Male feminists?

denstorebog

Guest Raidne
Let me put it this way, if you're getting in a car with a woman, and you're driving, do you open her car door for her? Do you do this if it's a special occasion, or you're on a date?

Raidne,

[quote name='Raidne' post='1735993' date='Mar 27 2009, 13.49']Let me put it this way, if you're getting in a car with a woman, and you're driving, do you open her car door for her? Do you do this if it's a special occasion, or you're on a date?[/quote]

Yes. But then, I'm aculturated to do this and married to a woman who appreciates the gesture. Further, I'm not claiming to be a feminist.

[quote name='needle' post='1735995' date='Mar 27 2009, 13.50']You know, I'm kinda bored of that whole door opening thing.

Who the hell cares? Done to death.[/quote]

I think we're going for some kind of canard trifecta. Who are you to stand in the way of history and progress?!

The word feminist has a lot of negative connotations in the United States, mostly due to radical Feminist nut-jobs.

Calling yourself a Humanist is both saying the exact same thing as the actual definition of Feminism, and avoids all psychotic misandry.

As an aside, as proof that radical Feminism has had an impact, spell-check accepts misogyny but says misandry is not a word. Gotta love it.

anna, did you get around to reading Stiffed by Susan Faludi?

Guest Raidne
[quote name='needle' post='1735995' date='Mar 27 2009, 13.50']You know, I'm kinda bored of that whole door opening thing.

Who the hell cares? Done to death.[/quote]

I don't want to get into whether it's sexist or not. I really, really don't. I'm just curious if male feminists do it.

Yep, that means if you're not a male feminist, you don't have to answer. :)

But thanks for sharing your feelings.

So far as I've heard it, "humanist" has been a word that atheists seem to have taken for themselves to describe a human centered basis for understanding reality. Although most would probably also be committed to gender equality, I wouldn't consider the major focus of humanist groups. So if I heard someone describe themselves as a "humanist", their position on gender relations wouldn't even come into my thinking right off, honestly.

I'm more likely to be quiet and not stick up for myself in an argument because of other women, not men. In, say, a group of 10 people in which I'm the only girl I'll say whatever the fuck I want. When it's 5/5, I rarely have anything to add.

Just throwing my anecdote in because I want to derail the "women have it so hard, men are always talking over them" histeria.

[quote name='Starkess' post='1736051' date='Mar 27 2009, 13.32']Just throwing my anecdote in because I want to derail the "women have it so hard, men are always talking over them" histeria.[/quote]

:lol:

Unintended irony ftw.

[quote name='Eponine' post='1736050' date='Mar 27 2009, 14.31']So far as I've heard it, "humanist" has been a word that atheists seem to have taken for themselves to describe a human centered basis for understanding reality. Although most would probably also be committed to gender equality, I wouldn't consider the major focus of humanist groups. So if I heard someone describe themselves as a "humanist", their position on gender relations wouldn't even come into my thinking right off, honestly.[/quote]

Not to give you shit twice in one week, but I posted the definition earlier in the thread.

[quote name='Altherion' post='1736057' date='Mar 27 2009, 13.38']Where's the irony? It would be ironic if Starkess was male, but this is rather clearly not the case.[/quote]

The irony is that the on-going discussion on how some women's response to men who dominate discussions are dismissed as hysteria ends up with someone blithly classifying the entire discussion as hysteria. Whether Starkess is male or not didn't factor into my irony-detection algorithm.

[quote name='Stego' post='1736071' date='Mar 27 2009, 14.44']Not to give you shit twice in one week, but I posted the definition earlier in the thread.[/quote]

Stego, I understand that you use the word according to a specific definition. However, that's not the only definition, nor is it the only way that the word is used in popular understanding. I am not trying to say that you are WRONG for using as it as you do, only pointing out that other people have different associations with that word.

Please note that I did not make a generalization about how "everyone" understands the word "humanist", I mentioned that *I* have a different association based on *my* experiences.

[quote name='Starkess' post='1736051' date='Mar 27 2009, 11.32']I'm more likely to be quiet and not stick up for myself in an argument because of other women, not men. In, say, a group of 10 people in which I'm the only girl I'll say whatever the fuck I want. When it's 5/5, I rarely have anything to add.[/quote]

Out of curiosity why do you think that is?

Personally I've noticed if I am the only woman in situation then I am given more attention and consideration by the men in that situation. If I am with a group of women/men that attention and consideration is lessened.

I thought it was basic human courtesy to open doors for people...

Helping people into coats is another matter. I find it trespasses private sphere a bit too much for my liking. But doors... it's just polite, imho.

I'm quiet and tend not to stick up for myself in arguments because I'm me, and I have no clue how much being female, or my upbringing, or society as a whole contributes to that. It's just the way I am, and the way I've always been. My sister is female (well, duh), and had the same upbringing, and lives in the same society, and will argue anything with anyone, so it is just a personality trait, I guess.

Actually, I think a big part of me tending to be quiet about things has to do with me not really holding strong opinions on a lot of subjects, or rather, seeing both sides of most arguments, to a certain extent. Is that at all seen as a particularly feminine trait, or is it just a personal thing?

(I don't really known what I'd classify myself as. I tend to just see people as people, and it's rare that their gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, size, age or whatever really impacts on the way I treat them or think about them at all, in any way. So I guess humanist is probably the best word?)

Archived