Swine flu outbreak in Mexico

IheartTesla

cuz your older and more aware now then you were then of a final end death? maybe.

i used to be terrified of this sort of shit. bought into all the media induced hysteria. not buying into it atm. seems way too early for panic.

Prime example of this this morning on the news:

'The market is reacting to the imminent threat of a pandemic breakout of swine flu, and has dropped 12 points.'

Um.......

Well, looks like hard-working American flu's have been replaced by Mexican immigrants. Saw that coming.

:rofl:

Sad but true. I already heard someone say they weren't going to the Mexican store for tortillas anymore.

Now what I'm really looking for is linking this to Obama as proof that he is the anti-Christ.

Didn't he just come back from Mexico??? :idea:

:rofl:

Sad but true. I already heard someone say they weren't going to the Mexican store for tortillas anymore.

Now what I'm really looking for is linking this to Obama as proof that he is the anti-Christ.

Didn't he just come back from Mexico??? :idea:

Dear god you may be onto something! Time to go sharpen the pitchforks and prepare the torches.

Trashcan Man is coming. Quick, find the oldest, blindest black woman you know and cleave to her!

heh, I was singing "Among the Living" by Anthrax this morning

"I am the Walking Dude, I can see all the world..."

Early reports indicate that the swine-flu is behaving similar to how the Spanish Flu behaved, with cytokine storms and secondary pulmonary problems, and as such it is more dangerous to healthy individuals. The people who die from influenza in any given year are the weak and infirm, people whose immune systems cannot fight off the infection. If it is true that the swine-flu is causing cytokine storms, a much larger segment of the population runs the risk of dying.

I'm not aware of any information about the exact cause of death in the Mexican clusters. At most, we have as of yet unconfirmed reports that some of the mortality is occurring among young adults, but clusters outside of Mexico have not evidenced anything more than mild symptoms or, in some cases, completely asymptomatic infection. The virulence of this novel H1N1 strain is not yet determined. The risks in influenza are more specifically primary viral pneumonia or secondary bacterial infection.

I saw one of those Discovery or History Channel documentaries and they were talking about the possibility of extraterrestrial origin for diseases and at least one researcher they had on believed that the 1918 pandemic might have been "not of this Earth." H's not saying it was, just that he thinks it's highly possible. His main reasoning is that it first appeared in completely different parts of the world on the same day (Sierra Leon and Boston, if memory serves). In the modern world, that wouldn't be so hard to make sense of with modern jet liners but in 1918, nine years before Lindberg's famous trans-Atlantic flight, that sort of thing should not have been possible. It would have been one thing for it to occur in both Boston and Chicago on the same day - railroads at the time could have traversed those distances quickly, but Boston and Sierra Leon is another matter.

Brude,

I saw one of those Discovery or History Channel documentaries and they were talking about the possibility of extraterrestrial origin for diseases and at least one researcher they had on believed that the 1918 pandemic might have been "not of this Earth." H's not saying it was, just that he thinks it's highly possible. His main reasoning is that it first appeared in completely different parts of the world on the same day (Sierra Leon and Boston, if memory serves). In the modern world, that wouldn't be so hard to make sense of with modern jet liners but in 1918, nine years before Lindberg's famous trans-Atlantic flight, that sort of thing should not have been possible. It would have been one thing for it to occur in both Boston and Chicago on the same day - railroads at the time could have traversed those distances quickly, but Boston and Sierra Leon is another matter.

You should read the Great Influenza. We don't know with any degree of certainty where the disease originated. Therefore having it pop up in two places at once isn't a sign of "extraterrestrial origin". It simply means we can't show for sure where the bug started and then spread too.

Yet we certainly had boats in 1918 and centuries before that, which is how many a cholera/plague epidemic spread around the world. How else did smallpox come to the Americas, for that matter?

Not worried at all.

This virus bullshit hits the media every few months, because nothing produces news like the 4 horseman of the apocolypse. Plus you don't Tivo this shit, you watch it live, COMMERCIALS AND ALL!

You're only about a million times more likly to die from a drunk driver today than die to pig flu. When thousands of people die from something every week, then I'll get concerned.

And it continues...

The travel advisories are laughable. We have exactly 6 confirmed cases in Canada, 4 in Nova Scotia, of which 3 have already recovered completely from minor flu-like symptoms. I'll be in hospital tomorrow and Wednesday, so I'll ask whether they're seeing anything. I doubt it though.

Archived