What are you playing? Thread 2.0

Werthead

My boyfriend & i finally finished Twilight Princess last night after accidentally deleting our near-the-end save then having our wii stolen with the disc in it when attempting to play it through again. Hooray!

Now we're going to move on to Morrowind although unfortunately we played Oblivion first. We'll probably play Mass Effect again too as Elder Scrolls games are so huge.

I'm also playing Pokémon Sapphire on my DS but that's going to have to get off so i can finally replay Chrono Trigger.

Happy times.

Now we're going to move on to Morrowind although unfortunately we played Oblivion first.

Elder Scrolls fans spend a lot of time arguing about which one is better. I've not played Oblivion so I can't really venture an opinion, but a general consensus is that the graphics and travel options are better in Oblivion and most other things are better in Morrowind (so long as you're playing the Game of the Year Edition, which is patched and comes with at least one handy new tweak - enemies have visible health point gauges).

This article on Morrowind for Oblivion players might make a useful read.

Elder Scrolls fans spend a lot of time arguing about which one is better. I've not played Oblivion so I can't really venture an opinion, but a general consensus is that the graphics and travel options are better in Oblivion and most other things are better in Morrowind (so long as you're playing the Game of the Year Edition, which is patched and comes with at least one handy new tweak - enemies have visible health point gauges).

This article on Morrowind for Oblivion players might make a useful read.

I'm really looking forward to playing it though i imagine it will be weird after being used to the look of Oblivion. Luckily i'm not too bothered about graphics but it has amused me to see the representations of each of the races in the manual in comparison to their sparkly Cyrodiil incarnations.

Will have a look at the article, thank you :)

There was a Might & Magic that I played back in the day but I think it was III. Not positive though. Fuck, I'm trying to think of a landmark that I could throw out to determine which one I played....

I think the villain was Shelton but I don't know if he was unique to the game I played or was part of the overall series. I think the game started in Fountainhead? Obsidian dominated.

Might and Magic III: The Isles of Terra. My second RPG I ever completed after the original Eye of the Beholder. M&M 3 is still one of my favorite games ever. Tons of imaginative monsters and a great variety in lands and dungeons to explore. I still remember some of the dungeon names like: Cathedral of Carnage, Dungeon of Despair, and Halls of Insanity.

Played Pirates! for awhile lately. Having discovered that after a certain share of gold your crew will never mutiny (~1000 gold per man), I went around racking that up and now I've been sailing for ages non-stop. Duke with all four nations, much land, all but one of the famed pirates dead, half their treasures looted, Montalban defeated, and one of the Lost Cities of the Incas found. Very nice. It's good fun.

I'm thinking of wrapping up all the various set quests, and then maybe spending time harrassing the French until they send a Ship of the Line out.

I'm kind of pondering booting up Freelancer again, too. Or maybe continuing with Freespace 2, as I stopped mid-campaign.

I picked up Pirates! (the 2004 edition) a few days ago going very cheap at the local games store. Will give this a go in a few weeks once I've completed my planned replays.

Just finishing off Homeworld: Cataclysm. A great game, superior to Homeworld on almost every level but it lacks that slight sense of the vastness of space that the original had. Maybe Cataclysm is a little bit too action packed. And the mission where you have to fire on the Bentusi is still stupid.

And Freespace 2 is reasonably ordinary up until the halfway point. It's after that it goes insanely awesome :)

Ah, Homeworld 2. What a troubled game you are. In terms of atmosphere, music, graphics and presentation, just a fantastic game. But the controls are a bit off and the UI is way too cluttered compared to HW1 and HWC.

The most retarded thing about the game is the way the AI analyses your fleet at the start of every level and creates the enemy force on the map to be an effective challenge (usually making it 300% larger than whatever fleet you start with). That means the game is actually much easier if you scrap your entire fleet at the end of each mission and then rebuild it when the next one starts. In terms of suspension of disbelief-shattering stupidity goes, this is right up there with Oblivion's level-scaling, except that it doesn't appear to have been removed in a fan patch.

Annoying, but I've played this game so many times I can deal with it reasonably well.

Condemned 2 is all done now, well, nearly all done but I'll get to that. This is a much better game than the first condemned outing, hands down. The major criticism (that the plot goes pretty wild) is sort of kind of valid but the many ways its superior to the original make up for it. The environments are far more varied, the fighting is much deeper, the forensics is implemented better and the mission goals are far more varied than before.

