Twilight

The Anti-Targ

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1609855' date='Dec 4 2008, 22.49']Twilight would be faster.[/quote]

But Wizard's First Rule is actually entertaining, and offers [i]so much more[/i] in the realm of mockery than just sparkly vampires, paling meadows and pubescent whining. Also, it is a "classic" of the genre. Choose life, man. Choose the Yeard.

[quote name='Yngwie the Enforcer' post='1610155' date='Dec 5 2008, 09.05']But Wizard's First Rule is actually entertaining, and offers [i]so much more[/i] in the realm of mockery than just sparkly vampires, paling meadows and pubescent whining. Also, it is a "classic" of the genre. Choose life, man. Choose the Yeard.[/quote]

Look at [i]you[/i] pimping the Yeard.

[quote name='Yngwie the Enforcer' post='1610553' date='Dec 5 2008, 15.40']I keep trying to get Mr. X to read WFR, but he refuses. Does this mean I should kick him to the curb? :unsure:[/quote]

I'd love to see that paperwork: Reason for Seperation: He wouldn't read The Yeard. Would the judge laugh that one out of court or what? ;)

recently read a review of twilight in the Spectrum section of The Sydney Morning Herald and the reviewers description of bella was spot on (paraphrasing here), "A limp, wan, bloodless character and entirely passive. Essentially the anti-Buffy committed to be slain rather than being the slayer".

[quote name='Peter Irving' post='1609792' date='Dec 5 2008, 15.43']I am debating whether to read twilight or Wizards first rule as my shitty book of the year. So which should I choose?[/quote]

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1609855' date='Dec 5 2008, 16.49']Twilight would be faster.[/quote]

[quote name='Yngwie the Enforcer' post='1610155' date='Dec 6 2008, 03.05']But Wizard's First Rule is actually entertaining, and offers [i]so much more[/i] in the realm of mockery than just sparkly vampires, paling meadows and pubescent whining. Also, it is a "classic" of the genre. Choose life, man. Choose the Yeard.[/quote]

I'm with Yngwie here. If it's gotta be one or the other then I preferred WFR by far. But better than either is to read something worthy of your time I think.

About the linked review upthread: I sent it to one of my family who read the whole series, liked it and is planning to see the movie. She said she fully agreed with the review, but she still likes the books and will be going to see the movie. :dunno: I don't get it!?!

[quote name='the Wull' post='1611415' date='Dec 6 2008, 20.05']recently read a review of twilight in the Spectrum section of The Sydney Morning Herald and the reviewers description of bella was spot on (paraphrasing here), "A limp, wan, bloodless character and entirely passive. Essentially the anti-Buffy committed to be slain rather than being the slayer".[/quote]
So true I've read summaries of the books and all and Buffy we';; get herself out of trouble whilst Bella always needs someone to save her. (Okay I'm a Wheedonite).

Although I'll admit to liking the movie :blush: (It was pretty, I'm shallow), I agree that the book was a pile of shit. The fact that otherwise intelligent people I know, think that Edward's behavior toward Bella is romantic disturbs me. The "romance" also felt very contrived to me, and I sat through all of the second Star Wars prequel!

Whoever wants to choose between WFR and Twilight, please, please, choose Goodkind. WFR is not eye-bleedingly bad compared to the others which truly are... (Evil Mud People Chicken for the epic fail), and while I promised to post reviews of each chapter, dear god, I just COULDN'T do it... That book made Eragon seem good...
Oh, and btw, I happen to [i]like[/i] Linkin Park, or at least their older stuff... :lol:

Oooh, and nice Emilie Autumn avatar, LF. Getting Opheliac for christmas, w00t.

[quote name='Lisheo' post='1613829' date='Dec 10 2008, 10.20']That book made Eragon seem good...[/quote]

What's with the bagging of Eragon? It was written by a 15-year old gosh darn it! I betcha no one on this board could have written a book half as good when they were 15. (Any 15-year olds on the board willing to give it a try?). Twilight on the other hand was written by a full grown woman, she has no excuses.

Casting Eragon in a similar light to Twilight with respect to literary quality is a real disservice to Eragon. (I've never read Eragon or the sequels and I thought the movie was sucky, so I am no particular fan of the work.).

Now if you wanna criticise the subsequent Paolini books as not representing any improvement in literary achievment or maturity in style over the original then you might have a fair point.

I apologise. I actually don't have much beef with Eragon the book, as you point out, he was 15, but its the other books in the series that I hate with an unbridled passion.
I just have no idea what the name of the series is and thus call the whole collective work Eragon; Ive blanked out the series name after reading each book lmao. :P
Honestly, though, the later Eragon Books ARE bad, but not even close to the level of Twilight.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1613852' date='Dec 9 2008, 16.36']What's with the bagging of Eragon? It was written by a 15-year old gosh darn it! I betcha no one on this board could have written a book half as good when they were 15. (Any 15-year olds on the board willing to give it a try?). Twilight on the other hand was written by a full grown woman, she has no excuses.

Casting Eragon in a similar light to Twilight with respect to literary quality is a real disservice to Eragon. ([b]I've never read Eragon[/b] or the sequels and I thought the movie was sucky, so I am no particular fan of the work.).

Now if you wanna criticise the subsequent Paolini books as not representing any improvement in literary achievment or maturity in style over the original then you might have a fair point.[/quote]

There's the issue.

It's awful. It's not so bad for something a 15 year old wrote and then left in his drawer only to pull out 10 years later and laugh at how badly written and derivative it is. It's terrible for a published book.

Basically, age is no excuse for shittiness.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1613852' date='Dec 9 2008, 16.36']What's with the bagging of Eragon? It was written by a 15-year old gosh darn it! I betcha no one on this board could have written a book half as good when they were 15. (Any 15-year olds on the board willing to give it a try?). Twilight on the other hand was written by a full grown woman, she has no excuses.[/quote]

I wrote a book when I was 13 that I am about 70% sure is better than Eragon. And it really sucked.

Which is not say I didn't like Eragon. It was an easy, harmless read.

Twilight was a gagging, awful read.

Archived