheon
33-Jorah Mormont
34-Khal Drogo[/quote]

I think there are a few more that make an appearence.

wasn't Barristan the bold with them as well.

We've got a list in a thread down below somewhere. I have used these wonderful lists to color code the index to make things easier for everyone. Barristan was not with them at that point and time that I am aware...

Oh, and BTW, where do we sign up for Casting Director for this production? :thumbsup: Edited by Adelle Tully

The person who would make the best hound is David Benioff himself!

THE HOUND = DAVID BENIOFF!!!!!!

He looks just like him. Burn half his face and he's good to go. Also, in terms of understanding a character, the Hound is very deep and Benioff probably has a better understanding of him than anybody.

Sorry Dan, I can't find a pick of you, so your not to be cast.

Scott Glenn - Barristan Selmy

Al Leong - Aggo

Frank Medrano - Asapori Leader

Danny Trejo - Arakho

Jaime Lannister - Jason Lewis (perfect)

Guy Wincott - Anyone, just get him in there

Keith Carradine - Bronze Yohn Royce (perfect)

Jeremy Irons - Brynden Blackfish

Casting Website that has all the right actors with the right looks without going over budget =

[url="http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/"]http://www.geocities.com/asoiafcasting/[/url]

Big name actors should be chosen for smaller parts of awesome characeters

Recognizable (oh whats his names) should be key people as well as unknown on the rise actors.

Here is my full list so far, I will add to it when i get a chance.

Vladimir Kulich = Victarion

Robert Forster = Rodrik Cassel

Rory Culkin = Bran or Rob, Not sure how old he is these days

Diane Weist = Lady Mormont

Dan Hedaya = Rickard Karstarck

David Morse = Kevan Lannister

HARRY DEAN STANTON = WALDER FREY

Curtis Armstrong = Moonboy

Philip Baker Hall = Maester Luwin

Joaquim De Almeda = Oberyn Martell

James Cromwell = Bonnifer Hasty

William Flichtner = Eddard Starck (somber is his middle name)

John Heard = Janos Slynt

Richard Jenkins = Qyburn

David Paymer = Walder Rivers

Lane Smith = Alt. Rodrik Cassel

Stephen Tobolowsky = Hallyn the Pyromancer

Billy Boyd = Robin Flynt

Dash Mihok = The Red Oarsmen

Ian Holm = Alt. Walder Frey

Brad Douriff = Alt. Hallyne the Pyromancer

Kevin McKidd = Randyll Tarly

Michael Ironside = Stannis baratheon

Dominic West = Renly Baratheon (has a big gay smile, perfect for Renly who is gay)

Vincent Schiavelli = Ilyn Payne

Mads Mikkelsen = Lyn Corbray

Hugh Dancy = Garlan Tyrell

Michael Beihn = Little Finger

Jon Tenney = Arthur Dane

Dana Delaney = Catelyn Tulley

Ben Cross = Osmund Kettleblack

Ryan Kwanten = Daven Lannister

Keegan Holst = Tommen

Max Pirkis = Lancel

Ian McShane = Tywin Lannister

Bree Seeana Wall = Myrcella