Finishing it off also unlocks a FPS shooter mode, basically if you achieve gold scores in your investigations you get to play the game back through, but with guns and unlimited ammunition. Its actually still kind of hard believe it or not as you are much more fragile than before. Still, it plays well in this mode and gives that extra bit of replayability.

I've taken it online recently and the online play modes are actually kinda fun too. Worth a look says I.

Rented X-Blades. Didn't seem too bad at first, but once I got to level 2, I had to fight some type of boss character (really just fighting endlessly spawning minions). I tried it twice, taking about 15 minutes each time - have no idea how close I was to finishing it. It was just so tedius that I couldn't force myself to do it again, so I sent it back.

I'm now playing through Assassin's Creed again, along with hopping around all of the Guitar Hero games.

I'm in a bit of a quandary though. I have about 8 RPG's that I need to start getting through, but can't decide which to do to first. I'll probably end up finishing either Fable 2 (since it's supposed to be pretty short) or Star Ocean 4 (because I have put more time into it already than any of the others).

I'm in a bit of a quandary though. I have about 8 RPG's that I need to start getting through, but can't decide which to do to first. I'll probably end up finishing either Fable 2 (since it's supposed to be pretty short) or Star Ocean 4 (because I have put more time into it already than any of the others).

I find myself with a similar dilemma. I've put aside RPGs that I really want to play like The World Ends With You and Disgaea DS in favour of finishing off some of the RPGs I've already started like Chrono Trigger DS and Lost Odyssey. Problem is, the only time I tend to game these days is when I'm listening to podcasts and RPGs require far too much focus to provide good podcast gaming. It's much easier to pull out a Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts or Rune Factory 2 during those times.

I probably have a good 2 years worth of RPGs on my plate right now and I'm not making any progress whatsoever :P

I recently received Animal Crossing: Wild World as part of a game exchange -- great way to save money on gaming btw.

Honestly, I don't get it.

So far all I'm doing is completing some completely ridiculous fetch quests for a stupid Raccoon I apparently sold my soul to. Maybe I just have to stick with it a little longer but I've yet to see any of the sandbox aspects that I was anticipating in this game.

And... well... it is rather juvenile. I'm not agreeing with that redneck cop or anything, I'm just sayin' :P

I recently received Animal Crossing: Wild World as part of a game exchange -- great way to save money on gaming btw.

Honestly, I don't get it.

So far all I'm doing is completing some completely ridiculous fetch quests for a stupid Raccoon I apparently sold my soul to. Maybe I just have to stick with it a little longer but I've yet to see any of the sandbox aspects that I was anticipating in this game.

And... well... it is rather juvenile. I'm not agreeing with that redneck cop or anything, I'm just sayin' :P

After the first couple days it opens up a lot. Don't expect it to get super complicated, but you can catch different kinds of fish and bugs (for donation to museum or selling), collect paintings and fossils (same), and there are all kinds of events that happen at specific dates and times. There are holidays on appropriate days to match real-world holidays and events to go with them, every Saturday night K.K. Slider is in the coffee shop to play a song (which gets you a copy for the stereo in your house), that kind of thing. You can collect furniture, wallpaper and flooring to decorate your house, either with a mind towards matching (which gets your house ranked by the Happy Room Academy) or based on what you like.

That said, if you have a Wii, City Folk is better. It's damn near the same game, City Folk is just more polished and has a little more stuff.

Jumping around on a slew of games:

My main time is with Neverwinter Nights 2 with the expansions Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir in the wings.

Major Problems:

Party AI is really dumb. "No mage, I don't want you launching AOE spells from afar raining death but running up to the uber fighter stabbing him with your dinky dagger while the fighter kills you in two hits.

Pathfinding needs a GPS with distances over ten feet.

The game has major bug and stability issues.

Lack of variety of enemies but I'm still in the first act.

The rest is okay. Combat is good with strategy mode. I'm going through the course of the game from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Evil. I'm losing a lot of influence with my companions though.

Bionic Commando: Re-Armed. Did the first level and it's already difficult.

Devil May Cry 4: Stunning graphics and very fluid gameplay. I put this on when I want to kill shit.

