Aussies XXXXVI

gryphon strike

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1718153' date='Mar 13 2009, 18.22']Supposedly, yeah. My dad used to work for the guy, supposedly he's a bit of an ass.[/quote]
Really?

I thought he was some sort of whiz kid to turn a few tens of thousands into millions when all around him his mates were doing it with tens of dollars :P
Seriously it was a quick boom and bust market you either got in early and out before the bust or you didn't bother
I didn't have the needed cash to get into it.

[quote name='sh_wulff' post='1720326' date='Mar 16 2009, 07.09']shameless bump
we had a stunning thunderstorm last night
missed us but lit the sky beautifully[/quote]

I feel somehow ripped off. We had a thunderstorm forecast for yesterday morning and never got a grey cloud. let alone the storm. I loves me a good thunderstorm and I was looking forward to it. All we got was 38C and humid. :thumbsdown:

On a brighter note, its Underbelly night!!

So my mother in law is finally moving out. In doing so, she's leaving us with an ungodly rental amount, 1 month into the 6 month lease she signed with us and basically begged us to stay with her because she couldn't find a place to go last time the lease was up.

Anyways, what is up with this housing market!!!! I understand that some people don't want to rent to people with kids because kids have a higher potential to damage things, but renting to Uni students over families? Hrm...drunk uni students who party harty all day and night, are loud and more often than not leave the place a disaster or come up short of funds as opposed to a family with two children who are asleep by 8pm (okay so they may draw on walls or slam doors), but you'd think you'd chose the one with less potential to screw you over and/or cause damage to your house...

Honestly, the same people own the house we're at now and the house next door. We get our rent raised supposedly because Uni students will pay more. NEWS FLASH! HAVE YOU EVER MET OUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS!??? They're loud all day and night so much so that the police have to be called. They have fist fights and you can SMELL the house from the sidewalk! This is all besides the fact that they have never even THOUGHT about mowing their lawn. You can't walk down the sidewalk in front of their house without being attacked by waist high weeds. But did their rent go up? Hell no. 4 bed house for 100 less a week than what we're paying and they've had 5 different tenants in the last year....but WE'RE the bad ones...yeah fucking right.

[quote name='Adelle Tully' post='1721908' date='Mar 17 2009, 16.43']So my mother in law is finally moving out. In doing so, she's leaving us with an ungodly rental amount, 1 month into the 6 month lease she signed with us and basically begged us to stay with her because she couldn't find a place to go last time the lease was up.

Anyways, what is up with this housing market!!!! I understand that some people don't want to rent to people with kids because kids have a higher potential to damage things, but renting to Uni students over families? Hrm...drunk uni students who party harty all day and night, are loud and more often than not leave the place a disaster or come up short of funds as opposed to a family with two children who are asleep by 8pm (okay so they may draw on walls or slam doors), but you'd think you'd chose the one with less potential to screw you over and/or cause damage to your house...

Honestly, the same people own the house we're at now and the house next door. We get our rent raised supposedly because Uni students will pay more. NEWS FLASH! HAVE YOU EVER MET OUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS!??? They're loud all day and night so much so that the police have to be called. They have fist fights and you can SMELL the house from the sidewalk! This is all besides the fact that they have never even THOUGHT about mowing their lawn. You can't walk down the sidewalk in front of their house without being attacked by waist high weeds. But did their rent go up? Hell no. 4 bed house for 100 less a week than what we're paying and they've had 5 different tenants in the last year....but WE'RE the bad ones...yeah fucking right.[/quote]
You thought about buying?

Of late, the rental market has been plummeting and this will continue with dropping interest rates and more afforable housing. It's getting to the stage where the average dept payments with a property purchase is actually less than the average rent.

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1721966' date='Mar 17 2009, 04.01']You thought about buying?

Of late, the rental market has been plummeting and this will continue with dropping interest rates and more afforable housing. It's getting to the stage where the average dept payments with a property purchase is actually less than the average rent.[/quote]

:agree: My friend lived in a 1 bedroom apartment, in the city. They wanted to put her rent up to $465 per week. She got jack and is now buying an apartment in the city and saving herself a bit of money.
who would have thought it would go that way. But with the economy the way it is, something has to give soon.

Adelle: It makes no kind of sense. If you knew who your neighbours rent through, you could call them and complain about the smell and state of the house and noise.
If caught in that state. the Realtors may be forced to change their policy.

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1721966' date='Mar 17 2009, 17.01']You thought about buying?

