Swine flu outbreak in Mexico

IheartTesla

Either I can do simple math better than most or there is some alien mutated cell under a microscope somewhere where this virus looks like it came from John Carpenter's "The Thing". 92 cases (USA) in a population of over 350 MILLION is hardly a scare and not even worth a second of my thoughts. That's less than 1 case per 2 million people. Chances of being injured or killed by a toilet? 1 per 10,000 people. Which is more likely?

That apparently didn't stop my wife's school district (she teaches 4th grade) from closing 4 schools because a kid might have it.

WHO doesn't raise the pandemic threat level to attempt to cause a panic.

Why don't you start with researching how often they raise their "threat levels" (god i hate that term).

I'm not aware of any change in the threat levels prior to the current events. Influenza spreads easily, and if a novel strain to which people have little immunity becomes transmissable human-to-human, it may go a lot further. However, there's a big difference between appropriate precautions and paranoia.

know, the ones who go into work and then infect the entire office with some horrible viral plague -- be it a nasty head cold or norovirus or swine flu -- instead of staying home and keeping your grody viruses to yourself. Your department head is right for quarantining your virus-shedding hide, no matter what the virus actually is.

hahahahahah

scot--

do we have your opinion on the record vis-a-vis that guy with TB who was on the plane last year? (or has that thread been purged?)

According to the BBC, level 5 is when there is human to human transmission in two countries or more.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, but I misremembered the article I read. Here is the WHO link to how they evaluate threat levels

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

Holy fuck............. My wife's entire school district, in a city with almost one million people....right next to a city with two million people closed until May 8th just now.

If this ends up being nothing part of me will be happy and the rest will never buy into any serious health panic ever unless I actually physically see a dead person.

If this ends up being nothing part of me will be happy and the rest will never buy into any serious health panic ever unless I actually physically see a dead person.

Please consider that the precautions being taken may well be the reason why it turns out to seem like nothing.

Please consider that the precautions being taken may well be the reason why it turns out to seem like nothing.

It could be. But closing the district while letting people still work congregate there makes the closings futile. On the news they are advising against going to movie theatres, etc. Places where people gather in other words.

Parents are worried but really have no idea what to do. They expected their kid to be at school, they have to work, days cares are closed, what are they supposed to do? Take all next week off? It's not realistic for them. I guess they'll have to find a way though, we'll see how it goes. As of now it is over 90,000 kids with no school until the 8th of May at the least.

They expected their kid to be at school, they have to work, days cares are closed, what are they supposed to do? Take all next week off? It's not realistic for them.

That, in and of itself, is pretty messed up.

[Eagerly awaits news of the South Carolina outbreak]

Well, in all honesty, when debating over possible causes of human extinction, noone suspected pigs.

Yeah, if this turns out to be a super deadly pandemic, then we totally have to rename it. Having millions of people killed by 'Swine Flu' just sounds totally lame. Talk about a huge lack of foresight on the media's part. Idiots.

Yeah, if this turns out to be a super deadly pandemic, then we totally have to rename it. Having millions of people killed by 'Swine Flu' just sounds totally lame. Talk about a huge lack of foresight on the media's part. Idiots.

They are pushing to call it the H1N1 virus, which sounds very sci-fi thriller.

Holy fuck............. My wife's entire school district, in a city with almost one million people....right next to a city with two million people closed until May 8th just now.

Now, here's a scenario I wouldn't mind. I remember a few years ago we had a viral epidemic here and we closed all schools for a week.

I do agree though, what to do with the kids in cases like this is a serious problem.

I'm happy to report that mass hysteria hasn't taken over the Greek media, not yet. Give us a few more days, until we have a suspect case ourselves and then we'll be all over this.

Archived