What are you playing? Thread 2.0

Werthead

Finished my replay of the Homeworld trilogy. There is so much awesome there, despite the flaws. They've definitely aged better than most other games as well.

Now starting a Mafia replay. Definitely one of the most underrated games of all time, and the sequel is due in a few months (which I was meh about until it was made clear the same writers were working on it and there's a brilliant intersection with the original game that I wasn't expecting).

the co-op on red alert 3 is over the internet not just with another controller right?

does the co-op work with both people on the same system?

I haven't played the console version, so I don't know I'm afraid.

Playing some more Lux-Pain. I understand why some people would be instantly turned off by such a title -- it's not so much a 'game' as an interactive story -- but I don't think it's entirely deserving of all the negative reviews it's been getting. It's got an interesting (if convoluted) story, good anime-style artwork, and some interesting NPCs.

I'm currently anticipating Atlus' upcoming game schedule quite a bit. I've preordered a bunch of Atlus titles such as Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Summoner 2, Shin Megami Tensai: Devil Survivor -- two SMT titles, yay! -- Steal Princess and Knights in the Nightmare.

It's a bit of a splurge but I probably won't be buying any more games until Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins come out later this year.

Guess I spoke too soon Re: Starlancer and crashes. On mission 13, every time I've played it so far I've crashed. Dammit.

Wert, I don't suppose you have a save for mission 14 lying around on your hard drive?

No. I've never played it on my current computer as I don't have a USB joystick, and my old PCs with all my old save files got sold off more than a year ago :(

Still re-re-replaying Master of Magic. This game is still the undisputed king of "One more turn syndrome". Old school, baby.

I really hope Stardocks' upcoming Elemental game can channel some of the old games magic. Shit, there are about two horrible puns in that sentence alone. The only thing that has me worried is that in Elemental their are numerous factions to plays as, but they are all basically human beings. Part of the fun of MoM was playing as and conquering all the interesting and prototypical fantasy races.

We shall see.

Eye of the Beholder....

Aaah the hours i spent playing EotB2. That game really really rocked. The third I couldn't really get into. I suppose if I had kept my characters saved I'd have had more fun.

Sierra's Hero's Quest series (renamed to Quest for Glory later on) is something I'd like to replay. I finished the first four, but went and got distracted by things that only a 16 year old can be distracted by and never finished the fifth one.

Huh. I think the crashes were related to either spyware/malware or one of those really goddamn annoying CD DRM things (not starforce, one of the others). Because I cleaned that stuff off, and then it ran problem free once more. Now on mission 21 or so, which is presenting a very compelling argument for save points or quicksaves in space combat games. Making the player sit through a six minute sequence before the mission proper begins...well, it's fine the first time. But if you die and have to restart, that gets really old really fast.

Unfortunately, the only space--or even flight--game I've ever played that had checkpoints was Independence War: Defiance. Which I think I'll replay after I beat Starlancer.

Anyone looking forward to the console version of The Witcher like I was isn't going to like this news.

Looks like even selling a million and a half copies of a PC-only RPG title (seriously, in this day and age that is brilliant going) wasn't enough to keep up confidence at the company.

On the plus side, we still get The Witcher 2.

And I still need to actually finish the first one.

Looks like even selling a million and a half copies of a PC-only RPG title (seriously, in this day and age that is brilliant going) wasn't enough to keep up confidence at the company.

On the plus side, we still get The Witcher 2.

And I still need to actually finish the first one.

I've got my fingers crossed on The Witcher 2 -- sounds like the company itself isn't doing so well. Still, I was looking forward to catching up on the original game -- which I can't run on my crappy computer -- on the 360.

Thing is, wasn't it supposed to be out later this year? One would think if that were the case development would have been pretty far along. I know games get scrapped all the time, but this one in particular seems like quite the loss :(

Checked out Mirror's Edge. It fun, much better than the demo made it look. The controls can be imprecise at times - most noteable when walking along a ledge. And, wow, it is short. I sat down with this for 2 hours yesterday, and I'm already halfway through. And I often have to play through sections several times as I am missing jumps and plummeting to my doom.