Of late, the rental market has been plummeting and this will continue with dropping interest rates and more afforable housing. It's getting to the stage where the average dept payments with a property purchase is actually less than the average rent.[/quote]

I agree with Skyrazer. The next two years should be kinder to homebuyers and people thinking of building - interest rates are lower and builders have less bargaining power in a slower economy. First homebuyers grants help as well, for those who are eligible.

[quote name='Saurian' post='1721971' date='Mar 17 2009, 18.10']Adelle: It makes no kind of sense. If you knew who your neighbours rent through, you could call them and complain about the smell and state of the house and noise.
If caught in that state. the Realtors may be forced to change their policy.[/quote]

I have looked at buying, but unfortunately without much of a credit history here I wouldn't have much luck. We're waiting until this time next year. I'm still a provisional resident (meaning I'm eligible to pay more tax and jump through more rings of flaming shit to get anything) so I wouldn't be eligible for the loan (unless my husband's name was on it, which wouldn't be a problem) and with how much I make, the bank will only approve me for 200k. A reasonable house here with 3 or more beds is around 350k. We also want to wait until the provisional status goes away so we can claim the first time home buyers grant and not have to pay stamp duty.

Saur, we HAVE complained. Numerous times. Or I should say, my mother in law who wouldn't give out my landlord's details to us complained. Since I've officially signed the lease and what not, I've complained twice. Policy or not, people just want the higher amount of money NOW with no regard about what may happen to their property. Attitudes like this are very similar to the attitudes in the US that have caused the recession. It's the "I want it now now now!" thing.

[quote name='Adelle Tully' post='1723444' date='Mar 18 2009, 02.41']Saur, we HAVE complained. Numerous times. Or I should say, my mother in law who wouldn't give out my landlord's details to us complained. Since I've officially signed the lease and what not, I've complained twice. Policy or not, people just want the higher amount of money NOW with no regard about what may happen to their property. Attitudes like this are very similar to the attitudes in the US that have caused the recession. It's the "I want it now now now!" thing.[/quote]

Ah that really sucks. To be honest I can't believe how much the rental market has changed since I've had to deal with it.
Since my husband is in the army. the defence housing authority are required to find suitable housing for us where ever we are posted to.
But I rented quite a bit before meeting my main man. and becoming an army wife. And it was really very hard for me to get rental approval because my age worked against me 18-24. and a family was more likely to get the house I would apply for.
I am stunned at the turn around in such a sort time. I mean logically the damage to a house would run easily into the thousands once the tenants vacated. how can the 'now money' or even the bond be enough to cover that kind of cost.
I guess all I can do is cringe at your horrible situation and honestly wish you the best of luck.
You seem to be caught between the rock and that sucky hard place.

How is life without a live-in MIL?

She moves out next Tuesday. Yes, we're counting down. I think I've almost got it narrowed down so I can count the seconds until she leaves!

She was out of her cave this morning to bitch about my husband and I yelling ideas back and forth between rooms (he was getting dressed and I was making breakfast for the kids) at 830 this morning. I just looked at her and asked her if she'd worked the night before (ready to apologize) and she said "no". So I just replied with what she always tells my husband: "Should have gone to bed earlier". Then while heading (rather stomping) to her room, she told my husband to buy and read a book about child rearing. I told her that was an excellent idea because it OBVIOUSLY worked for her (rolls eyes); before she slammed her door like a pouty teenager. Anyways, I caught her ranting to one of her friends under the house about how she supports us and does everything for us.

I ended up going and setting the friend straight by showing them the terms on the lease (showing how much rent I paid etc) and asking my mother in law how many times she does dishes or cooks a meal for herself. That shut her up pretty well. While her friend was there, I told her that I hoped her self centered daughter (sis in law) who won't do anything for her mother and can never show up to anything on time will take care of her in her old age (she's had cancer 3 times now) because I sure as hell won't be and that she should be glad her daughter makes so much money so that she can afford to put my mother in the best old folks home available (although it's more likely to be the psychiatric unit, honestly).

Anyways, I'll be glad to get rid of her once and for all. My children used to be wonderfully behaved until we moved in with her and she started interfering with everything we said. Now my children scream constantly and misbehave because they know she'll step in.

The crazy lady has even had to pay for a false police call saying my husband was abusing the children...he was putting them to bed and my daughter couldn't find her fav teddy.

I have to say though, the government stimulus package is awesome...close to 9k came into my account today!!! (falls over)

I didn't think I'd be eligible.

Adelle: :lol: Can't blame you and good on you for sticking up for yourself. I swear if my MIL came to live with us. I'm taking the kids and moving out.

