Going to Worldcon 2009 in Montreal?

pat5150

Quoted from a post I put elsewhere:

[quote]Closing ceremonies the last few years
2005: 3pm
2006: 4pm
2007: noon
2008: 2:30pm

So... realistically early to mid-afternoon, I guess? It's totally up to the organizers, though, so in theory Anticipation could have it whenever they want.[/quote]

As a note, in each case the closing ceremonies were on the last day. (As you'd expect, I suppose.) So in the years where the con doesn't end until Monday, the ceremonies are still held Monday, even if there's a lower attendance than the weekend.

ETA: In each case I pulled the info from the con's online program(me) / schedule. If there was a change between said schedule and the actual events, I don't have that noted here.

Just a quick note for people coming from overseas.

YYZ is the Toronto Pearson airport in Toronto, as already said you would take a shuttle bus to Toronto Union Station and go from there.

YHM is in a different city (Hamilton). You'll need to adjust your travel plans if you fly in to YHM.
- Take local transit from airport to the Hamilton GO Centre (about 30 minutes this is a shuttle, then a bus)
- Take a GO Transit Bus to Aldershot Train Station (about 15 minutes)
- Take a GO Transit Train from Aldershot to Toronto Union Station (about an hour trip)
- Take a VIA Rail Train from Toronto Union Station to Montreal (5ish hour trip)

So... for ease of getting around, fly in to YYZ!!! ;)

[quote name='Mich' post='1648526' date='Jan 14 2009, 15.19']Just a quick note for people coming from overseas.

YYZ is the Toronto Pearson airport in Toronto, as already said you would take a shuttle bus to Toronto Union Station and go from there.

YHM is in a different city (Hamilton). You'll need to adjust your travel plans if you fly in to YHM.
- Take local transit from airport to the Hamilton GO Centre (about 30 minutes this is a shuttle, then a bus)
- Take a GO Transit Bus to Aldershot Train Station (about 15 minutes)
- Take a GO Transit Train from Aldershot to Toronto Union Station (about an hour trip)
- Take a VIA Rail Train from Toronto Union Station to Montreal (5ish hour trip)

So... for ease of getting around, fly in to YYZ!!! ;)[/quote]

thanks Mich :) that's very useful information - can't do much about flying into Hamilton but at least I have several days either side of the con so there's no rush for getting to Montreal and back again ;)

[quote name='pat5150' post='1648502' date='Jan 14 2009, 15.00']Monday being sort of an half-assed con day where people do close to nothing other than leave town?

Patrick[/quote]

Yeah, I figured Monday would be more of a get out of Dodge kind of day. So that's what I'll be doing, full of poutine and pancake. :wideeyed:

[quote name='pat5150' post='1648502' date='Jan 14 2009, 15.00']Aren't the banquet and award ceremony always on Sunday evening, with Monday being sort of an half-assed con day where people do close to nothing other than leave town?[/quote]
At the same time, i'm pretty sure that GRRM did do a reading on a Monday at one Worldcon, so some stuff can happen there. But not a very active day.

I don't think there is an actual "banquet". IIRC there is a Masquerade and an Awards cermony on the Saturday and Sunday nights (if the con ends on a Monday) or Friday and Saturday night (if the con ends on a Sunday).

[quote name='Kat' post='1636654' date='Jan 3 2009, 02.42']On the bus, they tend to frown upon drinking... ;)[/quote]

Thats why you pre-mix your drinks in soda bottles and sit at the back...make sure the bus has a bathroom though or it can be a very lonnng ride

For anyone who will transit via London, UK, now that Zoom folded last fall the best bet for charter flights between London and Montreal remains [url="http://www.airtransat.ca"]Air Transat[/url]...

Patrick

I figure if I'm gonna do this I may as well stay a couple of extra days either before or after. I mean this year it falls right in the middle of my work enforced holiday (shutdown) so its not like I have to take extra time off and the biggest cost is the flights.

Is anyone thinking of staying longer? It would be nice if there where one or two people I could hang arround with for those days.