Prince of Persia: The 2008 version. Haven't even booted this up yet.

Dead Space: Played first level and this one looks like fun. Should be called Limb Separation Simulator.

Demigod: A mishmash of genres that makes for addictive gameplay.

Cryostasis: This game had me at the guy coming at me with the axe. Still early but this one looks like a scary ride.

Mirror's Edge: Just did the tutorial. I might need a barf bag or dramamine for this one.

A Vampire Story: The art design is stunning. The main protagonist needs to be gaged though.

Jack Keane: Adventure fix #2

Ceville: Adventure fix #3

Sam and Max: Season One: Adventure fix #4 ( Yep. Adventure games are dead.)

World Of Goo: Cute, weird, addictive, challenging.

Braid: Cute, compelling, additive, challenging.

Red Alert 3: Just did the first two missions and I really love the gonzo units and hammy atmosphere. I have Uprising after I finish this one.

I still have a shitload of PS2 and a few Gamecube games on my to be played cue but I may not get to them for awhile. Good thing the only console this generation I'm interested in is the PS3.

some good stuff here, some thoughts:

Bionic Commando: Re-Armed. Did the first level and it's already difficult.

It's tough, but nothing like the NES game. Try it in co-op, it owns.

Mirror's Edge: Just did the tutorial. I might need a barf bag or dramamine for this one.

I loved this game, good luck getting over the motion sickness :(

Jack Keane: Adventure fix #2

Playing this one myself, just started.

Sam and Max: Season One: Adventure fix #4 ( Yep. Adventure games are dead.)

This is pretty great, if you like it the Strong Bad game from the same company is great too. There's also a new Wallace & Gromit one starting that I haven't tried. I <3 Telltale.

Braid: Cute, compelling, additive, challenging.

Do yourself a favor and do zero cheating and looking up solutions. The game is awesome and you'll hate yourself if you ruin your own experience.

last week a friend and i spent 3 days straight playing a co-op tower defense game for the ps3

comet crash

this game is insanely fun. I love the way you gather resources. Fighting over Thorium even with a co-op teammate is very fun. I cant wait until we try to play against each other, and playing a game against 3 other players would be amazing too bad they don't have online play

this was my first tower defense type strategy game the only other strategy games I have played and liked are civilization and hero's of might an magic

can anyone else tell me of some other strategy games you can play co-op?

last week a friend and i spent 3 days straight playing a co-op tower defense game for the ps3

comet crash

this game is insanely fun. I love the way you gather resources. Fighting over Thorium even with a co-op teammate is very fun. I cant wait until we try to play against each other, and playing a game against 3 other players would be amazing too bad they don't have online play

this was my first tower defense type strategy game the only other strategy games I have played and liked are civilization and hero's of might an magic

can anyone else tell me of some other strategy games you can play co-op?

Red Alert 3 has a co-op mode and so does Company of Heroes on the PC, but only if you have the latest expansion.

Red Alert 3 has a co-op mode and so does Company of Heroes on the PC, but only if you have the latest expansion.

the co-op on red alert 3 is over the internet not just with another controller right?

does the co-op work with both people on the same system?

Dead Space: Played first level and this one looks like fun. Should be called Limb Separation Simulator.

On that note I finished up Dead Space last week. Blasting off limbs never got repetitive for me. In fact I enjoyed the game so much that I watched Alien the other night and plan to watch Event Horizon tomorrow. Science fiction and horror, what a match made in heaven. :love:

Also started playing Half Life 2: Episode One this morning and to my total shock had completed it by early afternoon. Maybe I went into it with high expectations but I wasn't expecting it to be that short. Good solid fun though, and I liked how Gordon's companion Alyx not only had a personality that didn't piss me off, but was actually a competent comrade and the developers had tried to be a little innovative in our she interacted in the gameplay. The story didn't advance much, if at all, but the ending gave a nice set up for Episode Two, which I'll probably start playing next week.

On that note I finished up Dead Space last week. Blasting off limbs never got repetitive for me. In fact I enjoyed the game so much that I watched Alien the other night and plan to watch Event Horizon tomorrow. Science fiction and horror, what a match made in heaven. :love:

The game totally had the same effect on me. Don't forget to also watch Lifeforce it's similar in tone as well :P

Archived