Go Ahead and Date a Single Dad says CNN

Anatole Kuragin

I wouldn't mind dating a single dad (or a single mum), if I liked them in the first place and if I got along with their children. Regarding children on my own, I'm somewhat running out of time and I'm not sure if I really want to have biological children. However, I do along quite well with children, and I would actually like to live together with someone as a family with children. Imo, family doesn't need to be all about biological connections.

However, right now, I feel like one of those persons who will die alone, because I have even too many issues to find someone to date at all.

[quote name='Red Sun' post='1742500' date='Apr 2 2009, 13.01']However, right now, I feel like one of those persons who will die alone, because I have even too many issues to find someone to date at all.[/quote]

:grouphug: There's this great guy I know, but he's in the US. He's got a really cute little boy. He likes 80s heavy metal and horror stories and this one epic fantasy series. Maybe you two should meet.

This is a much better thread than the inane title suggested. I guess Anatole's genius flies below the radar.

I'm surprised that BlauerDragon, at age 32, thinks there are so few women who don't already have kids. I'm 31 and I see a lot of single women of the same age expressing anxiety about having kids before it's too late. It's possible that I hear more of that sentiment because they know my wife and I have a young child. Perhaps a random stranger would not hear it.

I gather it gets worse later, because I have known a couple of fortyish women with an unfulfilled desire for a baby and a near-militant attitude to dating to find a father NOW.

I was also struck by Rhelle's sympathy for WhiteQueen. I didn't think WQ feels that she needs any sympathy. In the scenario described, especially with the second post to elaborate, WQ seems to have a perfectly reasonable relationship with her stepson. If her stepson has no particular relationship with her husband, and is only a very infrequent presence in their lives, then it sounds like she behaves quite well toward him. Would a fake lovey-dovey attitude be better? Is she expected to genuinely love a near-stranger? I'd have some sympathy for the stepson, but if he has a strong, loving relationship with his stepfather, then he isn't in some terrible position that needs much sympathy either.

I've never been involved with a single mother and I have not had to address the issues shared in this thread. I can see how it can be a very big deal in relationships. It seems like the prevalence of divorce in America must make this a very common problem for people to deal with, especially from age 30 onward.

This is another of those cultural differences. My wife is the first and only American I dated, so I have never played the dating game in a pool that included divorcees with kids.

Ireland is very different in this area because, with basically no divorce there and abortion requiring a trip to England, single-motherhood (almost no single dads there) tends to be largely driven by unplanned pregnancies. There is also a large phenomenon of single-motherhood in name only because of govt benefits, where the father of the children, a long-term boyfriend, ends up living with them in the free housing provided to single mothers.

Considering I was only 22 when I left Ireland, there is no way I would have considered a relationship with a single mother at that age.

Maybe I need to go to Ireland. I'm most attracted to women with fair skin, freckles, and red hair (I hear Ireland has a few of those) and I find that accent irresistable. (It's 2nd on my list of sexiest accents right behind Australian).

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1742758' date='Apr 2 2009, 15.40']I'm most attracted to girls with short skirts and long jackets. They're smart as a tack and use a machete to cut through red tape.[/quote]
I'm not sure if I'd want to have two people swinging machetes in my house...

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1742782' date='Apr 2 2009, 15.56']Sorry.... but... machetes are sexy....
.....[/quote]
I agree. I just think that if she and I are both running around with machetes, it might be a bit too much.

Oh, and a woman that could cuss me out in Gaelic whenever she was mad at me would be a definate turn on...

Guest thebadlady
My sympathy comes from the jump down her throat reaction more than the actual living situation. Perhaps I was unclear (as usual). It takes a lot of guts to be truthful about a situation like that where you are expected to be totally accepting and loving of a kid whom you didn't bring about. Way back in the day, when I was pregnant with my son, I dated a guy (not the father of my son) who had a little girl. She was darling, smart and cute as a button and she hated my guts because her momma was jealous. We resolved it by me not seeing her often when she visited. May not have been the perfect solution, but we broke up then he died before we could really work it all out.

Red Sun, I hear ya.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1742758' date='Apr 2 2009, 18.40']I'm most attracted to girls with short skirts and long jackets. They're smart as a tack and use a machete to cut through red tape.[/quote]

I am will to bet she has fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass....

I think you could meet her at citi-bank, maybe you could meet accidentally, maybe you will start to talk when she borrows your pen.....

:smoking:

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1742579' date='Apr 2 2009, 15.58']Maybe I need to go to Ireland. I'm most attracted to women with fair skin, freckles, and red hair (I hear Ireland has a few of those) and I find that accent irresistable. (It's 2nd on my list of sexiest accents right behind Australian).[/quote]

I totally get the Irish thing, But Austraihlyeeahn? really? I still go for the Russian accents.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1742579' date='Apr 2 2009, 15.58']Maybe I need to go to Ireland. I'm most attracted to women with fair skin, freckles, and red hair (I hear Ireland has a few of those) and I find that accent irresistable. (It's 2nd on my list of sexiest accents right behind Australian).[/quote]

Since I left Ireland and traveled in the wider world, I've found that Irish women don't compare all that favorably. Too bland in appearance and outlook. But whatever floats your boat. Our biological imperative seems to like that which is different. Genetic diversity FTW.

If you do get to Ireland, you'll find that the accent varies enormously, even over a distance of just a few miles. I suggest you start in Donegal (in the northwest), where the accent is generally considered to be the sexiest.

[quote name='MojoJojo' post='1743812' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.40']I totally get the Irish thing, But Austraihlyeeahn? really? I still go for the Russian accents.[/quote]

All accents are better when you're drinking, and if you're hearing an Irish accent, there's a good chance you are.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1743903' date='Apr 3 2009, 21.29']And with this, the experiment is over.

OK Anatole, what are your findings?[/quote]

he really got serious answers

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1743903' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.29']And with this, the experiment is over.

OK Anatole, what are your findings?[/quote]

two things

1. The primary focus was to post a link to a stupid article about which arguing would have no point at all on our board and is basically stupid to even bring up. I intended it to be a bit of a satire about how people just find random articles and post them regardless of caring at all about the subject or about what people are going to say on the subject. Basically, people make threads to post a link to a CNN article just to post a link to a CNN article.

2. One can simply post a completely pointless article that is just the ramblings of an idiotic woman who likely shouldn't even be a journalist in the first place and people would find some way to argue about it. Won't even go into how every thread like this also eventually just becomes personal attacks and stupid hypothetical questions and suppositions.

[quote name='Anatole Kuragin' post='1744083' date='Apr 3 2009, 16.37']two things

1. The primary focus was to post a link to a stupid article about which arguing would have no point at all on our board and is basically stupid to even bring up. I intended it to be a bit of a satire about how people just find random articles and post them regardless of caring at all about the subject or about what people are going to say on the subject. Basically, people make threads to post a link to a CNN article just to post a link to a CNN article.

2. One can simply post a completely pointless article that is just the ramblings of an idiotic woman who likely shouldn't even be a journalist in the first place and people would find some way to argue about it. Won't even go into how every thread like this also eventually just becomes personal attacks and stupid hypothetical questions and suppositions.[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhTiJEYqqY8"]Bravo![/url]

Archived