Oh and this is my first Con so this is all rather new to me and I don't know what to expect.

[quote name='pat5150' post='1650875' date='Jan 15 2009, 22.23']For anyone who will transit via London, UK, now that Zoom folded last fall the best bet for charter flights between London and Montreal remains [url="http://www.airtransat.ca"]Air Transat[/url]...[/quote]
I haven't been keen on Air Transat since I heard they turn the oxygen down during the flight to save money on fuel. :eek: Finding cheap flights from the UK shouldn't be that bad, there is probably more choice from that end.

[quote name='Pebble that Hides' post='1650876' date='Jan 16 2009, 04.23']I figure if I'm gonna do this I may as well stay a couple of extra days either before or after. I mean this year it falls right in the middle of my work enforced holiday (shutdown) so its not like I have to take extra time off and the biggest cost is the flights.

Is anyone thinking of staying longer? It would be nice if there where one or two people I could hang arround with for those days.

Oh and this is my first Con so this is all rather new to me and I don't know what to expect.[/quote]

I'm around for a few days after the con and it's my first con too :) sure there will be others taking the opportunity to spend a bit more time there too!

For a list of (international) airports and airlines that serve Montreal direct, one can look at this list from the Montreal airport website:
[url="http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aeriens/DestinationsServedInternational.aspx"]http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aer...ernational.aspx[/url]

And similarly a list of US destinations/airlines that serve Montreal:
[url="http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aeriens/DestinationsServedUnitedStates.aspx"]http://www.admtl.com/passager/services_aer...itedStates.aspx[/url]

The only caveat with those lists is that its only looking at airlines that serve Montreal this winter. At the same time, i'd expect any airline that serves Montreal in the winter, to serve Montreal in the summer. But there are bound to be a few that don't serve in the winter but do in the summer. For example, Air Transat flies to Dublin in the summer but is not on the list.

Still, i'm sure the list will be updated later in the year.

[quote name='Pebble that Hides' post='1650876' date='Jan 16 2009, 04.23']Is anyone thinking of staying longer? It would be nice if there where one or two people I could hang arround with for those days.

Oh and this is my first Con so this is all rather new to me and I don't know what to expect.[/quote]

[quote name='tenalpia' post='1651029' date='Jan 16 2009, 08.31']I'm around for a few days after the con and it's my first con too :) sure there will be others taking the opportunity to spend a bit more time there too![/quote]

And I'll be arriving a few days [b]early[/b]. So, whatever works for you. There will always be some cheerful tourists to hang out with. :cheers:

Woot! I just bought my membership, booked a hotel room (not through the con. I got very similar pricing with Expedia) and reserved my flight (thank goodness for Air Miles).

Now I just have to get a passport and I am all set!

*posted in both Montreal threads because I am THAT excited about it! WOO!!*

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

Five months in the making, but it's finally here! The ultimate Montreal Restaurant Guide! Well okay, maybe not the ultimate, but a couple of foodies and the folks at Guide Resto Voir 2009 (the authority on culinary establishments in MTL) helped me put together a guide that should cater to every taste and every budget.

Bookmark it and help spread the word so everyone can enjoy a few good meals while in Montréal: MTL Restaurant Guide

Cheers,

Patrick

Hey guys,

Five months in the making, but it's finally here! The ultimate Montreal Restaurant Guide! Well okay, maybe not the ultimate, but a couple of foodies and the folks at Guide Resto Voir 2009 (the authority on culinary establishments in MTL) helped me put together a guide that should cater to every taste and every budget.

Bookmark it and help spread the word so everyone can enjoy a few good meals while in Montréal: MTL Restaurant Guide

Cheers,

Patrick

Holy Crap, food is expensive. I can eat most places in MD for $5 B; 10-15L and 25-35D. Maybe I just eat at cheap places, but damn, $20-50 for lunch in INSANE.

Thank you so much for posting this. I would have been totally unprepared had you not.

*adds food to list of things to pack*

Archived