Grats on the cash. I got just over a grand. which is better than a kick in the head on a rainy day.
it'll help heaps. I'm sure you have well laid plans yourself.. although if you finally get to move. that may just cover bond and the four weeks down. (when I was renting it was bond and two weeks, I almost fell over when my BIL told me it's 4 to 6 weeks down now.)
My husbands bike has been running harsh for a while so he wants to get it serviced and fixed. Which is fair enough, he relies on it to get him to work. and then there are some things that need paying off. and if I'm lucky a couple of new winter outfits for my son. since I swear he has shot up in the last few months, there is no way his old stuff will fit him.
that's if the cold weather actually comes..feels like it has been summer forever.

[quote name='Adelle Tully' post='1723476' date='Mar 18 2009, 18.20']I have to say though, the government stimulus package is awesome...close to 9k came into my account today!!! (falls over)

I didn't think I'd be eligible.[/quote]

Thats incredible! I'm due ours on Friday and I'm over the moon since I've learnt that the money for kids in school is tied purely to age rather than anything sensible like actual school enrollments so I'll be getting an unexpected $950 for my 4 year old. Naturally rather than spend it on any of the things we need that should be a higher priority I've already made plans to spend it all on photos of the kids but hey, they want us to spend it :)

Yeah, I was just commenting on how the weather hasn't realized that it isn't summer anymore...

As for the funds, we're buying furniture and household stuff since my MIL is taking everything but the dishes and a few bits of silverware with her (other than our bedroom stuff that is). So we'll have to get a fridge or freezer since we already have a little fridge, towels, microwave, couches, dining set etc. The rest we'll be saving up to help pay for the new house next year and in case of emergencies.

I may be coming in to a whole new wardrobe for when I'm a bit thinner (like 1 more size). My MIL is still storing much of my SIL stuff under the house and insists that she won't pay to have it moved. SIL has been saying she'll pick it up for a year now. MIL has told SIL that she has until this august to come get it without bothering to ask the people who will still be living there and hence, storing it. We're giving her a week after the MIL moves out. Most of it is clothing. She'll have the choice, move it or I go through it and donate what can't be used by us. It's honestly enough that it takes up most of the space under our house...which is 3/4 the size of the actual house...I doubt she'll come get it as she already has two closet fulls of clothes and these are too big for her now that she's been on the "I only eat when it's stylish" thing.

Either way, the funds are a big help.

Don't forget to save your receipts for school costs as well. You get half of that back at the end of the financial year. We're buying hubby a school computer with the money as well so we can get half of it back LOL.

Many of the things are covered, books, stationary, uniforms (I think), and computers etc. Even internet costs.

We don't actually have any school costs here. The demon child wont be starting until next year which is why I was so surprised to find out we're getting the back to school payment!

[quote name='brook' post='1723504' date='Mar 18 2009, 04.22']We don't actually have any school costs here. The demon child wont be starting until next year which is why I was so surprised to find out we're getting the back to school payment![/quote]

You didn't get a hard time for not putting your son into prep this year?
I got all kinds of grief.. He's four and simply not ready.
as it is, he has one day at a school to help special needs kids get ready for main stream school.
My son was diagnosed with Kabuki Syndrome last year. He is at the mild end of the spectrum of disabilities. He is intelligent and retains everything he learns but he is blocked in expressive language. He also gets sensory overload. and is affected by noise and touch. so he has to learn coping mechanisms to deal with that. add to that a compromised immune system and that will make school an interesting experience.
and he goes to kindy twice a week (day care has a kindy program)
and you wouldn't believe the amount of people asking me why I didn't put him into prep.
I'm like, honestly give the kid a break. He isn't ready yet.

*sigh*

So yeah I won't have anything this year to claim on. as far as school is concerned.
End of this year we are getting posted to don't know where yet. So that should be interesting for setting my son up in school next year.

Hrm, my daughter is one of the older kids in her class although she technically jumped up a grade from the US (different cut off dates). I think that because she's older, she's just a bit more mature and handles certain situations far better than if she were in the same grade as a 5 year old.

A fine example:

Butthead kid: Hey, your mom is fat!
My daughter: Erm....so?
Butthead Kid: You're gonna be fat too!
My Daughter: (Rolls eyes, shakes head, and walks away)

The only complaint I have in regards to schools here are the damn costs of uniforms! I've never been an advocate of uniforms and was actually suspended from school in California when they tried to impose them on me. Almost 30 bucks a shirt...I don't even pay that much for MY shirts!!!

Archived