At least I don't have to worry about it getting in the way of Broken Steel in a few days. I should be able to play through it 2 or 3 times by then.

The Civilization series were great but CIV4 was too complex. Too much things to think about (and too slow). I still play 3-conquests a lot.

The same with Heroes of Might and Magic; 5 was much.

At this moment I play Baldur's Gate. Through a fan site I downloaded a number of mods so I can play Baldur's Gate, Swords of Amn and Throne of Baal! Plus a number of great extra quests!!!

Started Fallout 3 on my PC and I am loving it! Kudos for being a relatively recent PC game that runs well on my old PC - great optimization. For comparison Mass Effect is impossible on my rig. I love VATS, animations may not be great, but they sure add a lot of character, wasteland is very atmospheric, exploration is great fun.

Yes, writing and voice acting could have used improvement - but they do the job, certainly much better than in any previous Beth title. As always in first person games, I miss climbing, but game industry in general disagrees with me, sadly.

I am having a total blast with F3 and I have high hopes for the Obsidian-produced spin-off. Too bad that they'll have to add some graphics improvements (upping sys reqs :( ) for reviewers not to take them apart...

I am also playing a port of the "Flight of the Amazon Queen" on my iTouch. What an enjoyable game! I have totally missed the P&C adventures in their heyday - never even tried a single one, however a couple of years ago I have downloaded fan-made sequels to the "Broken Sword" and "Zack McCracken" series, liked them and have been puttering around them off and on.

But this game has it all - funny writing, good, though retro-quality, voice-acting, fair, logical puzzles and being on a small touch screen, the graphics look quite nice, too.

Too bad that the game has been pulled down from the iTunes for some reason. I mean, it is legally freeware, has been made freeware with some fanfare to showcase ScummVM. Blipping copyright zealots! I'd really wish to see other legal freeware ports on the Touch - like "Betrayal at Krondor" and "Beneath the Steel Sky", but the way they are handling it, it looks like I'll have to jailbreak :( .

"Glyder" on the Touch - a really beautiful, relaxing motorless flight game. Great for unwinding in the evenings. I feel guilty getting it for only a 80 cents (EU).

"Dark Raider" on the Touch. There is so much content in this game - lots of levels, constant action, environmental puzzles, etc. Unfortunately, I never had anything to do with D-pads previously and we don't love each other... Will try to improve with diligence ;) .

I gave up on Starlancer's final mission (ragequit!) and then at some point in the final stretch in WC:Prophecy I ran into a bug that makes me fail a mission before my fighter even leaves the carrier.

So now it's X-Wing Alliance and Freespace.

Never got round to completing Starlancer and the harddisk my saves were on is long dead. Still got the game but the reproted problems with XP make me reluctant to reinstall it. I did complete WC:Prophecy and the expansion. The expansion was pretty good though suffers from having no FMV scenes. The story was more epic than Prophecy as the Nephilim were invading Confed space yet it was hard to get into the story. On the other hand the weapons and ships had been upgraded. The only bug I came across in the expansion pack was that one time, after completing a bugger of a mission, my fighter wouldnt dock, forcing me to redo it another time. I tried to replay The Darkening: Privateer 2 a couple of years ago. The FMV scenes are still awesome but the game ran too quickly on todays tech.

I'm housesitting at my parents house for a couple of weeks and brought my Xbox down with me. Finalyl completed Resident Evil 5 :smoking: and have now started Silent Hill: Homecoming (pretty scary) and Fallout 3.

I'm also messing about with the Sega Megadrive game pack on the XBox with 40 Megadrive games (all the Sonic the Hedgehog ones) and several Master System games. It has the Master System Phantasy star and the Megadrive Phantasy Stars 2,3 and 4. Combine that with the other RPGs and it's got the potential to take up a lot of time.

Archived