Twilight

The Anti-Targ

[quote name='Naknakkus' post='1604341' date='Dec 1 2008, 19.52']It's actually worse than Goodkind, if that can be believed. I seriously worry about the young women taking Bella as a role model.[/quote]

I think I've read an interview with the author of the books, and she says that she doesn't read much, except for Eragorn and Harry Potter.
That should tell you something.

[quote name='Naknakkus' post='1604341' date='Dec 1 2008, 05.52']It's actually worse than Goodkind, if that can be believed. I seriously worry about the young women taking Bella as a role model.[/quote]

Or, from what I've read in posts and articles out of morbid curiosity, who expect their boyfriends to be like Edward.

Need a little help.

I have zero interest in these books. I've read a couple small excerpts and seen enough critcism and EW articles to tell me that this series is horrible. (I like 7th's comparison.)

Now I'm faced with arguing with a very good friend who I know to be (mostly) intelligent. As an educator, I know she should know better, but she's into the light fluff stuff right now since she's hit a recent rough patch. She says she "needs the flaws" of her characters right now rather than some sort of weird idealized idea of true and perfect love. She didn't get it when I told her she was reading the wrong books...

Anyone know of any good reviews/articles that are honest and truthful about how, while they might be light and poorly written, they're absolutely horrible for the psyche of young people?

[quote]Or, from what I've read in posts and articles out of morbid curiosity, who expect their boyfriends to be like Edward.[/quote]

Bella is a horrible role model. She is ungrateful, shallow, and completely losses her self because she is in "love". (Because Edward's god like face is so painfully beautiful when he smiles his crooked smile :leer: )

But I think most teenage girls suffer from delusions about how love is going to be. I know I sure did when I was younger I definitely had the "Someday My Prince Will Come" syndrome. Then you date, learn and get over it. I don't think Twilight is going to do any lasting damage, though the example Bella sets is defiantly terrible. I devotedly hope that readers of Twilight go on to explore more literature.

I guess it depends on taste. For me I don't think Twilight is as bad as Goodkind because I think that if I had been a teenager when I found it I would have liked it. But with Goodkind I stopped reading him when I was 13 because I thought his story was so bad. So I think it is each to his own, but for me Goodkind is the Hilter of writers, others might be bad, but no one will ever be as bad as Hilter.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1604502' date='Dec 1 2008, 06.59']Need a little help.

I have zero interest in these books. I've read a couple small excerpts and seen enough critcism and EW articles to tell me that this series is horrible. (I like 7th's comparison.)

Now I'm faced with arguing with a very good friend who I know to be (mostly) intelligent. As an educator, I know she should know better, but she's into the light fluff stuff right now since she's hit a recent rough patch. She says she "needs the flaws" of her characters right now rather than some sort of weird idealized idea of true and perfect love. She didn't get it when I told her she was reading the wrong books...

Anyone know of any good reviews/articles that are honest and truthful about how, while they might be light and poorly written, they're absolutely horrible for the psyche of young people?[/quote]

Amazon has some good reviews. But honestly I would let your friend be. If someone has eaten authentic well prepared Chinese food and still thinks Panda Express is good food, then it is just a fundamental difference in taste.

I don't think Twilight is anymore damaging to most young people's psyche then Disney was to our generations. In both cases I think you get over it the older you get. But it still is horrible writing, and it reads like a housewife with traditional values wrote a fan fiction for Buffy.

I agree with 7th: if I'd read it as a teenager, I'd probably have lurved it. However life tends to knock off a few illusions as you get older. :/

Jaxom, you could get your friend to watch Buffy; now that's a relatively more realistic human-vampire relationship for you.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1604615' date='Dec 1 2008, 12.17']I agree with 7th: if I'd read it as a teenager, I'd probably have lurved it. However life tends to knock off a few illusions as you get older. :/

Jaxom, you could get your friend to watch Buffy; now that's a relatively more realistic human-vampire relationship for you.[/quote]

You know, I don't know if she ever watched Buffy...

And I'd agree that getting older should knock a few illusions off, yet that doesn't seem to be the case with a great number of older women and mothers...why is that?

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm letting this bother me so much...

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1604737' date='Dec 1 2008, 12.51']I think Edward is the equivalent of a Bond girl.[/quote]

I think Bella is the equivalent of a Bond girl. It's just not often we get a story from the perspective of the accessory.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1604764' date='Dec 1 2008, 19.09']Unless you have seen a Bond Girl glitter like she had a million diamonds embedded in her skin I think the answer is obvious.[/quote]

Well, there was that villain with dimaonds in his skull...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1604789' date='Dec 1 2008, 10.22']Well they did paint whashername gold in Goldfinger...she was kinda sparkly... :P[/quote]

She and Edward should have a sparkle off then, to the death. The winner will be declared THE ULTIMATE SPARKLER!

Seeing the stand of these books in my local shop with their [i]angsty[/i] covers I keep being reminded of Terry Pratchett's bemusement of the 'romantic' vampire phenomenon: "You stake them through the heart, you don't go out with them!"

For this reason, when anyone recommends me this crap I point them at [i]Fevre Dream[/i] and [i]Carpe Jugulum [/i]or lend them my copy of the [b]Ultraviolet[/b] mini-series on DVD (the best modern take on the vampire mythos, full stop) and say, "No, [i]that's[/i] what vampires would really be like." FFS.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1604415' date='Dec 1 2008, 13.16']I recently read the first book. To me it is the written equivalent of Panda Express, (for those who don't know Panda Express is a chain of fast food Chinese restaurants) . It's edible, if you are in the right mood it is even crazable; but most of the time it just a greasy, processed, stomach churning imitation of some thing that can be so delicious.[/quote]

This is a pretty good review. Sure you're not a closet blogger? ;)

Archived