Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

Hello everyone--

We just wanted to say 'Hi,' and thank you guys for everything: your love of the amazing world George has created, your enthusiasm for the HBO adaptation -- and of course, your casting expertise. It's hardly been two days since George, Elio and Linda put the call out, and you've already made dozens of great suggestions, the vast majority of which are new to us. It's crucial that we get the casting right, and you're all providing invaluable help in that area.

We'll be neck deep in pre-production soon, so apologies in advance if we're unable to respond to every individual question or suggestion. But we'll be checking in as often as possible, and when decisions are finally made, we'll let you know as soon as the ink is dry. And when things are a bit further down the road with production, we'll do a Westeros email interview or online chat. Who knows, maybe George can even drop in and join us, Old Gods willing.

Until then, we look forward to all your thoughts -- this is a labor of love for us, and it's an honor to have so many Maesters watching over us and making sure we get it right.

Valar Morghulis,
David and Dan ("D.B.")

Wow. Thanks a lot guys for posting here. It means a lot to me personally that you're really taking our views into consideration. I know it will be difficult for you gentlemen to toe the line between being true to the series, pleasing us and pleasing the viewing public. I really look forward to the good work you accomplish in that tension.

Here are some issues that would help us to suggest actors more suitable:

1. What accents are you looking for?
2. What are you planning on doing about the ages for the characters? I assume that Sansa, Dany, Jon, Robb, Joffrey, etc. will be aged up (early to mid 20s), while Bran, Arya, Tommen, etc. will be aged similarly to the books.

Finally...take a gander at the "Can we cast us?" thread. Just sayin' Edited by RobbJKJ

Thank you for the thread and a hearty "break a leg" to the entire production. It would be helpful if you could let us know any alterations between the book characters and the screen characters. For example are they Stark children (and Jon) going to be older than they are portrayed in the books? Will anyone be dropped outright due to time considerations?

Thanks

It's great that you guys took the time to visit us here, say hi and take a look at the suggestions and the excitement. I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's safe to say that everyone here is very excited about the whole thing and can't wait to see it.

Thank you so much for 1) beleiving in this series and writting a pilot script good enough to get an order for the pilot, and 2) giving fans of the series the opportunity to make suggestions

Surely now, if anyone had any doubts left, which I didn't, we know that this production is in the very best hands possible.

First, congratulations. I have the utmost confidence that this series will be done faithfully, and in the spirit of these wonderful stories George has given us all.

Second, in terms of casting, I have but one request. Cast me as Robb Stark. I've got the auburn hair, and I'm just a couple of years older than the character. Not the mention the rugged good looks of a King in the North. Now that's out of the way, and on a slightly more serious note...

I will second Peter Dinklage for Tyrion. A legitimately serious actor, with the resume to back it up. He will shine in the role.

You also could do much worse with Sean Bean as Ned Stark. His looks, while spot on for the character, are secondary to his ability.

Those are my picks.

Best of luck! You guys will be great.

[quote name='The Blackfish' post='1589134' date='Nov 14 2008, 12.08']You also could do much worse with Sean Bean as Ned Stark. His looks, while spot on for the character, are secondary to his ability.[/quote]

You really think that Sean Bean wants to be typecast as "Noble-swordsman-who-dies-toward-the-beginning-of-the-story?" Been there, done that.

[quote name='RobbJKJ' post='1588698' date='Nov 14 2008, 03.34']Here are some issues that would help us to suggest actors more suitable:

1. What accents are you looking for?
2. What are you planning on doing about the ages for the characters? I assume that Sansa, Dany, Jon, Robb, Joffrey, etc. will be aged up (early to mid 20s), while Bran, Arya, Tommen, etc. will be aged similarly to the books.[/quote]

Very good questions, I'd like to know as well. Especially in regards to the age. If each book is a season, you might have to change actor for Bran, Rickon, Arya etc. Which would kind of suck. I don't know if changing their age (some of the characters' age are crucial plot-wise) would be better or not. Hard to say.

Its really great that you guys are paying attention to what the fans would really like to see. Bravo.

I think RobbJKJ's questions were outstanding. In that spirit, I'd like to add an additional question. Namely:

How much will you take into account the physical build descriptions given in the novels for the various characters? A really "pretty" Jaime that weighs 150lbs, isn't going to be quite as convincing as a master of the two handed broad sword it seems.

It's great to have the execs on the board, even if just for skimming the many many responses they will get. Jon Favreau created a board on Myspace to interact with fans re: the Iron Man movie. That project seems to have gone well.

Welcome, Benioff and Weiss!

I'd like to take this time to point out that if any of the casting choices I supported are chosen for the roles, and they turn out to suck, I assume no responsibility! You get what you pay for! ;)

Seriously, hey, look, it's the exec producers. That's cool. While I think we're all going to be glad for the opportunity to have the people making this show listening to our feedback and chiming in, all of us (okay, well, most of us) will understand that you're going to be focusing your energies into making the show as kick-ass as possible, and would rather have you doing that than addressing our pedantic concerns. You're professionals. Do your thing. If Martin trusts you with his baby, so do we.

I think it's fantastic the producers are already putting their hands forth to the forum as a whole; this can only bode well that they care enough about the fanbase to even look this forum up.

My advice to you two gentlemen (as though you need it): do what you think is best for the success of the series. HBO has a fantastic record with regard to storytelling and (especially) spot-on casting. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but if I get multiple years of critically-acclaimed [i]A Game of Thrones[/i], color me one happy little Yea.

Aside: Not that I want to jump ahead of an announcement regarding the shooting of a [i]single episode[/i]... but I'm curious what will happen with the later seasons if all the books aren't finished by the time they start 5th, 6th, and 7th year production. >.>

Yea

P.S. Advice for would-be actors and actresses: go out and get something - anything - that would add a credit to your name. I can't think of a single series that employed zero-experience non-union actors in anything remotely regarding a "name" role. Go get an agent and grab a quick commercial or two, if you can. ...At the very least have a head shot.

[quote name='Papirolle' post='1588725' date='Nov 14 2008, 02.28']Now, lets get started:
Please cast Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. Kidnap him if you have to! :)[/quote]

This just deserves to get repeated as much as possible. :) Peter rules.

(And David, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done with Wolverine. *snikt* :) )